Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Questions Than Answers

*to be merged with the offseason thread after a few days

These are the things that are currently ruminating in my head post draft.

1.) Is Wright a better pure PG than Cory Joseph. There were rumours we were shopping him during the draft. Are we looking at keeping him long term and using Cojo to land some other piece?

2.) We chose 5 than can play some 4 and a 4 that can play some 5. Does this mean that Noguiera is not developing like they wanted. Is this insurance against injury. Using a lottery pick STRICTLY as insurance does not make a whole lot of sense.

3.) In the event we trade Ross and Cojo can Wright and Powell take on that full time backup spot. We rode our bench to the ECF last season, seems risky to tinker.

4.) Mainly, I am trying to see a coherent vision. at this stage. Are we gonna go the route of running counter culture to the league, playing big, in the paint and punishing over reaction with the 3 ball?

5.) Is Ross better than I think he is?
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

1) I think so. Wright didn't really get time to showcase his skills during the season, and as we saw with Powell there's an adjustment period required. Powell's first few games weren't great, but then he made the adjustment.

2) I'm not sure what it means for Bebe, being honest. I think this does show the team doesn't have a lot of confidence in him.

3) I'm not prepared to say Powell can take Ross' spot. Just isn't the same shooter. I think they're complimentary players more than comparative players.

4) Yes? I'm not sure. I think it's about asset accumulation, and this is something we just aren't used to as Raptors fans. Remember, the Warriors started as just a team drafting guys who didn't completely fit. Steph Curry didn't make complete sense when they drafted him. You get talent, and go from there.

5) Yes. We went 3-6 when Ross didn't play, 22-9 when he took 10+ shots, 6-2 when he started this year. He mattered to this team.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

1. He's shown flashes, but Cojo has proven he's more than capable. I still want to see more of Wright though.

2. Bebe has not shown much improvement yet, he still looks lost out there. I hope that Poeltl was picked because they think he can play some PF.

3. I don't think we will trade both Ross and Cojo

4. Thunder played very well with big lineups, they can work.

5. Hopefully? Ross is impossible to figure out.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

1)wright is more talented than cory, in my opinion. trying to trade cory seems like trying to create cap space to me.

2)i said several times, i think bebe is incumbent and poeltl is going to be starting in the d. i think the d is going to be a "coming of age" type thing for raptors rookies.

3)yes.

4)i think they are trying to maximize the now and the future. lowry has a small window, maybe even just the upcoming year so preparing for the future is smart.

5)i don't know how good you think he is. i think he is fantastic but can't seem to put it together. with luck a late bloomer. if we trade him i hope he never improves his consistency. he has all of the required tools.

Comment

In the event we did trade Ross we would need another backup wing that can launch the 3 ball, maybe we can get that for less than the 10m Ross makes maybe we can't
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

For any chance of a coherent and somewhat accurate vision you will have to wait at last a week (start of FA) to 3 months (start of training camp - roughly I'm guessing)....and even then Powell didn't do shit until April. So....patience?
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

1) Wright looked OK during his short runs of play last year and even though he's old for a prospect PGs take a while to develop so he still has lots of time to develop and should be kept long term, but right now the gap between him and CoJo is huge.

2) No it doesn't make sense. We better hope that Poeltl showed them that he can handle playing the 4 full time. And Bebe looked like shit when he got a chance to play in the playoffs, if that's what he is then he's not ready.

3) Yes to Powell for sure. Wright can, but it won't be great, a big drop off from what CoJo provides. And we'd have to pray Kyle doesn't go down.

4) ....

5) Nope. He's exactly who you think he is, a gifted but streaky shooter with very low BBall IQ, poor discipline and work ethic.
              Last edited by Letter N; Fri Jun 24, 2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I feel like he is going to get traded to Indiana somehow and THRIVE next to Paul George...fucker

Comment

Here's where I sit on Ross:

JR Smith's mental problems at 25 were way, way worse than Ross' problems are right now. He was a significant contributor to a championship team. Ross showed signs of figuring it out a bit this year. If he takes that next step, better it be here than elsewhere.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    1.) Is Wright a better pure PG than Cory Joseph. There were rumours we were shopping him during the draft. Are we looking at keeping him long term and using Cojo to land some other piece?
                    1. Wright showed enough for me to be comfortable with him being #2 at the point. If there's a good deal out there that requires Cojo then so be it. I don't care what each player's citizenship is.

