Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would You Like to See Tony Parker in Toronto?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would You Like to See Tony Parker in Toronto?

In a great article by Buck Harvey of the San Antonio Express-News, he discusses the Tony Parker of today. You know, the one that comes off the bench behind George Hill. The sixth-man role is one that Parker has never played and one that he doesn’t especially like, but it’s where he fits in at the moment.

So here’s the decision the Spurs will face this summer: Moving Parker might make sense, because Hill is cheaper and younger. But can the Spurs find equal value? The Spurs could use a shotblocker, or a more versatile big man, but would he mean more than what Parker has been and is?
    Overall, it will be interesting to see what direction San Antonio goes this summer. Parker’s set to make $13.5 million next year in the last year of his deal, which means his expiring contract is one that many playoff teams would be willing to take on. On the other hand, if they’re comfortable with Hill running the show, he’ll make under $1.2 million next season.
    DimeMag.com

Before we dig into this I just want to point out that not too long ago, like the summer or early season, there were rumors about the Spurs being interested in Calderon and during his contract year, if do recall, there was a rumor then as well. Calderon outbound would fix the log jam at the point that would otherwise be created. So with that said, would you like to see Parker head this way? I am sure the Spurs would be interested in Bosh and reforming a new version of the twin towers. The Spurs are in Texas, bonus for Bosh. The Spurs would be a strong contender with CB4 in town. The Spurs have the assets to offer the Raptors an excellent package. Thoughts?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little confused, how does swapping Calderon for Parker fix the log jam at the point?

I wouldn't mind Parker, but I would have preferred him 2 years ago. As it stands, trading for him now means we're trading for a 1 year rental. He may choose not to resign.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He is too expensive for what he brings to the table and the Raptors may have to shell out too many players to complete this deal.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing his wife (who probably will hate Toronto).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    I'm a little confused, how does swapping Calderon for Parker fix the log jam at the point?

I wouldn't mind Parker, but I would have preferred him 2 years ago. As it stands, trading for him now means we're trading for a 1 year rental. He may choose not to resign.
    How does it fix the log jam at the point? By not creating one.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    How does it fix the log jam at the point? By not creating one.
    haha good one

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Apollo, can you arrange to bring Popovich over and give him the reins in TO? Now that would be adding value and we wouldnt have to give up anything except letting BC go. They are coming to a bit of an era end in SA and just maybe Pops is looking to get out of the daily coaching grind. Maybe he could even give JT a crash course in elite level NBA coaching and dry humour. It may even give Bosh pause.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take TP here in a second. Package him up with Blair and Splitter and I'd be pretty happy.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What About Tony Parker as a Raptor?

It sounds as though via Marc Stein from ESPN that the Spurs might be looking in a new direction and Parker might be available for the taking.

If your Colangelo, to you put in a call to the Spurs?

Marc Stein of ESPN.com writes that, according to sources, San Antonio is "increasingly optimistic about their ability to inject their front line with some new blood by convincing Brazilian forward Tiago Splitter ... to leave the European game to come to the NBA starting next season."

The Spurs drafted Splitter back in 2007.

Stein also wrote that Tony Parker, as strange as it sounds, is the team's best trade asset.

The point guard has one season at $13.5 million left on his contract and has reportedly been telling people that he is unsure about his future in San Antonio.
    Source - Click here

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oops ... my bad. Thanks for the merge Apollo.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Would Spurs be interested in Parker for Bargs?

Parker is the better player, but they need depth up front and Bargs/Blair would be a nice inside outside and maybe Duncan could teach Bargs how to play d.

Then ship Jose to anyone for hopefully a draft pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Oops ... my bad. Thanks for the merge Apollo.
    No problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see TP here. He's quick, can break down defenses, get to the hoop, and create for others. Question is - what would be the price?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bosh returns? Sure. If Bosh doesn't re-sign, then there would be no point to trading for Parker his it's not going to either help rebuild the Raptors, or help make them a contender.

Now if they want to do that ridiculous sign and trade someone proposed that includes Parker, Jefferson and Blair, then I'd be all for it.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's only ridiculous if no one else wants Bosh. If we're getting offers and the spurs want him, what's the big deal about trading your bench point guard, a small forward who has been unimpressive since you picked him up, and a pick for a guy who could become your franchise (Bosh) with Duncan and either a guy to replace Parker (Calderon) or a guy to replace Jefferson (Hedo). If I'm San Antonio it doesn't seem that bad a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    It's only ridiculous if no one else wants Bosh. If we're getting offers and the spurs want him, what's the big deal about trading your bench point guard, a small forward who has been unimpressive since you picked him up, and a pick for a guy who could become your franchise (Bosh) with Duncan and either a guy to replace Parker (Calderon) or a guy to replace Jefferson (Hedo). If I'm San Antonio it doesn't seem that bad a deal.
    The Raptors probably wish you were the Spurs GM. As a fan of both teams, I'm glad you're not.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hedo and Jack for Parker would work for me if they can sign Parker to an extension.

Then trade Calderon and Belinelli for Prince

Resign Bosh and Johnson

Sign S. Blake for the MLE

Start

Bosh
    Bargnani
    Prince
    DeRozan/Weems
    Parker

Bench

Johnson
    Weems/DeRozan
    Blake
    1st Round Pick

Evans?
    Banks?

Plus 3 guys 2 at the vet minimum and 1 undrafted rookie?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Buddahfan, I'm sure those trades would work for you. Somehow, I can't see them working for, you know, the other teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Then trade Calderon and Belinelli for Prince
    Prince is one of the few good things going for the Pistons right now. That trade makes them a lot worse. I don't think they would do it. There are better deals out there for Prince.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    If Bosh returns? Sure. If Bosh doesn't re-sign, then there would be no point to trading for Parker his it's not going to either help rebuild the Raptors, or help make them a contender.

Now if they want to do that ridiculous sign and trade someone proposed that includes Parker, Jefferson and Blair, then I'd be all for it.
    Easy now. I'm pretty sure that the Spurs S&T scenario is far less ridiculous than most other ideas being proposed.

Think about it this way - getting Bosh might get you another couple of years of high-quality use of Tim Duncan. They want to get younger and more athletic, Bosh provides this even though he's a weak shotblocker. But maybe that's something that Pop can teach.

Bosh/Calderon for a young prospect and a couple of expiring contracts that can still be productive and provide leadership sounds about right. Especially if you can re-sign TP for 3 years afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    Easy now. I'm pretty sure that the Spurs S&T scenario is far less ridiculous than most other ideas being proposed.

Think about it this way - getting Bosh might get you another couple of years of high-quality use of Tim Duncan. They want to get younger and more athletic, Bosh provides this even though he's a weak shotblocker. But maybe that's something that Pop can teach.

Bosh/Calderon for a young prospect and a couple of expiring contracts that can still be productive and provide leadership sounds about right. Especially if you can re-sign TP for 3 years afterwards.
    Most of the sign and trades proposed for Bosh around here are ridiculous. Including that one. Any trade which actually makes the team trading away the signed player immediately better than before, has no basis in reality. Look at it this way, if Bosh re-signs and the team does nothing else to improve itself, 45 games and a first round exit is pretty much their ceiling. With Parker, Jefferson and Blair, I can see that team winning, at least, 50 games in the East, and possibly getting to the second round.

And I'd never classify Parker and Jefferson as simply expiring contracts. Parker is a perennial All-Star in the East, and he and Jefferson would become the two best players on the Raptors.

If Toronto benefits MORE than the team getting Bosh, then the trade is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information