Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bynum, Beasley, Noah and Lee Who Fits Best With the Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    My friend we are so far apart on this that I really see no reason to pursue it. Your comment about N. Ryan. All I can say is strike three you're out.

It seems that you really don't understand baseball. For a pitcher to be a successful hard thrower not only do you need to to have a great arm but whole body especially your legs have to be in shape.

Do some research on the workout routine that Ryan went through during the later part of his career.

This book was written 2 years before the year of his that I posted.
    Baseball is a non-contact sport.

Gordie Howe's body took a lot more pounding than Kobe's does and that doesn't include the hockey sticks to his body and head and fights that he was in.
    Still waiting on my basketball comparison...Wing slasher. Any wing for that matter would probably do.

Kobe's game is not falling off. You don't play 38 mpg average 27 ppg both above career averages and make all defense first team if your body is failing. End of story. nuff said fini!! It seems to me that you don't have any idea of the workout routines that Kobe goes through to keep performing at this peak level despite the number of minutes he has played. Throw in that and a continued unbelievable drive to win and he you can throw out what other players have done as a projection for him.
    I've clearly said his body is about to start failing him and there is a lot to support this but you don't want to accept it. I've given you his mileage and I've compared it to others who played a role similar to his. I've brought up the point about the majority of players at his position begin to regress physically when they hit his age. I've brought up his injury history. I've brought up the fact that he needs his teammates more now because he can't always do what he used to do.

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, winner of the 2009-10 Defensive Player of the Year Award presented by Kia Motors, and guard Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics headline the NBA All-Defensive First Team, the NBA announced today. By totaling 57 points overall, including 28 First Team votes, Howard edged Rondo (50 points overall and 23 First Team votes) as the leading vote-getter.

Also selected to the All-Defensive First Team are forward LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers (45 points), Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant (34 points) and Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace (30 points).

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/duncan...se_100505.html

So far I haven't noticed any falling off in his overall game.

It will be very interesting to see if Kobe tells Jackson that he wants to guard Nash. Most likely the Lakers will start with Fisher on him like they did with Westbrook and see how it goes. If Fisher can't handle him, which I doubt it wouldn't surprise me to see Kobe on him. Then we have a pretty good indicator how good his defense is vs one of the best PG's in the NBA.
    I never said his performance has regressed but I did say that in the past he got there relying more on himself and less on others.

We're debating basketball and you bring me baseball, hockey and football arguments. If you're on strong footing then surely there must be good basketball examples that can support you in this basketball debate... You're right, what's the point in continuing?
    Last edited by Apollo; Sun May 16, 2010, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Best Fit

Noah would be my first choice. Bynum would be nice, but his health worries me. Either one would make a perfect fit for Andrea. And with Amir hopefully back, and Evans told NOT to shoot (or post up), the Raptors would just have to concentrate on strengthening the Back Court. Add a "true" defensive pick from the draft, move Calderon ['crossing my fingers'], plus give Banks a little more of an opportunity, and I'd expect a play-off round ... even if that's not such a lofty goal.
      With all the young guns on the team, play-off experience should be the next step. When the Second season comes along, who knows what can happen. Ask LeBronski how he feels. Then ask Montreal or Philly how they feel.

Comment

Ya, there's really no point in comparing basketball to other sports. They're very. very different. In hockey, you take a pounding, but it's different. It's from contact, not years of running, jumping, starting, stopping and turning on the court. It's not just the physical play, it's the wear and tear on the joints. No other sport is as bad as basketball.

Anyone who think Kobe has a lot of years left, read this good article from Hoopshype...
        http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/laz...-a-competitor/
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Should CB4 decide to leave, Noah is the best fit for Toronto: he get the passion for the game that I am pretty sure the Raptors fans will fall in love with from day 1.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Ya, there's really no point in comparing basketball to other sports. They're very. very different. In hockey, you take a pounding, but it's different. It's from contact, not years of running, jumping, starting, stopping and turning on the court. It's not just the physical play, it's the wear and tear on the joints. No other sport is as bad as basketball.

Anyone who think Kobe has a lot of years left, read this good article from Hoopshype...
            http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/laz...-a-competitor/
            Yeah and it's not uncommon for centers in hockey or pitchers in baseball or QBs in football to play strong deep into their 30's and there are many more cases of players playing in their 40's than in basketball. Most guards in basketball begin to break down when they hit 32-33. They start to loose some speed, quickness and hops.

Kobe has played more minutes at 32 than Jordan did at 35. That's a lot of mileage. Sorry to repeat this but its the most important stat there is.

More signs of things to come from Kobe and back to Bynum:
            Bryant recently had a significant amount of fluid drained from his swollen right knee, The Times has learned, and hasn't practiced since the last round. Bynum practiced only once and said the torn cartilage in his right knee was "getting a little worse" after making it through Saturday's scrimmage.
            LATimes.com
            Last edited by Apollo; Mon May 17, 2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Yeah and it's not uncommon for centers in hockey or pitchers in baseball or QBs in football to play strong deep into their 30's and there are many more cases of players playing in their 40's than in basketball. Most guards in basketball begin to break down when they hit 32-33. They start to loose some speed, quickness and hops.

Kobe has played more minutes at 32 than Jordan did at 35. That's a lot of mileage. Sorry to repeat this but its the most important stat there is.
              Basketball is more dependant on pure athleticism than any other major sport. And even then, look at the NHL guys who play into their late 30s. Current examples include Recchi, Brind Amour, and Chelios. All known for their intense work ethic, dedication to conditioning, and desire to win. All significantly less impressive players than they were a few years back. They are all ex-stars who are now role players at best.

Everyone wears down. Kobe Bryant is no exception. As Apollo noted, his playing style has already changed (less explosive, more reliant on teammates), which is fine right now, because he's on a dominant team. But if you put him back on those post-Shaq Laker teams that were entirely reliant on him, I'm not sure you would get the same dominant performances from him at this age.

Kobe is a remarkable athlete, and his work ethic and basketball IQ will keep him in the game longer than most, but he's not immune to aging. He's already past his peak athletically, and his numbers will start to show it soon enough.

Comment

I agree , I dont want to see Bynum come to toronto. He seems like he is a whinner and has a vince carter personality. If noah came it wouild be just what the raptors needed.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
                  Noah would be my first choice. Bynum would be nice, but his health worries me. Either one would make a perfect fit for Andrea. And with Amir hopefully back, and Evans told NOT to shoot (or post up), the Raptors would just have to concentrate on strengthening the Back Court. Add a "true" defensive pick from the draft, move Calderon ['crossing my fingers'], plus give Banks a little more of an opportunity, and I'd expect a play-off round ... even if that's not such a lofty goal.
                  With all the young guns on the team, play-off experience should be the next step. When the Second season comes along, who knows what can happen. Ask LeBronski how he feels. Then ask Montreal or Philly how they feel.
                  Yeah i wish they would have made it this year with Bosh or not, playoff experience in the NBA is HUGE you can rarely create the type of atmosphere and intensity in the regular season. Something so valuable for young players to get a taste of and who knows we could have done allright against a one armed LBJ and a bunch of role players.
                  Last edited by rdiaz101; Mon May 17, 2010, 05:43 PM.
                  "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

Bynum would fit nicely. Noah would become a fan fav. in no time. Raps fan have been wanting someone like him for years. David Lee is overrated. Imagine Turk, Bargs and Lee together. Worst defensive front court in history?

Comment

Working...
                    X