Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MLSE Responds to Raptors Name Change Idea

Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How many "Harry Potter" "wizards" are there in Washington?!? (Exactly)

LONG LIVE THE RAPTORS!

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    How many "Harry Potter" "wizards" are there in Washington?!? (Exactly)

LONG LIVE THE RAPTORS!
    So you're pointing to another really stupid team name as a reason why the Raptors team name isn't stupid?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the original reason was stupid, but it's a good name for other reasons. After a while, the trivia becomes trivial and the fact that it's a good name is all that's left. The next generation of raptors fans won't even know about Jurassic Park, but they will know that a vicious pack hunter is their icon and not a W wearing a wizard hat or a non descript basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    So you're pointing to another really stupid team name as a reason why the Raptors team name isn't stupid?
    I'm pointing to the fact that very few sport team names have any relevance to their city. The Wizards being one of the many.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Darien wrote: View Post
    Maybe the original reason was stupid, but it's a good name for other reasons. After a while, the trivia becomes trivial and the fact that it's a good name is all that's left. The next generation of raptors fans won't even know about Jurassic Park, but they will know that a vicious pack hunter is their icon and not a W wearing a wizard hat or a non descript basketball.
    Where's Jurassic Park? Is that were Jurassic 5 met or something? What does the Park have to do with the Raps? Is it because J5 are a "Rap" group?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    No. Naming an NBA franchise after a popular movie at the time is stupid. Changing it to something more timeless just makes sense. I'd go for something else, but the Huskies name is out there already, so it makes more sense than just making up a new one.
    Ok..? first off, be honest did you like the huskie jerseys this year? they were a joke.

Second, you missed my whole point, its hard to design a logo of a wolf without stealing Minnesota's thunder..

Third, whats so bad about the raptors? Its not the barney on the jerseys anymore, its a claw and a basketball? and if you wanna talk silly names, Lakers??? Does that have any connection to SoCal?(i know it came from minneapolis but still.) How many Cavaliers do you see in cleveland? Were there ever Argonauts in Toronto? Its a sports name, it doesn't need historical significance regarding the city. GO RAPS GO

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ark23 wrote: View Post
    Ok..? first off, be honest did you like the huskie jerseys this year? they were a joke.

Second, you missed my whole point, its hard to design a logo of a wolf without stealing Minnesota's thunder..

Third, whats so bad about the raptors? Its not the barney on the jerseys anymore, its a claw and a basketball? and if you wanna talk silly names, Lakers??? Does that have any connection to SoCal?(i know it came from minneapolis but still.) How many Cavaliers do you see in cleveland? Were there ever Argonauts in Toronto? Its a sports name, it doesn't need historical significance regarding the city. GO RAPS GO
    Just to point out, a Husky is a domesticated dog. A wolf is well, a wolf. Same family but quite different really.

There are a few bird monikers in baseball: Blue Jays, Cardinals, Orioles. I don't think it really matters if they are similar, the logos and colors are what differentiate them.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

It's bad enough we have a team of softies, we have to a brand name like "Huskies"? I guarantee you we will the be a laughing stock of the league just like the clip show.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information