The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    PF targets that might be in reach via trade or MLE offer: Faried, Mirotic, Motiejunas, Jones, Jared Dudley, Leuer.

But I'm starting to think it might be too difficult to get any of them.
    Brandon Bass with MLE?

Edit: Darrell Arthur another possible MLE guy.
    Last edited by 3inthekeon; Fri Jun 24, 2016, 08:44 AM.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Let's say we chase some PF's but don't have enough cash to get them, and the prices in trade are ridiculous. What then?

Well, my idea is to stock up on pieces to be used at the deadline for a big upgrade.

Have Siakam sign in the D-League for a year (or overseas), which he might be open to since we reached down to him.

Give JJ ~6M per year for 2 years (12M total), second year unguaranteed. Can use his early Bird rights for this. That's probably more than he sniffs on the market, and he provides 3/4 depth in the meantime. Also makes for a nice salary ballast trade chip come the trade deadline or following draft.

Then use the MLE to give an undrafted player with promise (or even DeAndre Daniels) or a depth vet (like Scola but definitely not Scola) a 3 year, 18M deal, but with the second and third years completely unguaranteed. The 5.6M guaranteed in the 1st year is far more than a vet min or rookie min would fetch them for several years, so it shouldn't be a hard sell to get the unguaranteed years.

Then use the BAE to give another undrafted player a 2 year deal at 2.2M per year (again, second year unguaranteed). A rookie minimum deal over two years is worth 1.4M, so again it should be no trouble getting that unguaranteed year.

That fills up your roster (10 contracts, 2 returnees - DD and JJ, 1 draft pick and 2 free agents with exceptions). It also leaves you about 2M shy of the tax (assuming DD signs for the max, if he signs for a little less that helps).

It also gives you the following packages to bring back salary in trades:

Ross - can bring back 15M.
      Ross + JJ - can bring back 20.6M.
      Ross + JJ + MLE signing - can bring back 26.5M.
      Ross + JJ + MLE + BAE signing - can bring back 29.3M.

Plus of course picks and prospects would be outgoing as well, which edges up each of those numbers slightly.

All mean going into the tax, but all stay under the apron (which is a hard cap in this scenario).

Ideally, of course, we find a PF upgrade this summer, but if that fails there is still opportunity to prepare to upgrade later in the season.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• There is the possibility that OKC may waive Ersan to save 8 million

would love if this happened and Raps capitalized and signed him to a multi-year deal

if not -- maybe we can somehow pry Dario Saric from the 76ers. Ross is a BC guy (somehow turn ross + delon into covington + saric + future pick?)

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          PF targets that might be in reach via trade or MLE offer: Faried, Mirotic, Motiejunas, Jones, Jared Dudley, Leuer.

But I'm starting to think it might be too difficult to get any of them.
          I really like Leuer and think he'll be around. The Suns have like 12 PFs now I think

Comment

• Has Bebe been traded yet?
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• connected wrote: View Post
              There is the possibility that OKC may waive Ersan to save 8 million

would love if this happened and Raps capitalized and signed him to a multi-year deal

if not -- maybe we can somehow pry Dario Saric from the 76ers. Ross is a BC guy (somehow turn ross + delon into covington + saric + future pick?)
              Ilyasova is so terrible. Maybe even more inconsistent than Ross if that's possible.

I like Leuer. I think we're going to need to take a flyer on some hidden upside guys like him at the four.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Ilyasova is so terrible. Maybe even more inconsistent than Ross if that's possible.

I like Leuer. I think we're going to need to take a flyer on some hidden upside guys like him at the four.
                He's already 27 yrs old (like PP) so I doubt he's going to suddenly bust out. But I'd be ok with him playing filler minutes (behind PP and sometimes a rook or two) on a cheap contract. I think he'd fit in with any lineup (like PP) and I don't think he'll be in super high demand either (like PP?). Pretty sure Phx won't be keeping him around if they need minutes for Bender and Chriss.
                Last edited by Mess; Fri Jun 24, 2016, 04:12 PM.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Jon Leur! SIGN JON LEUR!

Unless he gets some ridiculous contract
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Basically all we have is the MLE, so keep that in mind when aiming for FA's. Leuer might be available for 6M, might not. Probably a decent target.

You want anything better, and we enter sign and trade possibilities sending Ross the other way. Motiejunas from HOU? Jones instead? Or just trades using Ross or other pieces of course.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Its crazy how carmelo didnt sign with bulls a few years ago, so instead the bulls team is coming to him with Joakim potentially going there

Our rival might start becoming scary

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        Jon Leur! SIGN JON LEUR!

Unless he gets some ridiculous contract
                        Is he an upgrade over Scola or Thompson? If so, even if it's by a small margin, I'm all for it.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                          Is he an upgrade over Scola or Thompson? If so, even if it's by a small margin, I'm all for it.
                          100% an upgrade over those 2. He shot 48% from the field and 38% from 3 last season. He is a nice stretch 4.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                            100% an upgrade over those 2. He shot 48% from the field and 38% from 3 last season. He is a nice stretch 4.
                            He sure moves around a lot

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                              He's already 27 yrs old (like PP) so I doubt he's going to suddenly bust out. But I'd be ok with him playing filler minutes (behind PP and sometimes a rook or two) on a cheap contract. I think he'd fit in with any lineup (like PP) and I don't think he'll be in super high demand either (like PP?). Pretty sure Phx won't be keeping him around if they need minutes for Bender and Chriss.
                              He's only played 3500 minutes in his career. He might be a DeMarre Carroll-type late bloomer; Carroll had only played 2300 minutes prior to his first season with Atlanta. (The difference of 1200 is about half a season at 30 minutes a game.)

I mean he's not my rockstar pick but if guys like Horford don't pan out then we'll have to dig a little for value.

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
                                Its crazy how carmelo didnt sign with bulls a few years ago, so instead the bulls team is coming to him with Joakim potentially going there

Our rival might start becoming scary
                                I know the gut reaction is to scoff because its the Knicks and they've been bad for so long, but they will be a problem next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X