Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

To all you Windows users, have you already made the upgrade? What do you think of the new OS? To those of you who haven't, will you upgrade by the end of the week to take advantage of the free upgrade?

Personally, I haven't yet. I'm running Windows 8.1 and I'm on the fence about Windows 10. I see that you can sort of game the system if you want the free upgrade but you don't want to run it before the free upgrade period expires: http://rmprepusb.blogspot.ca/2016/06...8-systems.html

I don't know if I'll try this out or not. I've been hearing there are still some issues with 10 and so this is why I sound like I'm on the fence.

Apollo wrote: View Post
    To all you Windows users, have you already made the upgrade? What do you think of the new OS? To those of you who haven't, will you upgrade by the end of the week to take advantage of the free upgrade?

Personally, I haven't yet. I'm running Windows 8.1 and I'm on the fence about Windows 10. I see that you can sort of game the system if you want the free upgrade but you don't want to run it before the free upgrade period expires: http://rmprepusb.blogspot.ca/2016/06...8-systems.html

I don't know if I'll try this out or not. I've been hearing there are still some issues with 10 and so this is why I sound like I'm on the fence.
    i don't mind it. best part is whatever you are upgrading from is what you get. so if your windows 8 is deluxe your windows 10 is deluxe. i went and bought a windows 7 ultimate for almost nothing and did the upgrade from there.

Comment

I originally upgraded both of my laptops (using Windows 7) about a year ago....with mixed results. The one I used most (Asus) while upgrading fine hiccupped after a week. It just froze and wouldn't reboot and reverting was not an option. I just had to wipe it clean and reinstall Win 7 (did not want to take a chance with my main unit again). The other one (HP) seems to be chugging along fine with Win 10... though I hardly use it. Long story short I cannot attest to the superiority of win 10 over win 7. Win 7 has been a very stable system thru the yrs.
      If you upgrade please ensure you do all the necessary backups (externally) before you do.

Comment

I still can't believe that people used Windows 8. What a horrible os.

Windows 10 is lovely though. Just make sure you stop and block various tracking settings.. Or install a spybot anti-beacon.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
          I still can't believe that people used Windows 8. What a horrible os.

Windows 10 is lovely though. Just make sure you stop and block various tracking settings.. Or install a spybot anti-beacon.
          No experience with Windows 8 but I can tell you 8.1 is pretty good in terms of performance and reliability. Its one of the better Microsoft OS I've used and I started with 3.1 as a little kid, on to 95, then 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7 and now 8.1... So yeah.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            i don't mind it. best part is whatever you are upgrading from is what you get. so if your windows 8 is deluxe your windows 10 is deluxe. i went and bought a windows 7 ultimate for almost nothing and did the upgrade from there.
            Hmmm sounds like a lot of work to get the fancy version. The major difference I heard is Home version has automatic updates where as Pro gives you options. When you upgraded, did you go straight to 10 or did you have to upgrade to 8 and then onward to 10?

Bendit wrote: View Post
            I originally upgraded both of my laptops (using Windows 7) about a year ago....with mixed results. The one I used most (Asus) while upgrading fine hiccupped after a week. It just froze and wouldn't reboot and reverting was not an option. I just had to wipe it clean and reinstall Win 7 (did not want to take a chance with my main unit again). The other one (HP) seems to be chugging along fine with Win 10... though I hardly use it. Long story short I cannot attest to the superiority of win 10 over win 7. Win 7 has been a very stable system thru the yrs.
            If you upgrade please ensure you do all the necessary backups (externally) before you do.
            Have things improved from then to now at all?

Comment

I've upgraded. Its great. Really no downside if you're coming from Windows 7.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                I've upgraded. Its great. Really no downside if you're coming from Windows 7.
                You just built a new PC. Did you load 7 on there and then upgrade?

Comment

You just built a new PC. Did you load 7 on there and then upgrade?
                  Nah, this is on my old PC still. Had Windows 7 for quite a while. Did the upgrade to 10 in a few hours and it was literally like nothing changed, minus some fancier skins and Metro-apps stuff. Steam apps and non-Steam games, 3D Rendering software, CAD software, all worked the exact same and everything.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                    Nah, this is on my old PC still. Had Windows 7 for quite a while. Did the upgrade to 10 in a few hours and it was literally like nothing changed, minus some fancier skins and Metro-apps stuff. Steam apps and non-Steam games, 3D Rendering software, CAD software, all worked the exact same and everything.
                    Performance wise did you notice a dip at all? Like as in using Office or gaming, etc.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jul 25, 2016, 12:59 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Performance wise did you notice a dip at all? Like as in using Office or gaming, etc.
                      By all accounts, performance should actually see a slight increase. The OS is a lot less power/memory hungry than Windows 7, so you'll find you have more space on your Hard Drive, and everything is just a bit smoother. On your good rig, you should definitely see an uptick.

Comment

I hate the look and feel of Windows 8.1 (have it installed at work).. is 10 like that or is it more like 7? Or do you get a choice? I love 7 and unless it goes out of support I'm probably going to keep using it.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I hate the look and feel of Windows 8.1 (have it installed at work).. is 10 like that or is it more like 7? Or do you get a choice? I love 7 and unless it goes out of support I'm probably going to keep using it.
                          I'll admit, it took me a bit to get used to Windows 8.1 coming from 7. I still fumble at times finding something. LOL

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Windows 10 is basically a fancier, better skin of Windows 7. If you like Windows 7, you won't notice a difference going to 10.

Comment

Came across this link yesterday. I would urge a read of users comments which appear after the article....which gives pause.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...0-vs-windows-7

Comment

Working...
                              X