Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: MLSE Responds to Raptors Name Change Idea

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How many "Harry Potter" "wizards" are there in Washington?!? (Exactly)

    LONG LIVE THE RAPTORS!

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    How many "Harry Potter" "wizards" are there in Washington?!? (Exactly)

    LONG LIVE THE RAPTORS!
    So you're pointing to another really stupid team name as a reason why the Raptors team name isn't stupid?

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe the original reason was stupid, but it's a good name for other reasons. After a while, the trivia becomes trivial and the fact that it's a good name is all that's left. The next generation of raptors fans won't even know about Jurassic Park, but they will know that a vicious pack hunter is their icon and not a W wearing a wizard hat or a non descript basketball.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    So you're pointing to another really stupid team name as a reason why the Raptors team name isn't stupid?
    I'm pointing to the fact that very few sport team names have any relevance to their city. The Wizards being one of the many.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    839
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Darien wrote: View Post
    Maybe the original reason was stupid, but it's a good name for other reasons. After a while, the trivia becomes trivial and the fact that it's a good name is all that's left. The next generation of raptors fans won't even know about Jurassic Park, but they will know that a vicious pack hunter is their icon and not a W wearing a wizard hat or a non descript basketball.
    Where's Jurassic Park? Is that were Jurassic 5 met or something? What does the Park have to do with the Raps? Is it because J5 are a "Rap" group?

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Rookie Ark23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    No. Naming an NBA franchise after a popular movie at the time is stupid. Changing it to something more timeless just makes sense. I'd go for something else, but the Huskies name is out there already, so it makes more sense than just making up a new one.
    Ok..? first off, be honest did you like the huskie jerseys this year? they were a joke.

    Second, you missed my whole point, its hard to design a logo of a wolf without stealing Minnesota's thunder..

    Third, whats so bad about the raptors? Its not the barney on the jerseys anymore, its a claw and a basketball? and if you wanna talk silly names, Lakers??? Does that have any connection to SoCal?(i know it came from minneapolis but still.) How many Cavaliers do you see in cleveland? Were there ever Argonauts in Toronto? Its a sports name, it doesn't need historical significance regarding the city. GO RAPS GO

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ark23 wrote: View Post
    Ok..? first off, be honest did you like the huskie jerseys this year? they were a joke.

    Second, you missed my whole point, its hard to design a logo of a wolf without stealing Minnesota's thunder..

    Third, whats so bad about the raptors? Its not the barney on the jerseys anymore, its a claw and a basketball? and if you wanna talk silly names, Lakers??? Does that have any connection to SoCal?(i know it came from minneapolis but still.) How many Cavaliers do you see in cleveland? Were there ever Argonauts in Toronto? Its a sports name, it doesn't need historical significance regarding the city. GO RAPS GO
    Just to point out, a Husky is a domesticated dog. A wolf is well, a wolf. Same family but quite different really.

    There are a few bird monikers in baseball: Blue Jays, Cardinals, Orioles. I don't think it really matters if they are similar, the logos and colors are what differentiate them.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's bad enough we have a team of softies, we have to a brand name like "Huskies"? I guarantee you we will the be a laughing stock of the league just like the clip show.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •