Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should Raps roster be constructed to beat CAVS next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebrian wrote: View Post
    The only way the Raptors can beat the Cavs next year is if Lebron beats the Warriors this month thereby fulfilling his goal to bring Cleveland a championship, and then opts out and moves back to Miami.

But then we'll have the issue of trying to be the Heat in the ECF.

I've been saying this since about Game 3 of the ECF. As long as Lebron stays in the East, our realistic ceiling over the next 2-3 seasons is winning 3 games in the Eastern Conference Finals. We got to 2, and we're hoping to get to 3.
    I don't agree with that at all. The Cav's are so old and rely so much on LeBron to do so much. The blue print on how to beat them or LeBron is out there already. It's about collecting the right players to do it. I don't think we are that far away.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      We would beat them. Regular season record against a team means nothing.
      So then the opposite of the regular season should be the expectation? Chicago is a legitimate threat to any team in the NBA when healthy. Granted I don't have a clue what Hoiberg is doing, but there is a lot of talent on that roster. They have us out classed at near every critical spot when healthy.

Comment

suspenders wrote: View Post
        We should be constructed so that we can beat any team.

Remember the Chicago Bulls? We haven't beat them since December 31st, 2013.

Assuming they don't make any major trades this offseason, what if we were to face them in the first round next year?
        Good point. I think they COULD beat us. NBA truly is all about match ups. To win you need to put yourself in a position to win.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
          So then the opposite of the regular season should be the expectation? Chicago is a legitimate threat to any team in the NBA when healthy. Granted I don't have a clue what Hoiberg is doing, but there is a lot of talent on that roster. They have us out classed at near every critical spot when healthy.
          Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. The Raptors are a better team than the Bulls as currently constructed.

And no, the opposite should not be the expectation. I'm saying you should put far more weight in the teams' performances over 82 games than in a measly 4 games against each other.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. The Raptors are a better team than the Bulls as currently constructed.

And no, the opposite should not be the expectation. I'm saying you should put far more weight in the teams' performances over 82 games than in a measly 4 games against each other.
            I agree. But the Bulls scare me far more than any other team in the east.

Comment

Bring back JJ, DD

Draft a Chriss-ish player to push Ppat in a contract season.

Say goodbye to Scola and Biyombo. Perhaps Keep JT at a real team friendly deal.

Expect 10-20 lbs added to the Brazilians come training camp.

If Bruno can be taught the 4 spot we have the talent to cover some of our holes.

Much like manys have said, keep our powder dry and see if we can't capitalize mid-season/deadline and get a great player. We aren't falling out of the playoff picture all of a sudden, so we can afford to wait for a choice move.

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
                I'd love to agree with you, but we would both be wrong.
                Yes, Lebron is a great player, but:
                -We won 2 games with Scola
                -Way less than 100% Carroll
                -So-so Kyle & DD;
                -Injured JVal
                Unless Cavs win next 2 & Love goes for 20 & 15 -He is gone. Usually when you make a panic move like that -you don't get better;
                -Lefake is getting older & heavy minutes 7 yrs in a row have to take a toll EVENTUALLY;
                -TT is their only big (OK maybe Frye too) -Lots of pressure in a long season (I's assuming they loose Mozgov);
                -Basically only chance of getting better -another guy like Jefferson taking Vets minimum;
                -And lastly: Now we have experience of going deeper in playoffs.
                You probably wrote this before the Cavs won game 6. I'll respond to a few of your points.

I think the Cavs are fine without Love, so if they can get players in return that can log actual useful, "positive" minutes, they're already a better team from that trade. And if they do get some players who can contribute (they don't actually need to), then that means less minutes for Lebron so that point is moot as well.

I'm personally not convinced that Carroll will be any better next year than he was this year in his limited half-injured body. I'm sure he'll score a bit more and hopefully occasionally hit those wide open 3s, but overall I continue to be convinced that Carroll is overrated. That said we do need him because our SF/PF situation leaves much to be desired. I think the desire that many fans (myself included) of seeing Carroll play capably as a PF is a pipe dream that we only wish because we see other teams doing it and hope we can do the same. I think if you look at his career trajectory though, the hope for a 100% Carroll may be another pipe dream.

