Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    They brought up some interesting topics like Poeltl maybe being a replacement for JV and not Biz. Free agency should be interesting.
    Yes....we can't discount the possibility that JP could be flipped in a trade. Wonder if the Jazz might be interested....they tend to like their good Utah bred players...am not sure about their roster but Hayward would be a good return in some kind of deal.

Comment

• He reminds me of Porzingis in some ways, 7'1, quick, mobile and looks like he has a decent, developing jump shot. Imagine a 7'1 at PF.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        Imagine a 7'1 at PF.
        That's what ESPN imagines for Bender. I guess it's possible there seeing how he has the physique of a kid after 30 day hunger strike. For the guy with the man body though? No, he must only play center and let's not consider anything else.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
          You aren't.

I don't like the pick (by virtue of believing there were better options available at that spot in the same tier; specifically Sabonis who did destroy him in one on one) but I actually like the player. It's a weird dichotomy for me as, if you read most of my comments on this specific pick, I definitely come across as hating it more than I do.
          Several scouting reports mentioned that Poeltl came late to the game, coming form a family of volleyball players. Sabonis grew up with Arvydas as his father. Probably played basketball from the age of 5 or 6. This could be a similar to the video comparison to Simmons. Sabonis is likely to have been a very mature and experienced player to Poeltl, comparatively speaking. Destroying him in a college game may not be a good predictor of future results.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Ok, after watching all these videos and reading more about him, I've come around on Poeltl.

I honestly think this was a Drummond-Ross scenario, except we didn't do the stupid thing and pass on the better player to go for a need (although I think Poeltl plays PF for us until he fills out, just like KAT and KP played PF last year). I was upset at draft time because I thought Davis or Luwawu would have been better picks, but I trust the collective knowledge of all the NBA front offices, and nobody wanted those guys until much later in the draft.

So it really came down to Poeltl or Sabonis, and Poeltl is 3 inches taller, 6 inch longer reach, and much more mobile and way better defensively. I'm also thinking back to the video where Poeltl was compared to Simmons, and the analyst mentioned that players who grew up with an NBA dad are typically finished products by the time they get to the NBA and don't progress much. Sabonis has an NBA dad, he's been playing ball his entire life. Poeltl had swimmers for parents and is from Austria, he started playing basketball much later, so I'd say he has a lot more room for improvement than Sabonis does. Plus DEFENSE, Sabonis will never be a good defender, and Poeltl already is.
            +1

He's got a good post up game. Good footwork. Quick, mobile.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              They brought up some interesting topics like Poeltl maybe being a replacement for JV and not Biz. Free agency should be interesting.
              This was actually my first reaction. Casey needs a low-cost hedge at C in case he can't find a way to integrate JV into the offense/defense, which Masai said was a focus area going into next season. Casey also doesn't want any development projects. JV is most definitely trade bait now.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                This was actually my first reaction. Casey needs a low-cost hedge at C in case he can't find a way to integrate JV into the offense/defense, which Masai said was a focus area going into next season. Casey also doesn't want any development projects. JV is most definitely trade bait now.
                Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Comment

Yes, trade a guy who played extremely well during the Playoffs because that makes sense...

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                    Yes, trade a guy who played extremely well during the Playoffs because that makes sense...
                    Who looked easily top 5 for his position while he'll be making money comparable to fringe starters and good backups at his position in the new cap...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Several scouting reports mentioned that Poeltl came late to the game, coming form a family of volleyball players. Sabonis grew up with Arvydas as his father. Probably played basketball from the age of 5 or 6. This could be a similar to the video comparison to Simmons. Sabonis is likely to have been a very mature and experienced player to Poeltl, comparatively speaking. Destroying him in a college game may not be a good predictor of future results.
                      He was asked about this and mentioned that players have bad games.

Comment

Completely disagree. I think JV is one of the last players you consider trading. He's the key to future success for the team, and frankly drives a lot of the current success the team has.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Poeltl interview sound bites from May. Keep this in contexts now though, it's a Lakers reporter asking questions in regards to the Lakers:
                          “I can be a lot like Pau Gasol,”
                          “He’s a guy who has good touch around the basket and is a very good passer. He can dribble the ball. He’s even stepping out and shooting 3’s. I hope I can get there too. He’s a winner and won championships. I can do that, too.”
                          “The league is getting smaller, so you have to be more versatile as a big,”
                          “You have to do more different stuff like step out a little bit, handle the ball and pass the ball. I feel like that’s something I’m pretty good at, so I’ll fit in pretty well.”
                          “Having a team that is rebuilding where I could be on the court and develop with my teammates would be a great,” Poeltl said. “Being on a young team and having a chance to develop would be great.”
                          http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2016...like-pau-gasol

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                            He was asked about this and mentioned that players have bad games.
                            That game helped Sabonis catapult up but it didn't really hurt Poeltl's value. He landed right where projections said he would.

Comment

None of this makes any sense.

JV had a terrific year other than the injuries and was great in the playoffs. Regardless of whether you guys like how he is utilized or not he is extremely effective even at 20%USG. You don't trade a cheap, young big because Casey can't integrate him into the offense/defense, which, also makes no sense, cause, again, he was a huge part of a 56 win team, so he clearly is integrated just fine if not to the extent some people would like. I don't follow that reasoning at all. I mean, so, if they can't get him the ball four more times a game they make a huge trade and reconstruct the roster to replace him with Poeltl who will be seamlessly integrated? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Casey doesn't want developmental projects? Guh? They have Bebe, Caboclo, Powell, Wright, Poeltl, Siamka all on the roster. All of those are projects to one degree or another. They pretty clearly have 3-4 spots on the roster available for young players. Again, don't see this at all....

I'm not saying JV cannot or will not be traded but this rationale won't be the reason for it either way.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Completely disagree. I think JV is one of the last players you consider trading. He's the key to future success for the team, and frankly drives a lot of the current success the team has.
                                Easy there, Dan. I didn't say I wanted to trade JV. I would dearly love to see a balanced inside-outside approach, integrating JV more into the offense.

But I'm not Dwane Casey or Lowry or Derozan, and they call the shots. I'm just highly speculating what I think the repercussions of drafting a guy like JP has on future roster moves, based on what we've seen from this coaching staff and team style of play. IMO, I don't think Casey would shed a tear at moving JV and Masai would view that as a valuable trade chip. Just to re-iterate - that's the opposite of what I would like to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X