ESPN Rumour: Bosh for Bynum Done Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mo-sales wrote: View Post
    So Maggette gets condemned for not playing on a winner in his career and Bosh gets praised for knowing how to deal with losses and a grueling 82 game schedule. Seems like they are both in the same boat. Both guys are great at putting up good numbers on bad teams.

I'm down to resign Bosh simply because the raptors won't see a player of his value come along very often, but his super max contract will be one of the worst in the league and if it can turned into a player of Bynums franchise altering potential, its ridiculous to not jump at that opportunity.

Aside from the obvious character disparities what is the difference between Chris Bosh and Zach Randolph?
    i dont think it was mentioned in the same context. magette going from crappy team to barely playoff team is so-so, but bosh going to barely playoff team to contender makes more sense. id be happy to resign bosh too if bargs will be coming off the bench. i think the killer Bs experiment should be over and never be tried again, you cant have a jumpshooting PF playing with a 3 pt seeking center. you have to have a big inside.

Comment

So Maggette gets condemned for not playing on a winner in his career and Bosh gets praised for knowing how to deal with losses and a grueling 82 game schedule. Seems like they are both in the same boat. Both guys are great at putting up good numbers on bad teams.

I'm down to resign Bosh simply because the raptors won't see a player of his value come along very often, but his super max contract will be one of the worst in the league and if it can turned into a player of Bynums franchise altering potential, its ridiculous to not jump at that opportunity.

Aside from the obvious character disparities what is the difference between Chris Bosh and Zach Randolph?
      i think mobility and agility. bosh tends to get out of double teams while zach gets stuck. bosh uses more moves while zach relies on brute force.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        When was the last time that Maggette played on a team with a winning record?

Answer 2005-06. That has been the only year in Maggette's 11 years in the league that he has ever played on a winning team. In the meantime he has played on some pretty awful teams during those 11 years.

Why would the Raptors want a guy who for all intense in purposes has never played on a winning NBA team over 11 years?

You could say it is not his fault, but there is a reason that some guys spend most of their career toiling for lousy teams and it is not because they know how to win.

2 thumbs down to the Raptors acquiring Maggette.
        Wasn't this the case with a guy named Jamal Crawford, 09-10 Sixth Man Of The Year Award winner Jamal Crawford? Sometimes it's not always the player themselves but the teams they play for. Crawford finally got the chance to be on a winning team and has flourished this season. I'd do a Calderon for Maggette swap in a heartbeat!

Comment

Ohh ya done deal....
          i hate when people say things like that
          if it were done it would of happened at the deadline but the LA brass said that it wasnt true

strap in guys theres going to be "done deals" untill he's dealt

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
            Wasn't this the case with a guy named Jamal Crawford, 09-10 Sixth Man Of The Year Award winner Jamal Crawford? Sometimes it's not always the player themselves but the teams they play for. Crawford finally got the chance to be on a winning team and has flourished this season. I'd do a Calderon for Maggette swap in a heartbeat!
            perfect example. ive been vouching for magette since the warriors got him, i was hoping we'd snatch him but we got hedo instead. he would be good for us, maybe we can make him the next 6th man of the year.

Comment

Zach is a far better low post player, Chris is a far better face up player.

Comment

If we can get Haywood and Magette on a 3 team deal for Bosh and Calderon, that would be awesome, but theyd probably eat Jay Triano alive.

Haywood
                Bargs
                Hedo
                Magette
                Jack

wowza.

Comment

You are half correct I am afraid....Crawford did play for a winning team (Hawks..and as a sub) while Maggette would potentially be coming to a losing team (the Raps the last 2 yrs.) and be a starter. I dont know that this is a good analogy.

Comment

Check out Bynum's NBA info page.

It's meant to be!

Comment

Big difference between Maggette and Bosh. First of all, in 11 seasons, Maggette has played in 1 playoff series. And Maggette is a below average defender and passer, mostly from playing on bad teams for most of his career. He's never really learned how to play on a winning team. Bosh, while he has played on more losing teams than winning teams, has shown he can play in a winning atmosphere and make a positive impact. Maggette has not.

The problems when guys play on bad teams for so long is that they pick up bad habits and it becomes ingrained in their game. Maggette came into the league pretty raw, and if he went to a winning team that could develop him, he could have become a much better player. But over the years, he never learned to focus on defense and playing on losing teams usually means playing on selfish teams, so passing was not important.

