• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosh & Calderon to Houston

Would you do this S&T:

Bosh, Calderon & Toronto 2nd 2012
    FOR
    Ariza, one of Brooks/Lowry, one of Hill/Scola, Houston 1st 2010 and New York 1st 2012

use expiring contracts to even out salaries.

I went with Calderon for Houston because:

a. I don't think Houston takes Turkoglu regardless;
    b. Calderon is a proven bench strength and better fit/distributor for Houston if he has Yao/Bosh to send passes to;
    c. Calderon's contract is cheaper and shorter than Turkoglu's (far more enticing to Houston imo)

Great trade for TO all things considered as:

1. Ariza is a nice fit for Turkoglu (if Turks is retained) or replacement for him if Turks is traded
    2. Either one of Brooks or Lowry make for a nice back-up/co-chair for Jack
    3. I much prefer Scola as it retains as much competitiveness as possible for the Raps but Hill is a nice consolation prize and has better upside
    4. The picks allow us to continue to retool/help dump Turks
    5. Calderon is one of the problem contracts and dumping it is a big plus
    6. What we lose with Bosh we may get via the massive defensive upgrade that this trade represents (especially if its Scola at PF)

PG Jack/Brooks or Lowry
    SG Weems/DeRozan
    SF Turks/Ariza
    PF Johnson/Scola or Hill
    .C Bargnani

Banks, Bellinelli, Evans remain last-year contracts up for trade going forward.

Center spot remains an issue but hopefully a trade would deal with that.

"use expiring contracts to even out salaries."

Uh, WHAT expiring contracts? Bosh and Calderon would make approximately $28 million. Try and find $28 million of Houston contracts that is not going to completely gut the team, because right now you're not even close.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
      "use expiring contracts to even out salaries."

Uh, WHAT expiring contracts? Bosh and Calderon would make approximately $28 million. Try and find $28 million of Houston contracts that is not going to completely gut the team, because right now you're not even close.
      Jeffries has a PO for ~ $6.9 million and Hayes has a TO at $2.3 million.

Next year Bosh and Calderon come to ~ $26.1 million.

Going with the cheaper trade option:

Jeffries (6.9) + Ariza (6.3) + Hill (2.7) + Brooks (2.0) + Draft Picks (x2 at ~ 1.5 each = 3.0)
      = ~ $20.9 million.

Using the 125% available = ~ $26.1 million

This wouldn't be hard math and I find it hard to believe the teams couldn't make it happen - EASILY - if they wanted to. This isn't a jumping-through-hoops 'Turk' style deal.

Also - I fail to see where Houston's roster would be 'gutted'. Their roster (before any other signings):

PG Brooks or Lowry/Calderon
      SG Martin
      SF Battier/Budinger
      PF Bosh/Scola or Hill
      .C Yao/Anderson

That's 9 quality starters right there and two of those are top-5 at their positions.

Comment

YKOil, Bosh and Calderon will be making at least $28 million, not $26. Remember that Bosh will be getting a raise by becoming a free agent.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He can only get 30% of the cap. If the new Cap number is $56.1 million this gives him a new starting number of $16.83. Newsflash: He actually takes a small dip on the 1st year of a new deal compared to the last year of his current one ($17.15).

Bosh ($16.83) + Calderon ($9.00) = $25.83 million

Comment

Working...
          X