Montreal Knows How to Have a Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal Knows How to Have a Parade

Haven’t seen why the Olympians aren’t doing a parade in Toronto, but ... Montreal sure knows how to throw one ... and a party. Nice to see.

http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/art...ontreal-parade

Regarding not having the parade in Toronto ..... fans would likely boo them.

Comment

I know you’re kidding, Doc, but it is curious that they wouldn’t have something for them here in Toronto. Makes me wonder if they might actually fear seeing a ho-hum turnout and response for the Olympic heroes in Canada’s largest city. Too bad, if so. I think we’d show up. It’d be fun.

Comment

ws511 wrote: View Post
        I know you’re kidding, Doc, but it is curious that they wouldn’t have something for them here in Toronto. Makes me wonder if they might actually fear seeing a ho-hum turnout and response for the Olympic heroes in Canada’s largest city. Too bad, if so. I think we’d show up. It’d be fun.
        Of course I'm kidding. I'd like to think the fan support would be there in Toronto, but Montreal take their sports very seriously and are extremely passionate about them. Apparently not serious enough to keep the Expos in town, but in all fairness it was never really a baseball city to begin with. The fan support for the Habs is probably the strongest in all of the NHL and same with the Alouttes and the Montreal Impact in their respective sports.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          Of course I'm kidding. I'd like to think the fan support would be there in Toronto, but Montreal take their sports very seriously and are extremely passionate about them. Apparently not serious enough to keep the Expos in town, but in all fairness it was never really a baseball city to begin with. The fan support for the Habs is probably the strongest in all of the NHL and same with the Alouttes and the Montreal Impact in their respective sports.
          Well, the Expos situation was a whole other thing, really. As one who’s from there, I quite believe that if they’d built the outdoor stadium that had been designed and planned and came very close to being built, the Expos would still have been there. Easily.

Once the Olympic Stadium began dropping its concrete from the ceiling to the ground, it was probably as good as over. I for one, never sat in it again feeling totally comfortable. And that’s not even addressing the reality that baseball is an outdoor game ... and the cavernous 'Big O' with its dubious roof made the Skydome seem downright warm and friendly.

Just like in its way, how the old Exhibition Stadium was more fun - at least for me - than the Skydome has ever been ... Jarry Park, the original Expos stadium (now the tennis stadium for the Canadian Open or whatever it's called) was always more fun than what the Big O could hope to be. And the crowds for the Expos were always good at Jarry Park.

The Alouettes that you mention factor in there, as well. They rarely had big crowds in the Big O after the first couple or so years there ... but as soon as they moved outdoors to Molson Stadium (owned by McGill University), a ticket was hard to come by.
          Last edited by ws511; Sat Apr 24, 2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

That's right, I forgot you are originally from Montreal ws511.

I've been to every major city in Canada and I have to say Montreal (and maybe Vancouver) are probably my favourite. There's just something about Montreal that makes it considerably different from the rest of them. I think its the history that intrigues me the most.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
              That's right, I forgot you are originally from Montreal ws511.

I've been to every major city in Canada and I have to say Montreal (and maybe Vancouver) are probably my favourite. There's just something about Montreal that makes it considerably different from the rest of them. I think its the history that intrigues me the most.
              It's a great town and I love going back to visit, but ... I do choose to live in Toronto. It is the home of the Raptors, after all. (Edited to put one of those 'wink' things. Don't see it, though.)
              Last edited by ws511; Sat Apr 24, 2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X