New Huskies alternate jerseys for 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    All those high powered branding people and they couldn't even just add the word "HUSKIES" like the original uniform, instead of Toronto?

On second thought, maybe they didn't want to bring back memories of this guy.....

I hope that's not your bobblehead doll you're trying to pawn on ebay. That should have been smashed to smithereens years ago, along with his face.

*edit - his face on the box does look like someone has tried to put a few stogies out on it.
    Last edited by Mack North; Tue Aug 23, 2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Raptors also released a Chinese new year jersey.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Raptors also released a Chinese new year jersey.
        I think that looks dope

Comment

Those are perdy.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
            All those high powered branding people and they couldn't even just add the word "HUSKIES" like the original uniform, instead of Toronto?

On second thought, maybe they didn't want to bring back memories of this guy.....

I actually like that it says Toronto instead of Huskies. All the new Jerseys just say Raptors. Not one of them says Toronto.. I don't think anyway.

Comment

^ Joey's right in that area. None of our jerseys last year said Toronto.

As for those wondering why these don't show a Huskies logo, it's because they're fauxbacks - reiterations of the original away jersey worn by the actual BAA (Basketball Alliance of America, the NBA's original name) Toronto Huskies. The primary logo for that team was literally a cartoon illustration, as where many logos back then. A team's name was usually picked/made by newspapers.

Hence why these are simple, plain and sleek jerseys. They're throwing back to a team from the 40's.

(P.S. I have a huge NBA what-if: What if the Huskies never ceased operations? How big would basketball be in Toronto and could it have at one point rivaled hockey in say, the 60's? How many rings would we own or how many legends could've played for the team? Would our jerseys be considered classics like the Celtics are? Lots to ponder here.)
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Chinese new year jersey

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Looks good.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Huskies is miles better than Raptors as a team name.

But, official team names all generally suck IMO. Much prefer to just be officially referred to as Toronto and have unofficial nicknames. So I like the blue and white jersey.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Where is that outdoor court?! ... I'd play there. I assume its at the pier, but I've never seen it.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                        Where is that outdoor court?! ... I'd play there. I assume its at the pier, but I've never seen it.
                        I think that's a shot of one of the Harbourfont Community Centre Courts. One of the most popular places to play pickup in TO.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                          Huskies is miles better than Raptors as a team name.

But, official team names all generally suck IMO. Much prefer to just be officially referred to as Toronto and have unofficial nicknames. So I like the blue and white jersey.
                          Disagree strongly on both fronts.

Raptors is at least unique (unlike Huskies).

Toronto is just where they play, this is Canada's team. #TeamOfTheNorth
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            Disagree strongly on both fronts.

Raptors is at least unique (unlike Huskies).

Toronto is just where they play, this is Canada's team. #TeamOfTheNorth
                            It's not unique bc of twolves and UW? So many university mascots it's hard to be original. Raptors is but that's bc it was a gimmick from a specific era. Personally I don't care about Jurassic park. Consider how many duplicate names or relative variations already exist. Huskies has history and reps the country. Our j-park would be cool as the dog pound. Prefer the colours too.
                            Would make an interesting poll perhaps?

Comment

New Huskies alternate jerseys for 2016-17

lewro wrote: View Post
                              It's not unique bc of twolves and UW? So many university mascots it's hard to be original. Raptors is but that's bc it was a gimmick from a specific era. Personally I don't care about Jurassic park. Consider how many duplicate names or relative variations already exist. Huskies has history and reps the country. Our j-park would be cool as the dog pound. Prefer the colours too.
                              Would make an interesting poll perhaps?
                              There are tons of universities with Huskies as the team name, several in Canada alone. U of Washington, UConn are the big programs but then there are Northeastern U, Houston Baptist U, Northern Illinois, St Cloud State and Canadian ones like Sask U, St Mary's U and George Brown college (exact same colour scheme there too). Huskies is a boring generic name. Raptors stands out.

The logo and mascots were gimmicks, but the team name isn't solely tied to a movie. Is it really any different than naming after any other creature/animal?

Dog pound? Really? Rather not copy the Factory of Sadness' football team.

Blue and white is too close to the Maple Leafs. Blanking the brand isn't going to sell more merchandise for MLSE or make the Raps look any better.

There was a whole thread about this when the team was considering the rebrand (which ended up pretty underwhelming). Probably had a poll on it.
                              Last edited by Axel; Wed Aug 24, 2016, 06:15 PM.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Well, I think the name is tied to the movie, which did capture a lot of childish imaginations at the time. I do think the name typically and rightfully should bare some affinity to the region.
                                I agree that huskies is an over-used name, more so now with the many examples that you have listed. However, I'm still not enamoured with the name raptors. It does conjure a threatening image but I don't think it represents the city or the country, which in my mind, should be the objective.
                                I also agree with your comment re: colour scheme. Mostly I just prefer blue personally. Both colours represent the region. I think they could make it a more distinct blue and I never feel like the jays overlap with the leafs. You're right tho, it does get redundant.
                                Anyway, they're not gonna rebrand so the conversation really only applies to this current iteration of the jersey.

Comment

Working...
                                X