Could Bosh Be Heading Home After All?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Bosh Be Heading Home After All?

I know Arse touched on this topic in his blog this morning (Click here), but for those that don't venture to the blog I thought we could have a discussion here in the forums at the same time.

Now that Dallas ended yet another disappointing campaign, chances are Cuban is really going to want to shake things up. Things aren't obviously getting done with Dirk leading the team, so do you think the Mavs just entered themselves into the "Chris Bosh Sweepstakes" or like Arse said in his write-up this morning and Doug in his article, is the likelihood of Bosh going to Dallas slim to none?

Here's Doug's take on it:

So what now, Mr. Cuban?

Don’t you have to wonder what will happen with the Mavericks now that they’ve suffered another early playoff exit and the team built to contend for a championship suddenly looks old, unable to keep its composure and adrift?

The big question, of course, is whether or not Dirk Nowitzki decides to exercise his option to become a free agent in July and, let me tell you, if he does, it changes everything. All season long, no one expected him to ever consider it but after that loss to San Antonio, which marked the third time in four years the Mavs have been eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, it’s sounding like all bets are off from reading the Dirk quotes post-game:

"I wanted to obviously have a long playoff run here and go for my dream again. And now I'm just obviously too shocked and too disappointed.

“I haven't really thought anything about my future yet. I guess I've got some time now to think about some stuff, think about my options.”

Now, before anyone goes all crazy on us and starts the Bosh back home thoughts, consider this: The only time Bosh ever spoke openly about Dallas was with my man Eddie Sefko before the all-star break and Bosh’s point was that it’s tremendously hard, what will all the tugs on a guy’s time, to go play in your hometown.

So I’d scratch the Mavs off the list, at the moment.

But here’s something to ponder:

Not only have the Mavs lost in the first round three of the last four years, they are the only team since the league expanded the first round to a best-of-seven in 2003 to lose as a No. 1 seed (2007 to Golden State) and as a No. 2 seed (2010 to San Antonio).

There is no way Mark Cuban settles for that kind of dubious legacy so if you’re looking for a good team that might make substantial change this summer, the Mavs could very well be it.
    Source - Click here

I don't know how well we match up with Dallas financially. I wouldn't touch Jet or Kidd, Caron's an expiring, we just traded Marion last summer, so what's left, really? I'd love Beaubois, but I don't see the Mavs wanting to part with him...and like you pointed out Doc, it would be tough to play in your hometown. You wouldn't have much time to do anything. You'd have so many committments on top of your already daily routie committments.

Comment

I didn't watch any games in the Mavs/Spurs series, but I don't see any holes in the Mavs on paper (other than perhaps J.Kidd's on-ball defense), which makes me wonder how they got beat in six and how they expect to get better playoff results with Dirk as their alpha.
      RR OG

Comment

Butler can be extended. Colangelo and Marion have no hard feelings unless I missed something. Haywood would fit nice. Terry fits the kind of mold that Colangelo seems to like and that's not me endorsing Terry, that's me stating what Colangelo seems to like. The Mavs don't have a 1st rounder but all in all there are lots of pieces there that could be used in a deal to make it work. Maybe Colangelo could pawn hedo off on them in the process?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Butler can be extended. Colangelo and Marion have no hard feelings unless I missed something. Haywood would fit nice. Terry fits the kind of mold that Colangelo seems to like and that's not me endorsing Terry, that's me stating what Colangelo seems to like. The Mavs don't have a 1st rounder but all in all there are lots of pieces there that could be used in a deal to make it work. Maybe Colangelo could pawn hedo off on them in the process?
          I was under the impression that Marion didn't want to stay with Toronto, hence the 4-team deal last summer. Haywood would be nice, but he would have to be s & t'ed.
          Question is: If Dirk stays with Dallas and Bosh is added, where does Bosh play? The 3? And Bosh wants to go somewhere where he's the man.

