Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Pretty positive comments on Poeltl.

I went back and reviewed the 2016 Draft NBA Express Strengths and Weaknesses videos and am much reassured. His biggest weaknesses relate to toughness, strength and leaping ability. I think these are all more or less easily corrected by Mr McKechnie.
    Poeltl's mechanics when he is standing behind an attacker with the ball seem to be all wrong, which might account for how easily he is moved towards the basket when an opponent is posting up. I think this gets corrected before the season starts.

As far as strength and leaping ability, I wouldn't be surprised if he adds 5 - 10 pounds of muscle before October 31. I added 2" to my vertical in a couple of months at the age of 63, so I am sure that is something that can be improved significantly in a 20 year old.

McKechnie has been like a secret weapon in the Raptors arsenal since he arrived. I am guessing he can work some more magic.
    On top of that, if Poeltl plays against PF's, that will hide some of that lack of strength/toughness compared to going up against centres.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Carlg wrote: View Post
      Didn't read through all the pages but have this question:

How does Poetl as a prospect compare to JV coming in? or JV at the same age? JV came in super raw if I remember and fairly weak as well. What is different about their draft profiles? If they are comparable prospects then drafting another JV at 9 instead of 5 works for me.
      JV was a stronger prospect in terms of traditional big who was physical in the low post and a great rebounder. Poeltl is not viewed as being as physical and not as great of a rebounder but his offensive game is much more developed then JV was ( actually the thought was that JV defence was good and his offence was weak but in actuality the reverse ended up being true).

I do believe Poeltl has the higher basketball IQ as a rookie then JV did and is probably more NBA ready then JV was due to playing in the NCAA.

The advantage however was with JV at the time cause he had the luxury of a roster spot with certain amount of minutes and more wiggle room to make mistakes on a bad team then Poeltl will have on a good team full of bigs with guaranteed minutes.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
        JV was a stronger prospect in terms of traditional big who was physical in the low post and a great rebounder. Poeltl is not viewed as being as physical and not as great of a rebounder but his offensive game is much more developed then JV was ( actually the thought was that JV defence was good and his offence was weak but in actuality the reverse ended up being true).

I do believe Poeltl has the higher basketball IQ as a rookie then JV did and is probably more NBA ready then JV was due to playing in the NCAA.

The advantage however was with JV at the time cause he had the luxury of a roster spot with certain amount of minutes and more wiggle room to make mistakes on a bad team then Poeltl will have on a good team full of bigs with guaranteed minutes.
        I think Poeltl is a head of him defensively and offensively at the same age. Poeltl is the better athlete. JV would have the edge as rebounder but, it's not by much. Poeltl is a good rebounder as well.
        Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon Jun 27, 2016, 02:07 PM.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          I think Poeltl is a head of him defensively and offensively at the same age. Poeltl is the better athlete. JV would have the edge as rebounder but, it's not by much. Poeltl is a good rebounder as well.
          Poeltl at the same age was not a better athlete then JV, Poeltl shy's away from dunking the ball due to his vertical leap not being great, also JV sprinted better down the floor from one end to another.

Comment

Poeltl at the same age was not a better athlete then JV, Poeltl shy's away from dunking the ball due to his vertical leap not being great, also JV sprinted better down the floor from one end to another.
            Disagree, JV has never been as fast as Poeltl end line to end line. Lateral quickness there on a different planet. Look at my avatar Poeltlt head is at the rim. I've never seen JV's head at the rim.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Disagree, JV has never been as fast as Poeltl end line to end line. Lateral quickness there on a different planet. Look at my avatar Poeltlt head is at the rim. I've never seen JV's head at the rim.
              I think one of the wheels on your chair fell off. You must be looking at your avatar crooked.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                I think one of the wheels on your chair fell off. You must be looking at your avatar crooked.
                I thought I was the only who thought this because his head is a fair bit away from being at the rim. At the mesh, maybe.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• I think everyone here needs a reminder of JV in his first year. Poeltl has a lot to prove before we can say anything about him having more offensive tools in year 1.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Not that he's a "stiff" - whatever people mean when they say that.

But anyway, I'm already bored of the JV comparisons.

Comment

Its not the speed that will matter cause when 7 footers running on the court, they will be running slower then majority of their team mates. What it comes down is endurance running throughout the game and I believe that JV was a bit lighter then Poeltl coming in

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                        Just Is wrote: View Post
                        I thought I was the only who thought this because his head is a fair bit away from being at the rim. At the mesh, maybe.
                        He's still on his way up in that pic. Here is the video. Best thing about this play, it was created by a great hedge from him and than a great steal. Also look from where he takes off from.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon Jun 27, 2016, 03:04 PM.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Its not the speed that will matter cause when 7 footers running on the court, they will be running slower then majority of their team mates. What it comes down is endurance running throughout the game and I believe that JV was a bit lighter then Poeltl coming in
                          I don't know having a Center that can consistently beat other Centers down court seem pretty valuable.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Let's hold off for a second here. JV is a 4-year NBA player who has consistently graded out extremely well on his advanced metrics, even compared to some of the best in the league.

Poeltl is a draft pick with potential who hasn't played a single NBA minute.

Can we at least let him play a few games before we dump JV to create space for Poeltl?
                            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

He's still on his way up in that pic. Here is the video. Best thing about this play, it was created by a great hedge from him and than a great steal. Also look from where he takes off from.

Oh so use my imagination.

Here's something better taken from a Youtube clip of the highlight (man I am getting nothing done at work today).

Ha your edit beat me to it.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                Let's hold off for a second here. JV is a 4-year NBA player who has consistently graded out extremely well on his advanced metrics, even compared to some of the best in the league.

Poeltl is a draft pick with potential who hasn't played a single NBA minute.

Can we at least let him play a few games before we dump JV to create space for Poeltl?
                                Relax were comparing them as rookies
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X