Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bargnani is the 5th Most Skilled 7 Footer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bargnani is the 5th Most Skilled 7 Footer?

5. Andrea Bargnani Hes not the Dirk Junior everybody wanted him to be when he got drafted No. 1 overall, but Bargnani is a dangerous three-point sniper and great passer who can play three positions. If Chris Bosh leaves Toronto this summer, Bargs gets his crack at being the Alpha.
    DimeMag.com

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Defense and rebounding are skills. And I can play five positions, I just wouldn't be able to defend them worth crap.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dangerous 3 point sniper? 37 percent is only a danger to the rim and backboard.

Great passer? I'm not sure if Bargs could pass a physical.
    I'm a huge fan of the guy, but his scouting report should read something like:

A guy capable of eliciting love and hate in the same 30 second span, Andrea's short career has been as tumultuous as it gets. Paired with a great PF in Bosh, they at times act as the most dangerous front line in the NBA, at other times the presence of two black holes threatens to swallow the entire team. A rare player whose ceiling is just as high as his cellar is low. Four years in and the jury is still out, fans haven't been this divided on a person's future since the OJ trial. No one questions whether Andrea has the tools, they simply wonder if he can remember the combination to his tool box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post

A guy capable of eliciting love and hate in the same 30 second span, Andrea's short career has been as tumultuous as it gets. Paired with a great PF in Bosh, they at times act as the most dangerous front line in the NBA, at other times the presence of two black holes threatens to swallow the entire team. A rare player whose ceiling is just as high as his cellar is low. Four years in and the jury is still out, fans haven't been this divided on a person's future since the OJ trial. No one questions whether Andrea has the tools, they simply wonder if he can remember the combination to his tool box.
    Perfect. I especially like this...

"Four years in and the jury is still out, fans haven't been this divided on a person's future since the OJ trial."

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

37% is solid as 3 pt. shooter. Not great, but adequate. it's equivalent to shooting 54.5% on 2 pt. shots, which is solid.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

isn't league average 36%-ish? so, he's slightly above-average (against the league). but he's probably one of best among 7-footers. yaaaay...
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't know about the rest of you. but, i just don't see what you downers see about him. i think he's solid and i think you are just frustrated from this season being a failure and you are just being negative nancies.

especially you mr. mo-sales could you be any more of a negative nancy?

you say you love the guy but you're ripping him apart...?

that is like saying you're eating a veggie sandwich and it has ham in it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the point in having your centre shoot average from 3 point land. The only reason he should be shooting 3's is because he is good at them ie Channing Frye. He should shoot less of them with better accuracy and live inside the 3 point line.

Every negative thing I said about him was prefaced with a positive, but the reality is if his future mirrors his past he should be considered a failure. It is time to stop the incremental increases in potential actualized and make the leap instead of the teasing baby step routine the raps have gotten for the last four years.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the point in having your centre shoot average from 3 point land. The only reason he should be shooting 3's is because he is good at them ie Channing Frye. He should shoot less of them with better accuracy and live inside the 3 point line.

Every negative thing I said about him was prefaced with a positive, but the reality is if his future mirrors his past he should be considered a failure. It is time to stop the incremental increases in potential actualized and make the leap instead of the teasing baby step routine the raps have gotten for the last four years.
    besides putting up good numbers what has bosh done in the 7 years he's been here?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

i never thought Bargs was a sniper
    he needs to cut on the Bricks.... some games i though the guy was trying to bulid a house

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For a Raptor's fan Bargs will tease you with big performances and just when you think he is the Next Dirk, Zan Tabak rears his ugly head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    i don't know about the rest of you. but, i just don't see what you downers see about him. i think he's solid and i think you are just frustrated from this season being a failure and you are just being negative nancies.

especially you mr. mo-sales could you be any more of a negative nancy?

you say you love the guy but you're ripping him apart...?

that is like saying you're eating a veggie sandwich and it has ham in it.
    I've been griping about Bargnani since the day he was drafted. Even when the Raptors were winning. You don't see what we `downers' see about him?

