Arenas to Raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arenas to Raps

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I wasn't sure at first, but I'm beginning to like it...

With the Wizards obviously in total rebuilding mode (already dumped Jamison/Haywood/Butler), Agent Zero doesn't figure to be part of their long-term plans in any way, shape, or form.

My proposal is sending Hedo and Jose to Washington for Arenas.

(Keep in mind that the salaries match up almost evenly, so there's not much to be gained or lost in that department.)

Rationale for Washington:
    1. Gets rid of Arenas, who obviously does not fit into what they're trying to do AT ALL.
    2. Acquires two assets that are more "tradeable" than one Agent Zero. (that's not saying much, but hey...)
    3. At the very least, they get two decent offensive players for a very offensively-challenged roster.

Rationale for Toronto:
    1a. It might be enough to convince Bosh to stay. (even though it seems that some people want him gone anyway...)
    1b. If CB does bolt, we will need someone who can create his own offence and occasionally attract double teams.
    2. Acquiring Arenas might make Jarrett Jack expendable, and his market value could be enough to add some nice wing or frontcourt depth, or just to clear cap space.
    3. Despite the injuries and the gun incident, Arenas still has star potential at the age of 28. It's easy to forget that he was a Top 5 player in the league only 3 years ago. HIBACHI!

ESPN Trade Machine link for the heck of it: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yjbl4tu

So, feel free to "shoot" me down over this...(sorry )
    I'm just curious as to what the general reaction will be.

Arenas might cause Bosh to leave, if he had any notion of re-signing. Arenas is an awful player to bring into Toronto. If Bosh does leave, then what exactly would Arenas bring, except a player with a massive contract and lots of baggage. He's not going to help the Raptors get anywhere, so like the Amare trade, what's the point? He's not the type of guy you want to have influence with the younger players, he's going to be impossible to unload if he doesn't regain his form, and if he does, the only thing he's going to do is prevent the Raptors from finishing in the lottery, where they might finally have a chance at a top flight player.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I agree that he'd be impossible to unload if he doesn't regain his form, but at his current value, I think the risk would be worth taking. He'd already be an upgrade over Jose at both ends of the floor IMO, and Turk is starting to drag his own baggage around anyway, so I'm not sure we lose a whole lot even if he flubs.

The point would be to get a proven perimeter player that can take a chunk of the scoring load left behind by Bosh, thus not heaping it onto some of our younger guys like DeRozan and Weems.

Besides, we're not going anywhere with a Big 3 of Bargs, Turk, and Jose anyway, so why not gamble on a guy like Arenas who's been a 28+ PPG scorer before? Can you honestly say that Turk is that much better of an influence on younger players? At least Gilbert doesn't look like he's falling asleep on the court...

Comment

This is a horrible trade. Arenas did not look good in his most recen comeback, and is contract is absolutely brutal. Arenas may add more scoring, but is a complete liability on defence. Hedo and Jose are going to be relatively difficult to move, but I certainly hope that BC can get a little more than Arenas in return.

Comment

Worst contract in the league for two of the worst........I make this trade, Gilbert is entertaining, but a Gilbert/Bosh combo is going to kill you in a few years and in the present term likely won't win anything.

Does Wash do this trade? Not sure, they want to dump Gilbert and can't expect any good value, but your getting two older players making way too much money who have proven they can't play together.

If this trade happened, you need to keep Jack as Gilbert insurance and start 3 defensive players who don't mind never touching the ball.

Comment

Again, what is the point of replacing Bosh's scoring? Are the Raptors aiming for the playoffs if Bosh leaves, because that would be pretty stupid. They need to rebuild, not do patchwork trades to keep their head above water.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

If Kobe is having trouble controlling Artest and keeping him in line, I seriously doubt that anyone on the Raptors current roster could keep "The Gunslinger" in line

With all due respect "Bad idea man, just a bad idea, straight up"
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

As much as i dislike Turk
                and as much as i think Calderon should be the PG to go

Id rather eat that salary than have an idiot like Arenas on the team. He has talent, but hes a hog, bad locker room guy, and again hes an idiot

Comment

In general it makes sense. If Washington is going to take Hedo Turkoglu for Arenas then the Raptors should absolutely go for this trade; It's worth the gamble;
                  However, for this to make any sense for Washington it would modify the trade to this:

To Washington: Turkoglu + Jack + Banks + 13th First Round Pick
                  To Toronto: Arenas + Thornton

If Toronto is trading Turkoglu then they will need another SF;
                  Jack is simply cheaper than Calderon; and Washington still gets to save around 15 millions in salaries over 4 years.

