Everything Jakob Poeltl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmie wrote: View Post
    So here's something to consider: How much are you going to pay Pat next year when he expires? Keep in mind you're also paying Kyle... Just something to think about.
    I'm more comfortable with paying Pat than Kyle, being honest. I'm really nervous about Kyle's next contract.

He's my favorite Raptor ever, and was a superstar for us this year, but...

He'll be 31, with durability issues and an injury history, and he'll be really expensive.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      I'm more comfortable with paying Pat than Kyle, being honest. I'm really nervous about Kyle's next contract.

He's my favorite Raptor ever, and was a superstar for us this year, but...

He'll be 31, with durability issues and an injury history, and he'll be really expensive.
      This is true. Which begs the question: How much window does DD/KL REALLY have in Toronto. I'm taking everything I've heard from Masai and DD about his free agency at face value, so I really do think he's going to be back. The term is what concerns me. I would really, really like to see no more than 3 years, PO in the 3rd. And I would pay him the full max if that convinces him to take it instead of a longer term deal elsewhere. My sales job is that it frees him up 3 years from now under a much larger cap and still in his prime at 29.

So he's got max 2 years left on his deal next summer, regardless of what they do with Kyle. If they decide to pull the chute on KL/DD (say they flame out in the first round again or something; I don't expect this, BTW), DD will most likely exercise his PO the following summer and you're out from under his salary. If they decide it's worth sticking with KL/DD (another ECF, eg), then you try to convince Kyle to take a similar deal to what you gave Demar (tho not for the max). He's much less likely to take such a deal, of course, at 31 and with his best days behind him, but he also might not get as much on the FA market for the same reason.

All the while, you've been shrewdly developing very solid young draftees and young FAs, and seem well-positioned if it's time to move on from DD/KL entirely.

Anyway, looking a few seasons ahead, this stuff HAS to be in the back of Masai's mind...
      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
        I mean, don't they say that every year?
        Not really. Everyone was saying this year was a weak draft.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Oh, cool. You've talked with Masai about that then?

How about we not trade the guy who had a top 5 PER and top 10 WS/48 in the playoffs, and is only 24. Also, the guy who Masai said will be a huge part of this team in 3 years time probably isn't going anywhere.
          The man said himself that one of our needs is a starting 5.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            The man said himself that one of our needs is a starting 5.
            What? Find me that quote.

I don't believe Masai said we need a starting center.

Comment

What? Find me that quote.

I don't believe Masai said we need a starting center.
              I meant starting 4. Did you not watch the end of season press conference?
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I meant starting 4. Did you not watch the end of season press conference?
                Yeah, I did. And he said starting 4. You said starting 5, which was what I didn't believe.

Comment

Yeah, I did. And he said starting 4. You said starting 5, which was what I didn't believe.
                  Ok, now why would he say that if he believed 2pat could do that?
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Ok, now why would he say that if he believed 2pat could do that?
                    Because he was looking for a better option, if he could get one?

It makes sense to look for improvement, it doesn't make sense to overpay to force the improvement. Don't create a new weakness to cover up the old one. That's how Colangelo ran the team.

Comment

Because he was looking for a better option, if he could get one?

It makes sense to look for improvement, it doesn't make sense to overpay to force the improvement. Don't create a new weakness to cover up the old one. That's how Colangelo ran the team.
                      Who would we be overpaying?
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Who would we be overpaying?
                        If we were sending out JV, Pat and Ross just to get Millsap as a rental and Biyombo, that's a MASSIVE overpay, and even if we keep Millsap, it makes the team a lot older.

Comment

• Poeltl will start at the 4 and play in the low 20's just like DD did when he was a rookie.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                            Poeltl will start at the 4 and play in the low 20's just like DD did when he was a rookie.
                            ... Just like DD and Kawhi Leonard.

Comment

If we were sending out JV, Pat and Ross just to get Millsap as a rental and Biyombo, that's a MASSIVE overpay, and even if we keep Millsap, it makes the team a lot older.
                              You don't even know how much he's going to get paid. For all you know Biz might get 14-15 mil. Which is fair for the numbers he put up as a starter. Its all speculation. Just like you thought that OKC wouldnt trade Ibaka.

Anyways let's agree to disagree. Were not getting anywhere.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

You don't even know how much he's going to get paid. For all you know Biz might get 14-15 mil. Which is fair for the numbers he put up as a starter. Its all speculation. Just like you thought that OKC wouldnt trade Ibaka.

Anyways let's agree to disagree. Were not getting anywhere.
                                Yeah, 14-15m is the number I had in my head which makes sense against jvs contract and adjusted against the cap and their production levels. It's likely someone else offers him 18-20 which is too much to match. Really sucks to lose him. In some ways I'd be more disappointed than if we lost derozan. Doesn't make logistical sense I just like biz more.

Comment

Working...
                                X