For starters, he's below average defensively and on the boards. And he's seven feet. I don't care who it is, if your big man is going to be below average defensively AND on the boards, he's going to hurt your team. Period. People griped about Dirk's defense, but he's a half decent rebounder and much better scorer than Bargnani.

The fact that you think he's solid says far more about you than him. Tell me one thing he is above average at. One.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    isn't league average 36%-ish? so, he's slightly above-average (against the league). but he's probably one of best among 7-footers. yaaaay...
    Sounds about right. Ain't nothing wrong with 37% from long range. Not spectacular but at center it beats everyone who attempted over 100 besides Frye and Okur.

Post Thanks / Like

Great passer? The guy's averaged 0.8, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.2 assists in his four years. No improvement whatsoever, and he was sold as a guy who had vision.

The guy can't even create his own shot, something like 73% of his shots come via assists. He's not dangerous at all, more like occasionally passable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Sounds about right. Ain't nothing wrong with 37% from long range. Not spectacular but at center it beats everyone who attempted over 100 besides Frye and Okur.
    There is something wrong with shooting 37% when he hoists by far the most threes on the team with 325, next closest is Turk with 289 and then Jack with 199. He's 5th on the team in 3pt percentage and Jack is 1st at 41%. Three-point shooting is HUGE (biggest?) part of his game and he's mediocre at it, that is not cool.

Saying 37% is great for a C wouldn't be incorrect if the C in question was a traditional C who rebounded, played defense and did, you know, shit other centers do. But since he doesn't do that, he better make it up by at least shooting 45% from three, otherwise it's not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Aresenalist, shot volumes come back on Jay.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Andrea just needs to be better physically... he needs to box our wayyy more consistently and has to become better at pushing bigger centers out of the paint area... I've seen Andrea get abused inside againt guys like bogut and kaman and perkins... he lets those guys (and really everybody) get inside position on him wayyy to easily (and quickly)... I don't have a problem with his percentage actually but I would love it more if he was atleast a 40% 3pt shooter... he MUST get stronger around the rim and develop A FUCKING POST UP GAME... pisses me off when he doesn't get into the paint and abuse smaller players

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    There is something wrong with shooting 37% when he hoists by far the most threes on the team with 325, next closest is Turk with 289 and then Jack with 199. He's 5th on the team in 3pt percentage and Jack is 1st at 41%. Three-point shooting is HUGE (biggest?) part of his game and he's mediocre at it, that is not cool.
    The Raptors have a lot of problems. Bargnani's 3-point shooting is not among them. Trying to make it into a big deal is just not convincing. He hits at good rate. He takes a lot because his height lets him get them off easy, and because his role is to stretch the floor for Bosh (or Amir). That's all this is. On occasion he forces up threes, but the vast majority of the time they are legit open looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote malefax wrote: View Post
    The Raptors have a lot of problems. Bargnani's 3-point shooting is not among them. Trying to make it into a big deal is just not convincing. He hits at good rate. He takes a lot because his height lets him get them off easy, and because his role is to stretch the floor for Bosh (or Amir). That's all this is. On occasion he forces up threes, but the vast majority of the time they are legit open looks.
    The point is not that Bargnani isn't a good 3 point shooter. He's fine from beyond the arc. The point is that it is supposed to be the biggest part of his game, and it IS the best part of his game, and he's simply adequate at it. No more.

And if the vast majority of his threes are open looks (which I agree with) why doesn't he shoot a better percentage from there? There are 60 guys in the league that shot a better percentage from there than Bargnani. SIXTY! And that's the best part of his game?

He's a below average rebounder, defender, inside scorer and shot creator. And his biggest strength is simply adequate. Why exactly do some people think he's so skilled?

Post Thanks / Like

Question: If the biggest part of Andrea Bargnani's game is the 3pt shot then why is it that only 29% of his shots came from beyond the arc?

FYI, he shot 47% from the field last season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information