Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-Defense Player of the Year: Hedo Turkoglu

No argument here.

* No-Defense Player of the Year: Hedo Turkoglu, Toronto. Welcome to the instigator of this year’s Eyeball Test theme.

This season, I watched three or four Toronto games, almost from beginning to end. And each time that I saw a heavy, lead-footed, non-rotating large man dressed in a Raptors jersey, I thought, “When did Swen Nater get traded to Toronto and why is he playing at age 60?”

Oh, wait, that wasn’t Nater.

That was Turkoglu, who used to be a decent defensive player. And yet each time I saw him this year–his first in Toronto–I thought he was decidedly slower and more disinterested even than Andrea Bargnani, and that is saying something.

Turkoglu’s periphals aren’t good–Toronto gave up 116.1 points per 100 possessions when he played, and 111.9 when he didnt–but Bargnani’s are worse.

Still Turkoglu, to my eyes, was the foundation and personification of the Raptors’ defensive listness this season. He waddled around out there, let dribblers through, didn’t contest, stopped dead when he met a screen, didn’t get back in transition… he was awful.

The Raps have been bad on D for a while. It’s just that I thought Toronto stopped trying about mid-season, and my eyeballs tell me that Turkoglu was at the heart of that.

Plus, I made up my mind early on that, to honor the Raptors or Warriors’ season-long defensive surrender, the 2010 NDPOY had to come from one of those two rosters

Congratulations, Hedo.
    Source - Click here

It could really have been our whole roster to be honest. Surprised not to see Calderón there.

Comment

No defense player of the year, but not even the worst defender on his own team. Turk is no worse than Melo defensively..

Comment

Yeah, he is pretty bad. The worst part isn't that it's because he doesn't "get it", it's that his effort wasn't there all season. That's the only thing that is excusable about Jose's defense, sure PGs blow by him all the time, but at least he tries to stick to them, he's just not quick enough. Hedo's a different story, at his size he should be a decent SF defender just by laying off and using his reach to contest shots.

I'm telling ya, that whole training camp fatigue fiasco hurt him and the Raptors big time.

Comment

CB4 wrote: View Post
          It could really have been our whole roster to be honest.
          Sorry I don't agree with this at all.

There were a couple of guys who played good solid all around defense.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            Yeah, he is pretty bad. The worst part isn't that it's because he doesn't "get it", it's that his effort wasn't there all season............. Hedo's a different story, at his size he should be a decent SF defender just by laying off and using his reach to contest shots.

I'm telling ya, that whole training camp fatigue fiasco hurt him and the Raptors big time.
            +1
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I have to be honest, I never liked Hedo personality. Hedo may be a good basketball player but something is wrong in his head. This past season, he did everything to prove that he is not worth trusting. I really hope Hedo will prove me wrong next season if he still sticks around, which is pretty much the same hope I had last summer. On floor, he looked just like he looked in his Pizza-Pizza commercial: he didn't give a shit about anything other than his paycheck.

Comment

Working...
              X