And as for the differences between Randolph and Bosh, the two biggest ones are defense and passing. While Bosh is by no means a great passer, he's LeBron James compared to Randolph. And Randolph simply is a bad defensive player. It's hard to win when you've got a below average defender as a big man.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                        I'm also in the "not a huge fan of Bynum" party, but at this point his sheer potential intrigues me and he would be one of (if not the best) better options we've heard regarding any sign & trade deals pertaining to Bosh.

I love Lee, but he'd be a terrible fit to this existing line-up assuming that we're removing Bosh and replacing him with David. We'd hands down be the worst defensive team of all-time.
                        BTW, welcome to the RR Forums RPT23.
                        you say that. but, you know the worst defensive team ever is probably the suns and hey 54 wins this season and looks like there going to go at least to the second round in a tough west conference against a gritty defensive team like the trailblazers.

i ain't sayin, i'm just saying, if lee get's a double double every night that solves our rebounding problem if we insert weems and jack that gives us some defense. derozan tries playing d, he's not the best at it but hey he's not awful and at least he tries.

i'm honestly, more high on getting lee than bynum, i don't know i just feel with a decent defensive backcourt and a good offensive frountcourt and a rebounding machine in lee, we could go far.

the only reason we did do as poor as we did was because turkoglu was an out of shape bum and when bosh went down we had no leader. I actually think we'll be better without bosh, but i think it's a smarter move to ship him out west that way we could only meet him in the championship series.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          you say that. but, you know the worst defensive team ever is probably the suns and hey 54 wins this season and looks like there going to go at least to the second round in a tough west conference against a gritty defensive team like the trailblazers.

i ain't sayin, i'm just saying, if lee get's a double double every night that solves our rebounding problem if we insert weems and jack that gives us some defense. derozan tries playing d, he's not the best at it but hey he's not awful and at least he tries.

i'm honestly, more high on getting lee than bynum, i don't know i just feel with a decent defensive backcourt and a good offensive frountcourt and a rebounding machine in lee, we could go far.

the only reason we did do as poor as we did was because turkoglu was an out of shape bum and when bosh went down we had no leader. I actually think we'll be better without bosh, but i think it's a smarter move to ship him out west that way we could only meet him in the championship series.
                          The 2 largest flaws defensively of the Raps are that a) we have/had no interior aggressive presence b) no good defensive presence at the point of attack (guard defense).

Getting someone like Lee will not help assist with these deficiencies. He does not have very good lateral movement nor jumping/shot blocking ability. Re: the Suns they have Lopez as a big who has done very well this year intimidating interior offense and while Nash is defensively challenged his 2 guard Barbosa helps quite well.

Imo therefore, possibilities like Bynum from LA or Scola from Houston are better fits for the Raptors going forward. Addressing the guard situation (prime attrib. being quickness which not only helps move the ball but also helps on defense around picks and switching) as well as better coaching for the Raptors should improve team next season.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

Two major problem with your argument, Cochise. The first is that Phoenix is not nearly as bad defensively as you seem to think. They're not great, but they certainly aren't historically bad and they've got some pretty good defenders on the roster. The second, and most important reason, is that the reason the Suns won 54 games this season was due to the fact that their point guard is Steve Nash. Without him, that team does no better than the Raptors this year.

Besides, wanting to be like Phoenix is all well and good, but teams like Phoenix have never, ever won a Championship. While it's certainly possible to find success trying to outscore your opponent, the best way to find success is to defend. A front court of Bargnani, Lee and Turkoglu can't win. Period. Not unless you've got Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant as your back court, and the Raptors certainly don't have that.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              You are half correct I am afraid....Crawford did play for a winning team (Hawks..and as a sub) while Maggette would potentially be coming to a losing team (the Raps the last 2 yrs.) and be a starter. I dont know that this is a good analogy.
                              The point was that he played for a "loser" his whole career and he became integral part of a team that has become very good when the opportunity came about. I'm not saying Maggette is a superstar or anything, but if he was on the Raps they'd be much better because I'm sure we all agree the Raps are missing a nice wing player and I think he fits the bill.

Comment

The point was that he played for a "loser" his whole career and he became integral part of a team that has become very good when the opportunity came about. I'm not saying Maggette is a superstar or anything, but if he was on the Raps they'd be much better because I'm sure we all agree the Raps are missing a nice wing player and I think he fits the bill.
                                I really think Maggette could be an all-star in the East.

With Bosh likely leaving the Raps, since he accounted for at least 40% of our FTA (educated guess) - and we were near the botton of the league in that stat - we could use a player with Maggette's skill set to make up that difference.
                                RR OG

Comment

Working...
                                X