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
            I didn't watch any games in the Mavs/Spurs series, but I don't see any holes in the Mavs on paper (other than perhaps J.Kidd's on-ball defense), which makes me wonder how they got beat in six and how they expect to get better playoff results with Dirk as their alpha.
            I watched every game. I love the Spurs. The big reason the Spurs won was better defense. Defense trumps offense every time, in my book. While Dirk is not a bad defender, he's often the weak link on defense. It's incredibly difficult to win without a very good defensive front line. The Mavs might have also lost because, while they didn't have any major holes, they're not really a "team", but a collection of very good players. The certainly have more talent than San Antonio, but a lot of it is repeated. Haywood and Dampier. Marion and Butler.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              I don't know how well we match up with Dallas financially. I wouldn't touch Jet or Kidd, Caron's an expiring, we just traded Marion last summer, so what's left, really? I'd love Beaubois, but I don't see the Mavs wanting to part with him...and like you pointed out Doc, it would be tough to play in your hometown. You wouldn't have much time to do anything. You'd have so many committments on top of your already daily routie committments.
              i would do a beaubois + resigned haywood and resigned butler....for bosh and jose or hedo....

Comment

I was under the impression that Marion didn't want to stay with Toronto, hence the 4-team deal last summer. Haywood would be nice, but he would have to be s & t'ed.
                Question is: If Dirk stays with Dallas and Bosh is added, where does Bosh play? The 3? And Bosh wants to go somewhere where he's the man.
                I was under the impression that he wanted more money than the Raptors wanted to pay.

Bosh and Dirk would play the two paint positions. Bosh has little track record at the 3 so I'm not sure why you're suggesting that when he played center for most of his first three seasons in the league. Now he's a whole lot bigger. Put it this way, Bosh or Dirk at center on D is just as good as most guys they had manning the middle.
                Last edited by Apollo; Fri Apr 30, 2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I was under the impression that he wanted more money than the Raptors wanted to pay.

Bosh and Dirk would play the two paint positions. Bosh has little track record at the 3 so I'm not sure why you're suggesting that when he played center for most of his first three seasons in the league. Now he's a whole lot bigger. Put it this way, Bosh or Dirk at center on D is just as good as most guys they had manning the middle.
                  better than haywood?...i dont think so....

Comment

That could be why I said most?

Comment

That could be why I said most?
                      haha...the only other player that plays the C is Dampier and i would still take his defense over bosh's...

Comment

I don't see why Colangelo wouldn't have given him the 8 million a year he's currently getting with the Mavs and would have spent an extra 2 million on Hedo. It doesn't quite add up, you know?

Bosh has a little history of playing the 3, but quite sparingly. And Bosh did play the 5 when he first entered the league, but it's well documented that he got beat up while playing the position. I don't know if Bosh could play the 5 in the west. The East doesn't have very many true centres, and he doesn't play it very often as it is. I think if he was to play the 5, his numbers would drop - not considerably, however. He doesn't have the bulk to sustain the pounding. I know a lot of people say that as long as you put 5 quality players out on the court, typical positions (SF, PF, C) doesn't really matter, but IMO, it does.
                        Last edited by MangoKid; Fri Apr 30, 2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I don't see why Colangelo wouldn't have given him the 8 million a year he's currently getting with the Mavs and would have spent an extra 2 million on Hedo. It doesn't quite add up, you know?
                          Sure it does if you take the articles that came out at face value. It was written at the time that Colangelo didn't want to commit to the years Marion was looking for, him being 32 and relying heavily on athleticism.

Comment

Sure it does if you take the articles that came out at face value. It was written at the time that Colangelo didn't want to commit to the years Marion was looking for, him being 32 and relying heavily on athleticism.
                            That was the main concern - but his rebounding abilities and defensive play sorta hid a lot of others' deficiencies. It only looks horrible now because of our defensive woes and Hedo's lacklusture play. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

Comment

Marion didn't exactly have a great year in Dallas, and while he did better than Turkoglu, it's just one year. Let's see how he does in year 2 or 3.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X