Lefake? Please tell me this is a joke.

The way I see it is Cavs are better, way better, than the Raptors. There's a wide chasm between the talent level of this season's Cavaliers and our Toronto Raptors. You said "basically only chance of getting better is another guy like Jefferson getting a Vets minimum", they're not the team that has to get way better to be able to match our talent level, it's us. It's on Masai to bring us there, and I don't see how he can do that in this offseason without some crazy moves and some generous home-town discounts.

That's why for me, if we can win 3 games in the ECF then I'm a happy guy. By all means if you want to aim higher you can, but I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  I don't agree with that at all. The Cav's are so old and rely so much on LeBron to do so much. The blue print on how to beat them or LeBron is out there already. It's about collecting the right players to do it. I don't think we are that far away.
                  What's the blue print? Is there another Draymond Green and Steph Curry out there to be had?
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

The Cavs need to ship out Love and replace him by upgrading over Jefferson. They'd be very good with a (healthy) Wes Matthews-type at SF, LeBron at PF, TT at C.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I agree, and I think the Cavs are in a relatively easy position of retooling their roster. I think regardless of if they win this thing or not, Love can be shipped out for a two-way wing player. Despite his struggles, Love is still a very good player that perhaps just doesn't fit with what they demand from him. Would Houston be interested? They seem hell bent on building a team that doesn't defend.

And they should be able to find a vet that will replace (or at least displace and eventually phase out) JR Smith.

Edit: Here's a deal that works.

Houston gets Kevin Love
                      Cleveland gets Corey Brewer, Trevor Ariza

Cleveland gets exactly what they want; Houston is losing Howard and get Love. Capella can slide into the starting role and they have a couple of young guys to take over the spots of Ariza and Brewer. Done and done.
                      Last edited by ebrian; Fri Jun 17, 2016, 10:34 AM.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        July 1 is coming quickly . It looks likely that DD will be resigned. Biyombo status is still up in the air. Moving forward what is it going to take to have legitimate shot to beat CAVS next season? Short of signing KD as our starting PF(DanH can advise re cap problems) is there a way we could be built to beat CAVS next season? It looks likely that Kevin Love will be moved in offseason . Much of what happens in the next month will determine if we could be in the conversation or not.
                        Sign Lebron James.

Comment

What if once Lebron wins a chip for Cleveland, he decides that he now wants to win one in Toronto. How interesting would Lebrons legacy be if he brought Canada an NBA championship??

Dropping championships around like Jonny Appleseed.
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Looking at how the Cavs are playing against GS, it clearly emphasizes the need for a paint presence, for a couple of reasons:

- When GS's guards go through a rough stretch, the team can't score. Having a low post presence who can score consistently would really help them push through slumps offensively. Post ups aren't incredible productive compared to three point shots or the PnR, but they have a lot of secondary benefits and can be a reliable source for a needed bucket.

- LeBron and Kyrie drive and there is no rim protection. I'm not talking about the lack of an elite shot blocker, but rather there is nobody in the paint that can even just play big....the Cavs just shoot over the 6'7" Draymond.

Basically our roster should be built around low post scoring, PnR, shooting, and being able to attack closeouts.

JV is one guy and can't do it all, so I would say having another dominant low post presence at the PF (instead of a face up guy like Patterson), could be our ticket to the Finals.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Looking at how the Cavs are playing against GS, it clearly emphasizes the need for a paint presence, for a couple of reasons:

- When GS's guards go through a rough stretch, the team can't score. Having a low post presence who can score consistently would really help them push through slumps offensively. Post ups aren't incredible productive compared to three point shots or the PnR, but they have a lot of secondary benefits and can be a reliable source for a needed bucket.

- LeBron and Kyrie drive and there is no rim protection. I'm not talking about the lack of an elite shot blocker, but rather there is nobody in the paint that can even just play big....the Cavs just shoot over the 6'7" Draymond.

Basically our roster should be built around low post scoring, PnR, shooting, and being able to attack closeouts.

JV is one guy and can't do it all, so I would say having another dominant low post presence at the PF (instead of a face up guy like Patterson), could be our ticket to the Finals.
                              Taj Gibson?

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                                Taj Gibson?
                                Yessss

Comment

Working...
                                X