Houston Chronicle: Rockets Will Make Play for Chris Bosh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Chronicle: Rockets Will Make Play for Chris Bosh

They plan to have a parade and a welcoming party which includes Hakeem. It's going to be hard for Bosh to say no to this. The Rockets definitely have a brighter future in terms of talent and cap-space, and are probably a lot further ahead than the Raptors to a championship. Plus, Bosh gets to be the #1 guy there.

LINK

Chris Bosh will open his front door at 12:01 a.m. July 1 and see a smiling Daryl Morey standing between Hakeem Olajuwon and Yao Ming.

How’s that for a first impression?

Morey will have a bag of other goodies, including a video showing off Houston and a testimonial from Rockets season-ticket holder Andre Johnson urging Bosh to join him in Clutch City.

There will be hundreds of Facebook and Twitter posts from fans, a Rockets jersey with Bosh’s name on it and — I almost forgot this teensy-weensy part of the presentation — a contract worth $120 million.

At least, this is how it might go. The Rockets haven’t decided who will accompany Morey to the presentation, but they have spent the last few weeks discussing how best to persuade him.

Here’s guessing Rockets owner Leslie Alexander appeals to Dream and Yao to be part of the recruiting process and that they both agree.

At the heart of the issue is, first, persuading Bosh to play for the Rockets. If they’re able to do that, everything else almost certainly will fall into place. That’s why the Rockets are spending so much time and energy coming up with the right recruiting pitch.

Then down the road when Bosh is all old and washed up, Hakeem can also show him how to get signed by the Raps again and get paid for doing nothing.

Comment

I posted this in the other CB4 thread but it fits better here:
      The Rockets’ No. 1 free-agent target? Sources say it’s still Bosh, who earlier this season said the idea of playing in his hometown of Dallas holds limited appeal … but hasn’t said anything to suggest that he wouldn’t play somewhere else in his home state.

If the Raptors and Bosh reach the expected conclusion that it’s time for an amicable divorce, Houston has amassed an enticing cache of sign-and-trade assets. One source, offering one small example, says that the Raptors are intrigued by young forward Jordan Hill, whom the Rockets extracted from the Knicks in the Tracy McGrady three-way deal in February.

As a (reasonably) big-market team -- with low-key cornerstones like Martin and Aaron Brooks, and a franchise player in Yao Ming who might not be a franchise player any more after being forced to sit out an entire season -- Houston can also offer the stage and go-to guy spotlight Bosh covets.

Yet it’s believed that the Raptors, if Bosh indeed proves willing to join the Rockets via sign-and-trade, will try to foist Hedo Turkoglu on Houston as part of the deal. Would the Rockets be willing to take on Turkoglu’s contract ($43.8 million over the next four years) and surrender, say, Trevor Ariza in return to clinch Bosh’s arrival? The cost of adding Bosh along with Turkoglu would likely be prohibitive for the Rockets, but Toronto certainly figures to try.
      ESPN.com

Comment

The biggest question is: who comes to Toronto in the sign and trade? In that case, it would be the Raptors that have a bit of leverage.

Comment

The Rockets also have one of the best coaches in the league. If they sign Bosh the big question for them is what will they do with Scola. A lot will depend on whether Yao can return and play regular minutes.

If Yao doesn't return at all or as a regular would Bosh play the #5 next to Scola?

If Yao does return would Scola be willing to come in off the bench? Would Adleman try and play him at the #3 or would he be traded?

It will be interesting.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            The biggest question is: who comes to Toronto in the sign and trade? In that case, it would be the Raptors that have a bit of leverage.
            Not really. Bosh goes to Colangelo and says "I'm signing with the Rockets but I'll help you out, let's work the S&T. I win, you win." Colangelo fires back and says "deal" and so he goes off to make his trade. The Rockets don't want to give up what Colangelo wants. He goes back to Chris and says "They're playing hard ball, the deal is off until you can talked them into agreeing to my terms". Bosh goes off and talks to them, they explain why they're not going to give in because Bosh needs a good core and such and such a person is important to that. Bosh goes back to Colangelo and says "you better agree because I'm going there one way or another". What does Colangelo do? Let Bosh walk for nothing or shake hands on the deal he doesn't see as ideal? My money is on the handshake. The Raptors has little leverage. If Bosh wants to be a Rocket and picks them then Colangelo is just going along for the ride.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Not really. Bosh goes to Colangelo and says "I'm signing with the Rockets but I'll help you out, let's work the S&T. I win, you win." Colangelo fires back and says "deal" and so he goes off to make his trade. The Rockets don't want to give up what Colangelo wants. He goes back to Chris and says "They're playing hard ball, the deal is off until you can talked them into agreeing to my terms". Bosh goes off and talks to them, they explain why they're not going to give in because Bosh needs a good core and such and such a person is important to that. Bosh goes back to Colangelo and says "you better agree because I'm going there one way or another". What does Colangelo do? Let Bosh walk for nothing or shake hands on the deal he doesn't see as ideal? My money is on the handshake. The Raptors has little leverage. If Bosh wants to be a Rocket and picks them then Colangelo is just going along for the ride.
              Not necessarily. There's no way that Colangelo will just take garbage. So if the Rockets offered Jeffries, Andersen, and Lowry, you'd just take it for the sake of taking a dealand getting something? I wouldn't. I'd rather the guy walk for nothing than take a crap package.

