Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Rumour: Bosh for Bynum Done Deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Andrew Bynum
    Average games played per season: 55.6 (67.8%)
    Average games player per season when averaging more than 28 minutes per game: 50 (60.9%)

You can speculate on his production all day but with his injury track record and the types of injuries sustained we need to be aware of what's to come if he's a Raptor. When he plays over 28 minutes a game he misses 40% of the season. That's scary, hence 60 cents on the dollar. My comment can be justified in terms of games played alone without going into skills or talent.
    One of my best friends is a die-hard Lakers fan (he's been one since we've been 7), and when I asked him about the rumours about half an hour ago, he didn't even hesitate when he talked about doing a Bosh for Bynum deal. He would do it in a nano-second. Bosh is a deadly talent, one of the best big men in the game and would make the Lakers pretty much unstoppable. He loves the talent that Bynum has, but it seems like the kid is either A: always injured or B: constantly needs a kick in the pants to get him going. But there's no denying that when he's on, he's unstoppable. If it means trading Bosh to west, I do it without giving it a second thought. Trading him in-conference would be horrible.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

He's had two seasons marred by injures, played 82 games his second season and 65 this season. Bosh played five more games than him this season, he's not like Oden where you cringe every time he leaves the ground. He's a 23 year old center still coming into his body. He's four years away from his prime and like most young centers has had a difficult physical adjustment going from high school to the pro's.

It's a sizable risk for sure, but i'd rather risk 5 years of Bynum than 5 more years of Bosh. Whose to say Bosh and his wonky knee and freakish face collisions will be any safer than Bynum's awkward gawk down the court.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RPT23 wrote: View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think Lee would be a perfect fit... "rebounding-wise" only. He'd be the only player on the team to actually want to rebound. Everyone else usually watches Bosh grab the rebound. Ah, now I'm really getting irritated at that thought (of everyone else watching Bosh).
    you are crazy. hahaha

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    One of my best friends is a die-hard Lakers fan (he's been one since we've been 7), and when I asked him about the rumours about half an hour ago, he didn't even hesitate when he talked about doing a Bosh for Bynum deal. He would do it in a nano-second. Bosh is a deadly talent, one of the best big men in the game and would make the Lakers pretty much unstoppable. He loves the talent that Bynum has, but it seems like the kid is either A: always injured or B: constantly needs a kick in the pants to get him going. But there's no denying that when he's on, he's unstoppable. If it means trading Bosh to west, I do it without giving it a second thought. Trading him in-conference would be horrible.
    no doubt, right now, bosh is better than bynum statistics wise. and what youre getting in bosh is a seasoned veteran, who already knows how to handle losses and the gruelling grind of an 82 game season. But Bynum definitely has the potential to be much more than what he is right now. The guy averaged 16pts, 8rebs and almost 2 blks this season, and that being "technically" the 5th option (kobe, pau, artest, odom then him). I say technically because more often than not, the ball goes through artest or odom first then him. And Bynum is a much better fit for the raps. WE NEED A CENTER people! Bargs was never, nor will ever be a center. Injuries are non-predictable in the NBA, even CB had his fair share of injuries. Unless youre dealing with Greg Oden, injuries i think should not be considered much in getting the right players.

Id do the trade. And the upside to it is, if Bynum goes VC-like on us, he is very tradeable. A 23 yr old 7'2 player is quite a commodity in the NBA. we will have no problem in trading him. You think BC is hanging on to Bargs because he likes him as a player??? I think he is frustrated with him as much as we all are, but unlike us, he's getting calls from the 29 other GMs trying to pry Bargs out of his hands. Thats why he's never ever trading him, because he is something that all the other GMs want. Trust me, if you can get a 7 footer on your team who can dribble penetrate, shoot 3s, post up, youd get this player in an instant.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Thu Apr 29th, 2010 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    no doubt, right now, bosh is better than bynum statistics wise. and what youre getting in bosh is a seasoned veteran, who already knows how to handle losses and the gruelling grind of an 82 game season. But Bynum definitely has the potential to be much more than what he is right now. The guy averaged 16pts, 8rebs and almost 2 blks this season, and that being "technically" the 5th option (kobe, pau, artest, odom then him). I say technically because more often than not, the ball goes through artest or odom first then him. And Bynum is a much better fit for the raps. WE NEED A CENTER people! Bargs was never, nor will ever be a center. Injuries are non-predictable in the NBA, even CB had his fair share of injuries. Unless youre dealing with Greg Oden, injuries i think should not be considered much in getting the right players.