Ideally, Calderon then could be included in
                  another trade for a cheaper PG.

Comment

The Raptors got three young gunz, hopefully keep Johnson and add another in the draft. I don't think they need an aging oft injured middle aged gunslinger.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=29tbq2y

THIS IS A MONSTER TRADE INVLOVING NUGGETS, PISTONS, AND RAPTORS

Comment

I understand what y'all are saying, but is Arenas really as bad a locker room guy as we're making him out to be? OK, he was a knucklehead to bring unlicensed guns into a locker room and pretend to shoot people, but we know he's not gonna do that again... I don't recall him ever having issues with coaches or teammates. IMO he's a pretty good leader on the floor and a respected player league-wide.

As far as his defence is concerned, it may not be great, but we're already one of the worst defensive teams in NBA history. At least he creates turnovers (1.7 SPG career), something the current roster is completely inept at doing.

Before he was suspended this year, he was actually almost back to his previous form (22.6 PPG, 4.2 RPG, career high 7.2 APG). He lit up the Raps for 34, and the Warriors for 45, so we know he can still ball...

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
                          I've been thinking about this for a while now. I wasn't sure at first, but I'm beginning to like it...

With the Wizards obviously in total rebuilding mode (already dumped Jamison/Haywood/Butler), Agent Zero doesn't figure to be part of their long-term plans in any way, shape, or form.

My proposal is sending Hedo and Jose to Washington for Arenas.

(Keep in mind that the salaries match up almost evenly, so there's not much to be gained or lost in that department.)

Rationale for Washington:
                          1. Gets rid of Arenas, who obviously does not fit into what they're trying to do AT ALL.
                          2. Acquires two assets that are more "tradeable" than one Agent Zero. (that's not saying much, but hey...)
                          3. At the very least, they get two decent offensive players for a very offensively-challenged roster.

Rationale for Toronto:
                          1a. It might be enough to convince Bosh to stay. (even though it seems that some people want him gone anyway...)
                          1b. If CB does bolt, we will need someone who can create his own offence and occasionally attract double teams.
                          2. Acquiring Arenas might make Jarrett Jack expendable, and his market value could be enough to add some nice wing or frontcourt depth, or just to clear cap space.
                          3. Despite the injuries and the gun incident, Arenas still has star potential at the age of 28. It's easy to forget that he was a Top 5 player in the league only 3 years ago. HIBACHI!

ESPN Trade Machine link for the heck of it: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yjbl4tu

So, feel free to "shoot" me down over this...(sorry )
                          I'm just curious as to what the general reaction will be.
                          i'm with you, and don't worry about getting shot because i want to bring t-mac back to t-dot so were both inclined to be murdered. lol
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

So if the Raptors make this trade and Bosh stays, that would give them 2 players who score roughly 20+ ppg with suspect defense (along with suspect knees) for max money. I don't think that's going to make them contenders any time soon.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I understand Arenas isn't necessarily the strongest locker room presence, but we wouldn't be trading away Kevin Garnett here. Turkoglu has his own attitude issues, and Gilbert is a SIGNIFICANTLY better player.

Gil can drop 25 a game by creating opportunities for himself. No current Raptor (assuming Bosh is gone) has ever even been a #1 offensive option before, let alone been an elite scorer.

If the rationale against this trade is that he won't make us a contender anyway, and you'd rather throw the next couple years and build through lottery picks, then I can understand that. But that trade would absolutely make the Raptors a better basketball team.

Comment

Working...
                              X