Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuh wrote: View Post
    The difference is that with basketball being almost the state religion in Lithuania, the quality of the coaching in the youth leagues is a couple of orders of magnitude better in Lithuania than it is in Austria. (And that's not mentioning if your father is Arvydas Sabonis.)

So while Jacob may have been in love with basketball since six, his access to high quality training wasn't anything like Sabonis's, so he probably looked a lot more raw.
    Thanks. I thought about the quality of coaching/training aspect, but didn't want to give myself an easy out for my mistake.

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
      Dion waiters, Alex Burke, Swaggy P?
      Pass pass and pass

Comment

• Yak in a Raptors Jersey.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

Another projection based on college numbers, has Poeltl listed ~1.5 standard deviations above the average player in this draft class.
          What I really find interesting is that graph pegs him as a pure PF, not a C.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            What I really find interesting is that graph pegs him as a pure PF, not a C.
            Yeah, I found that interesting too. Not sure what to make of that.
            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
              Cliché questions after cliché questions. Are you kidding me? classic Toronto media. so no one asked if he can play the 4?
              I couldn't tell I was distracted by Sherman's bald shiny head.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  Yeah, I found that interesting too. Not sure what to make of that.
                  I make of it that we have a little more evidence that this guy might well have been picked to play beside JV, not behind him, long term anyway.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• 9. Toronto Raptors: Jakob Poeltl

Bryan Toporek (@btoporek): The Raptors no longer have to concern themselves with Bismack Biyombo getting egregiously overpaid this summer. Poeltl will slide in as the backup center behind Jonas Valanciunas and should provide a much-needed scoring punch off the bench. He’s nowhere near the rebounder or shot-blocker that Biyombo is, but adding this type of talent to a playoff team is unfair.
                    http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2016/06/...medium=twitter
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• For a hopeful 4, I pray he gets his release a little higher and quicker.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Right but there are plenty of quick 4s. Those two are just obvious examples.

Anyway shit's pretty hilarious around here. Sounds like most fans seemed to have convinced themselves that this guy is a Towns level of C prospect. Apparently he's quick, strong, looks like he can shoot, can play inside, can rebound, is high IQ and high motor, plays above and below the rim, can pass the ball...I think we got the best C prospect of all time here guys.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                        Yeah I'm a little perplexed by the talk about Poeltl at the 4, it seems fairly obvious that Poeltl projects to be a centre, especially in today's NBA.

Here are some NBA writers' NBA comparisons:

Jonathan Wasserman: Andrew Bogut, Jonas Valanciunas, and Timofey Mozgov.
                        Jonathan Tjarks: Tyler Zeller
                        Fran Fraschilla citing NBA scouts: Omer Asik
                        NBAdraft.net: Andrew Bogut

Draft Express in their weaknesses video specifically cited his lack of versatility. Here are their quotes:
                        "Strictly a center. Not overly advanced on the block."
                        "Took four jumpers all year, limiting his face up game."

I think the real question about Poeltl next year is whether Casey gives him more than 10 minutes a game, choosing instead to go small ball when Jonas is off the court.

Comment

• If Poeltl can play PF I love this pick
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• The more I think about the huge advantage we had with our size in the Playoffs, I'm starting to come around to the idea that if we want to completely buck the trend of going small, then this could be interesting .. our size was our strength in the playoffs.

Comment

• Notes:

- Offensively, a little predictable. Has some smooth post moves.
                              - Flashes of off the bounce game.
                              - A really comfortable passer. Offense ran through him.
                              - Rebounding is a work in progress. Willing to battle. Is he soft though?
                              - Defense. Slides his feet. Able to hold off iso against a guard. Brown couldn't explode past him. Able to hold his ground on a switch.
                              - Rim protection is a question.
                              Last edited by MixxAOR; Sat Jun 25, 2016, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• Notes:
                                - ISO system might not be good for Jacob.
                                - There was no consensus.

Comment

Working...
                                X