Id do the trade. And the upside to it is, if Bynum goes VC-like on us, he is very tradeable. A 23 yr old 7'2 player is quite a commodity in the NBA. we will have no problem in trading him.
    I agree with you brother, I'd definitely do that deal, simply because the potential and the value is probably better than any other deal we'd get. And Bynum would be an all-star next year, seeing the lack of true 5's in the east, which might soothe the fairweather fans.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    It's not just Bynum's injury history that worries me, it's his motivation. Toronto doesn't have Kobe Bryant, Phil Jackson, and Pau Gasol to be on Bynum's ass all the time to develop a player. Does he have enough self-motivation to continue progressing? I doubt we'd have seen Bynum develop so quickly if he were on another team.
    Kareem was Bynum's personal coach for 3 years or maybe 4. That is how he was able to develop an good game on offense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Man, if the Lakers get Bosh, then whats the point in playing? They would be the most complete lineup, Gasol, Bosh, Artest, Kobe, Fisher. Every spot is filled with the perfect player.

Id only give up Bosh if they take Calderon's contract, which would probably work since they need a PG who is pass-first, and can open the floor with 3's. They'd also make Gasol happy since theyre bringing in another spaniard to play with him. We'd probably get Bynum, Vujacic and Brown. This way, we get a young center beside Bargs, the expiring contract of Vujacic and a combo guard to play alongside weems and DD. I mean were not going to be outright contender's but it would be some good youth players to build on.
    Fisher is old and finished. Westbrook treated him like Westbrooks personal beetch. Before game #5 Kobe went to Jackson and said I want Westbrook. The difference was clearly noticeable in Westbrook's game with Kobe guarding him vs Fisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Could you imagine next year's slam dunk competition with Weems, DeRozan and Brown, all from the same team? At least the practices would be exciting.
    This was of course before he got heavier and older

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    Bynum is 60 cents on the dollar?

Really? I'm pretty sure if they make that trade Bynum has better numbers than Bosh next year and at a much reduced price tag. Throw in the fact that he is a beast defensively, still improving and has a serious chip on his shoulder, i'd say the raps are getting the better exchange rate.

Bynum's biggest problem other than his injuries woes is that he doesn't mesh with Gasol on the court. He thinks he should be the go to guy on the lakers and instead he's third fiddle at best. They won last year without him and I think he wants his own to team to prove that he can be the man. He's being under utilized and its affecting his game play.

This trade would catapult the raps to upper echelon of the East. Turk would get his Dwight back, Bargs would flourish on both sides of the ball and even poor Jose wouldn't be the sacrificial lamb on defense any more.

If the Lakers want to make this trade, the raptors should do it regardless of whether Bosh wants to stay or not. Bynum is what Oden is supposed to be, once he puts it together the league better take notice. He is the home run that BC has been swinging at for over four years, big risk, big reward.
    That must have been some really good stuff you were enjoying while writing the above. Heh if it works for you stay with it.

Raptors Republic Starter rdiaz101's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is true, throw in Bargs and bring in Odom to this Package whatever it is and it would be perfect, Raps would be able to go after some other free agents (Joe Johnson). Odom and Bynum is already way better defensively than Bargs and Bynum .
    "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    If we do end up trading Bosh for Bynum, I'd "still" like to see the Raps trade Calderon to the Warriors for Maggette.

How would this Raps team stack up against the best in the East:

Starters
    PG: Jack
    SG: Derozan
    SF: Maggette
    PF: Bargs
    C: Bynum

Bench
    PG: Hedo (Point Forward), Banks
    SG: Belinelli
    SF: Weems
    PF: Evans
    C: Amir

And we would also have our draft pick (the best player available).
    There's no way Golden State would want Calderon. Now if they want to trade Maggette for Bargnani, I'd do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay lets compare some numbers from this season.

Games played Bynum 65 Johnson 82
    Points per 36 minutes as a starter Bynum 17.8 Johnson 19.6
    Rebounds per 36 minutes Bynum 9.9 Johnson 9.8
    Total Rebounding % Bynum 15.3% Johnson 16.1%
    True Field Goal % Bynum .608 Johnson .639
    Effective Field Goal % Bynum .570 Johnson .623

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...bynuman01.html

Defensive Rating - Team points allowed per 100 possessions when on the court vs when off the court. The bigger the negative number the better.