2.) We chose 5 than can play some 4 and a 4 that can play some 5. Does this mean that Noguiera is not developing like they wanted. Is this insurance against injury. Using a lottery pick STRICTLY as insurance does not make a whole lot of sense.
                    2. Bebe didn't look good last year. I don't think its gonna happen for him here. This is the pros and the only thing guaranteed is the money stated in the contract. We shouldn't feel sorry for him. Plus seven footers usually get multiple chances.

3.) In the event we trade Ross and Cojo can Wright and Powell take on that full time backup spot. We rode our bench to the ECF last season, seems risky to tinker.
                    3. Yes, while Powell got exposed a little in the playoffs I believe he will overcome it. I don't think Ross is a better player right now even.

4.) Mainly, I am trying to see a coherent vision. at this stage. Are we gonna go the route of running counter culture to the league, playing big, in the paint and punishing over reaction with the 3 ball?
                    4. Small ball is hip right now but the league changes regularly. It will be fashionable until someone else comes along who can win using another method. Then all the trendies will jump ship for that idea. I'd love for the Raptors to lead rather than follow. The competitive edge isn't in scrambling to play copycat.

5. No.

Comment

Wright is certainly a MORE pure PG than Cory Joseph. But better? Impossible to say that now. Cory is a tremendous defender and I would only move him if it was in a package with Ross to bring back a star (not an upgrade, a star) at PF.

I think Noguiera is trade bait now as the obvious prospect to throw in to a big trade. But keeping him isn't the end of the world, especially if they want to try Poeltl at the 4 a lot. Also provides depth in the case of injury/Poeltl doing poorly.

Powell I am certain can provide approximately what Ross did, with some shooting given back and better defence. Wright I like a lot but is definitely more of an unknown. I think he could step in and be serviceable, but would almost certainly be a downgrade from CoJo. So whoever you trade for with Ross/CoJo better be a huge upgrade.

Looks like we are just collecting good players who are all two way players who can shoot at least a little. That's a pretty good strategy by itself, as those guys tend to be able to fit with anybody and in most systems, so you can pick and choose your style however you like.

Depends. How good do you think he is? He's not very good. He's not bad.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

As of now, Wright is a depth piece. I don't think it's an 'either or' thing and it seems pretty clear the organization wants to keep spots 12-15 on this roster for guys like Wright as insurance, depth, projects, etc. I wouldn't assume anyone is moving.

Again, 15-man roster. If Bebe moves up into the rotation along with Powell, for example, two of those 12-15 spots free up for Poeltl and the other dude. If Poeltl or the other guy push Bebe then it's great but don't assume that the Raps are looking for Poeltl to "replace" anyone.

Again, you need depth. Ultimately, in the conference finals and final your top 7 has to be very, very good but you need 10-11 guys who can play if you want to get there. I don't see a team like Toronto relying on two second year players to play prominent rotation roles.

I think Poeltl was simply BPA, so they took him and will figure it out later. Ultimately, contracts in the league now are so short (2-4 years for the most part) that the roster turns over so much you can't really envision how every piece will fit in 2-3 years. The short term vision seems pretty clear: Raps are going to play defense, rebound and lean on DD, Lowry and JV to win games on the other end.

Comment

wow there's a lot of people ready to jump on the delon wright as #2 pg bandwagon after VERY LITTLE evidence he's ready.

Cory Joseph plays major minutes for us off the bench and is already a great defender who makes shots. He needs to work on distribution, but we as a team have a huge problem with that in general, he's capable of running a system but we just didn't have a great one. Wright so far only shows potential to be good at either end. They are the same age.

You don't trade Joseph unless there's an actual star player at the 4 to be had in return. it'd have to be more than just a "decent upgrade".

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post

You don't trade Joseph unless there's an actual star player at the 4 to be had in return. it'd have to be more than just a "decent upgrade".
                            I think it's pretty clear they are not trying to upgrade at the PF spot at all costs. I still believe that failing to find a PF just means they'll look at the wings and add a guy there. People are too singularly focused on the PF issue.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              I think it's pretty clear they are not trying to upgrade at the PF spot at all costs. I still believe that failing to find a PF just means they'll look at the wings and add a guy there. People are too singularly focused on the PF issue.
                              Not a huge amount of room for improvement on the wings with Carroll, DD, Powell, Ross (who would presumably be traded) and Joseph playing significant minutes there.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                              X