Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE: Time For a Fresh Start? Change Name to Huskies? Sign Our Petition

EDIT: Sign our petition: CLICK HERE TO SIGN

James Cybulski from TSN has a good article this morning and brought up some good points regarding the Raptors and why the MLSE might want to consider changing the name to the Huskies. At least from a marketing stand point. For me, I also think it would be a fresh start for a franchise that in 15 years really hasn't done anything. And considering we stand to lose the face of our franchise this summer, what better time than now.

Thoughts? Would you like to see the team change from the Raptors to the Huskies?

In 15 NBA seasons, the Raptors have been to the playoffs five times. Fans have felt cheated by their former heroes, who couldn't leave town fast enough. There have been more draft day misses than hits and trades haven't really fared much better.

But there was one bright spot this Raptors season: the Huskies. Introducing the past to the present was a brilliant marketing idea. The Huskies were Toronto's pro basketball team in the 40s that folded in 1947. The uniforms were slick and the merchandise was sold.

I understand why they decided to name the franchise the Raptors back in the early 90s. Jurassic Park was all the rage at the box-office and babies were Barney-crazy. But let's face it: dinosaurs aren't cool anymore, unless you're five. Nothing of great substance has come of the Raptors' first 15 seasons, so here's what I suggest...

Change the franchise's name to the Huskies. Do it as soon as possible, too.

Ask any hoops fan that has a vested interest in the Toronto franchise and they'll agree - at least every fan that I've spoken to in recent weeks.

No one rocks a Raptors jersey or cap on the streets, but I've seen a lot of dudes sporting Huskies gear. What NBA free agent says, "I want to be a Raptor!" They're slim and none, unless they get crazy He-dough.

The Huskies represent an acknowledgement of the past, along with far more of a Canadian flair. And if nothing else, Huskies sell.

Don't tell me people would complain. I think it would be overwhelmingly supported if MLSE recognized the switch would do nothing but good.
    Source - Click here
    Raptors
    50.00%
    Huskies
    50.00%

The Raptors name was so incredibly stupid, it was embarrassing. I'd love to know whose idea it was, because it was so incredibly short-sighted and obviously gimmicky, that they should never, ever get a job in marketing ever again. They might as well have called them the Cabbage Patch Kids, or TIckle Me Elmos for all the sense it made. If anyone wants to start a petition, I'd be the first one to sign it.

My only reservation is what do you call the dancers?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
      The Raptors name was so incredibly stupid, it was embarrassing. I'd love to know whose idea it was, because it was so incredibly short-sighted and obviously gimmicky, that they should never, ever get a job in marketing ever again. They might as well have called them the Cabbage Patch Kids, or TIckle Me Elmos for all the sense it made. If anyone wants to start a petition, I'd be the first one to sign it.
      LMAO ... that actually made me laugh. Cheers Tim.

The Bitches? No disrespect. (Husky .... the dog ..... female dogs are referred as ....... bitches)

Comment

I agree with you 100%, though in the name's defence, I believe it was voted upon by the GTA public from a list of possible team names.

I'd also suggest we call them the Rabbits, because they're soft, defenceless, but know how to score.

Comment

If anyone wants to start a petition, I'd be the first one to sign it.
          Not that it will do anything, but I just created an online petition for "shits & giggles". Let's see what we can do with this.

BRING BACK THE HUSKIES.

Link: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/torontohuskies2010/

Comment

There is a group dedicated to bringing back the Huskies: http://torontohuskies.org/

Comment

Raptors, Huskies, I don't really care. They should spend more time and resources on building a good team in my personal option. A roll of toilet paper is still a roll of toilet paper even if you re-name it and put it in a new package.

Comment

Raptomist wrote: View Post
                There is a group dedicated to bringing back the Huskies: http://torontohuskies.org/
                Yup, but it looks like they gave up in 2009.

It's a long off season, so killing time in creating an online petition can't hurt.

Comment

I heard the NBA didn't want the Raptors to pick the Huskies when they were considering names because the logo would look too much like the Timberwolves.

I say that the Huskies name does sound better then the Raptors and if they don't want a logo of a husky dog because it looks too much like a wolf, how about a logo of a husky looking man instead?!

Comment

The Huskies jersey is a very nice jersey
                    only problem i have with it, is how small the number is on the back and front
                    I dont know if i would support a real name change, but i wouldnt really be against it

Comment

I very much prefer the Raptors monicker.

"Don't scrap the Raps!"
                      RR OG

Comment

I suggested changing the name to the Na'avi. Hey, if you're going to sell out, at least update!
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Really? A name change?
                          Someone on Cybulski's post commented how if we changed the name "Toronto" to "Miami Beach", it wouldn't really bring warm weather.
                          I thought it was perfect.

If the Raptors were a contender, this wouldn't be a topic of discussion.

If you really dissect team names, the Lakers for instance would be such a stupid name.
                          It means either a guy who goes to lakes, a type of fish, or a type of boat (or i don't eve know what it means).
                          But I don't see their fans knocking their team name.
                          You know why?
                          Because their legacy makes it great.

Focus on building a contending team.
                          Not superficial touch-ups.

This should be a petition to MLSE on building a contender.
                          That, i'll sign.

Comment

How bout Toronto Beavers, pay homage to our national animal?

Comment

Stop living in the past and join the Coalition to Keep the Toronto Raptors!

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727
                              RR OG

Comment

Working...
                              X