Bynum 103.33 vs 103.34 or -1.01
    Johnson 107.92 vs 116.17 or -8.25

http://basketballvalue.com/teamplaye...r=ASC&team=TOR

Opponents Field Goal Percentage on court vs off court - The smaller the number the better

Bynum 48.6% vs 48.3% or plus .3%
    Johnson 48.0% vs 53.1% or minus 5.1%

Fouls per 36 minutes as a starter
    ----------------------------------------
    Bynum 3.6
    Johnson 4.0

So fouls per 36 minutes as a starter is the only category that Bynum beat Johnson in and the difference was not that much.

In addition

1. Johnson has no problem being motivated
    2. So far, cross fingers and toes, Bynum as been far more injury prone.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Another question no one is asking is do we really want Bosh moving to the division rival Knicks? My answer is no.
    Yep, ship him West...

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Didnt Vecsey (NY Post) have this trade in Jan.? Didnt go down then and probably wont again. I dont know how the triangle offense works exactly... but how does having 2 PFs (Gasol & Bosh) with similar skill sets make LA better? They would have a large defensive disadvantage when a big like Howard or a Yao came to town. They would be probably be better off chasing someone like Chris Paul...a point guard which they need much more. If they had to give up Bynum they could even get a big body like Shaq back as a defensive big body presence only (wouldnt that be delicious irony!).

If the deal goes down it would be nice to do a bigger one by sending Jose along as well.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post

Defensive Rating - Team points allowed per 100 possessions when on the court vs when off the court. The bigger the negative number the better.

Opponents Field Goal Percentage on court vs off court - The smaller the number the better

Bynum 3.6
    Johnson 4.0

So fouls per 36 minutes as a starter is the only category that Bynum beat Johnson in and the difference was not that much.

In addition

Dang Buddha, I actually agree with you about something!

Bynum is a sulky, inconsistent, injury prone risk. We'd be asking too much of him in terms of both minutes and leadership/performance, and our coaching staff couldn't motivate him. He'd be yet another question mark, if-only, maybe/someday Raptor. I'm tired of question marks.

How many years have we heard about how 'Bynum is about to have a breakthrough season?'

The fact that L.A. would do this deal in a second (and I'd do it if I were them, too) worries me.
    Last edited by Copywryter; Thu Apr 29th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TIm W. wrote: View Post
    There's no way Golden State would want Calderon. Now if they want to trade Maggette for Bargnani, I'd do that.
    (NOTE: I realize this discussion is OT for this thread, but it was one I intiated ealier on page 2).

I respectfully disagree.

1) Now that Don Nelson has finally become the the NBA career wins leader, he's probably going to retire. A new coach will likely want to re-tool the the roster and inplement a different system. *As it stands, the Warriors don't have a true pass-first PG or a legit back-up PG.

2) Calderon and Maggette have nearly identical contracts (years and dollars). Trading them would be a even swap.

3) Maggette has been disgruntled with the Warriors and may not fit in their long-term plans (given his age and contract). They are stacked with young athletes at the SF/PF position and are going to get another lottery pick this year.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Thu Apr 29th, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    1) Now that Don Nelson has finally become the the NBA career wins leader, he's probably going to retire. A new coach will likely want to re-tool the the roster and inplement a different system. *As it stands, the Warriors don't have a true pass-first PG or a legit back-up PG.
    So then what is Stephen Curry? He creates offense for his teammates and for himself. He may not be pass-first, but he's certainly not selfish. The warriors may be more interested in Jack to back up Curry because Calderon's price tag is too steep.

Post Thanks / Like

When was the last time that Maggette played on a team with a winning record?

Answer 2005-06. That has been the only year in Maggette's 11 years in the league that he has ever played on a winning team. In the meantime he has played on some pretty awful teams during those 11 years.

Why would the Raptors want a guy who for all intense in purposes has never played on a winning NBA team over 11 years?

You could say it is not his fault, but there is a reason that some guys spend most of their career toiling for lousy teams and it is not because they know how to win.

2 thumbs down to the Raptors acquiring Maggette.

Raptors Republic Rookie A00715890's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post

Bynum 3.6
    Johnson 4.0

In addition

ya whatever...johnson has never been a starter....while bynum is the starter for the current champs...if you think johnson is better than bynum right now....then your outta you mind...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote A00715890 wrote: View Post
    ya whatever...johnson has never been a starter....while bynum is the starter for the current champs...if you think johnson is better than bynum right now....then your outta you mind...
    You keep thinking that way.

Watch and learn over the next couple of years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information