The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I like the Sullinger acquisition. We finally have a legit low-post scoring threat. If used correctly, this should help balance our guard-heavy offense.
    "If used correctly" is the killer qualifier here. The guards still have to pass to him.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
      why would we expect sullinger to get post touches when we already have a better post player who doesn't?
      Casey's shown the ability to grow from one off-season to the next. I expect that trend to continue this year.

Comment

• I really like this signing, in terms of talent. Don't like that we'll inevitably lose him next year, but I guess if you can find a guy like Biz or Sully every summer there's no harm in it.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Casey's shown the ability to grow from one off-season to the next. I expect that trend to continue this year.
          Yeah no way he plays a slow footed guy next to JV again.. right?

Comment

• I actually think Sully could start - whether he should or not is up for debate, but I don't think the dichotomy between Pat starting or off the bench will be as significant this year. Because Sully should also be playing a bunch of back up C minutes - we'll have a pretty solid 3 man big rotation (with some spot minutes from guys like BeBe, Poeltl, Carroll to fill in gaps) and all of them will get significant minutes in all three combinations. Scola and PP both just played PF, and his fit was so terrible that the team was digging holes. Sully is not Scola, not remotely.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
              Yeah no way he plays a slow footed guy next to JV again.. right?
              He very well could play a slow-footed guy next to JV again.

But if Casey trusts both slow-footed guys enough to give them the ball in high percentage situations, their slow-footedness could be offset by improved offensive efficiency.

Net positive, perhaps?

Comment

• That's one off my list. Larry Sanders or Terrence Jones being the other two options.

Next let's get Vince Carter for cash considerations and start the season!
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

• clearly this is a pitstop move...the trade value for Ross our only expendable asset of value must not be bringing back any PF that actually moves the needle and Sully was the best player available for the cap room we had...do I love the signing? no. Is it better than doing nothing or signing one of rest of the FA's that are currently available? hell yes. is it better than giving up huge amounts of assets outside of Ross for a guy like Noel or Faried? hell yes. 1 yr $5.6mil for a big upgrade over Scola while keeping Patterson coming off the bench for depth. Solid B grade move.
                  Last edited by RepTdot; Mon Jul 11, 2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    To be clear, Pat should be the starter at the 4. There's no real case for Sully starting over pat.
                    Depends what you want from your starters and bench. I could see Patt + Bebe/Jakob off the bench, or Sully + Siakam. Other combinations I'm not so sure.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                      That's one off my list. Larry Sanders or Terrence Jones being the other two options.

Next let's get Vince Carter for cash considerations and start the season!
                      Would LOVE Sanders if he signs for the bi-annual exception ($2.2mil), he's the ultimate Biz replacement. he had a mental breakdown...not gonna fault him over mental illness if he's recovered from it.

Comment

• I don't buy that he's an upgrade over Scola. He's a comparable to Scola. Might as well just throw Bruno in there and save the money (only half kidding there).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I don't buy that he's an upgrade over Scola. He's a comparable to Scola. Might as well just throw Bruno in there and save the money (only half kidding there).
                          If Scola wasn't hitting 3's, he was of zero value.

Sullinger brings much more skill to the roster.

Comment

• Comment

• yea, Sully was a starter on a very good Boston team that avg 10 & 8...Scola was basically a locker room vet that looked washed up 20 games in and was relegated to the bench...Also Sully is 24, Scola should be retiring lol He's an upgrade

Comment

• Disappointed Masai couldn't at least resign JJ.

That cap space is gone to waste now and we won't be able to use it so it would've been nice to see him keep that asset. Would've been another body to throw at PF, and would give us a backup SF, whether Casey uses him or not.

Seems like there really wasn't any reason not to have resigned him.

Comment

Working...
                                X