Comment

We were talking about leverage. I thought you meant Colangelo using leverage to get a great deal. He has no such leverage. No doubt he walks away from something horrible but at the end of the day he doesn't have any real power in forcing a great deal. Look at what the Raptors got for Carter when he wanted out. Look at what the Grizzlies got for Gasol. Look at what the Magic got for T-Mac. Those weren't even S&T's. I think the best we can hope for is an Al Jeff/KG type trade and that wouldn't come via the Rockets.

Comment

Houston doesn't have cap space

Houston can only sign and trade. They don't have the cap space to sign Bosh outright, so the hypothetical situation Apollo outlined is not possible.

If Bosh says, I want to sign with Houston, BC would say, great, I'll what I can do for a S&T. Houston doesn't offer anything of value, so BC says to Bosh, I'm not taking back what they're serving up. What can Bosh do? Bosh can only play for Houston if BC co-operates. Any team that cannot sign Bosh outright will run in to this problem, which does give BC more leverage.

Comment

Forgot the Rockets were capped. Good point. What I'm saying does apply elsewhere though in places like Miami, NYC, New Jersey, etc.

Oh and I forgot one more thing. Welcome to the board!
                    Last edited by Apollo; Mon May 3, 2010, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      We were talking about leverage. I thought you meant Colangelo using leverage to get a great deal. He has no such leverage. No doubt he walks away from something horrible but at the end of the day he doesn't have any real power in forcing a great deal. Look at what the Raptors got for Carter when he wanted out. Look at what the Grizzlies got for Gasol. Look at what the Magic got for T-Mac. Those weren't even S&T's. I think the best we can hope for is an Al Jeff/KG type trade and that wouldn't come via the Rockets.
                      All of those deals were different cirumstances.

In the Carter deal, MLSE was looking to cut funds, so Peddie got involved and signed off on the trade immediately, even though it wasn't good from a basketball standpoint.
                      In terms of the trade for T-Mac, Steve Francis was still an all-star and Mobley was a very solid player. They got a decent deal.
                      In the Grizz-Lakers deal, I think Chris Wallace was out to lunch on that one, but they did manage to get Marc Gasol in the deal. Nevertheless, it was still a very lopsided deal.

If the Rockets aren't going to accomodate a good deal for Chris, I think he moves on. He knows that he's not going to want to gut a future team he's going to play for, but at the same time he's not going to want to leave the Raptors in the dust.

I believe Colangelo lets Bosh walk before he accepts a really inferior deal. If Bosh walks to a team like Miami or Chicago, then Colangelo will address other deals via free agency with the cap space will be created when Bosh leaves and other deals with expirings (Banks, Evans).

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                        In the Carter deal, MLSE was looking to cut funds, so Peddie got involved and signed off on the trade immediately, even though it wasn't good from a basketball standpoint.
                        Actually, the Raptors were looking to get rid of contracts to eventually open up some cap room. I don't recall hearing anything about MLSE wanting to cut funds.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The most I am hoping back in a sign and trade for Bosh is a piece like Jordan Hill. A young player with the potential to become a very good starter. The fact that Hill has been bounced from New York for an expiring contract and now is obviously not in the future plans of Houston, does worry me a little. I wasn't all that big on him before he was drafted, but I think he's got the potential to be a good rotation player.

The only team with enough cap room that I think is attractive enough for Bosh to want to sign with is Chicago, and I have a feeling they'd like to try and sign two free agents this summer, probably Bosh and Joe Johnson. If that's the case, then they'd be more than willing to do a sign and trade. On the other hand, do you really want to help Chicago stack their team?
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
                            Actually, the Raptors were looking to get rid of contracts to eventually open up some cap room. I don't recall hearing anything about MLSE wanting to cut funds.
                            Why do you think Peddie was involved the whole way? When Colangelo was hired, one of the stipulations of his contract was that Peddie would not meddle in the operations.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
                              The most I am hoping back in a sign and trade for Bosh is a piece like Jordan Hill. A young player with the potential to become a very good starter. The fact that Hill has been bounced from New York for an expiring contract and now is obviously not in the future plans of Houston, does worry me a little. I wasn't all that big on him before he was drafted, but I think he's got the potential to be a good rotation player.

The only team with enough cap room that I think is attractive enough for Bosh to want to sign with is Chicago, and I have a feeling they'd like to try and sign two free agents this summer, probably Bosh and Joe Johnson. If that's the case, then they'd be more than willing to do a sign and trade. On the other hand, do you really want to help Chicago stack their team?
                              I'm hoping for an Ariza + Hill + re-upped Scola deal.

I do like Hill a lot. He has a lot of potential. He's shown in limited minutes that he does have a solid offensive game and he's tough in the paint.

The only team that can sign two max players without having to do any S & T's is New York. I think the Knicks will end up with Johnson and perhaps Boozer.

Comment

Working...
                              X