Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Feels the Raptors Could Attract a High Profile FA

If there's a will there's a way right?

Q: Doug why is there no talk about the Raps offering a contract to a high profile free agent and then working out a sign and trade with their team. The Raps have expiring contracts of Marcus Banks (5 million), Reggie Evans (5 million) to offer plus another piece of the roster. This should be enough to get another player assuming the player wants to come to Toronto (obviously resigning Bosh would go along with it). I think Colangelo coming out publicly stating that he is looking at a premier free agent might help attract some attention from some players and help in the re-signing Bosh.

Brian M, Barrie

A: I can guarantee you Bryan will try something exactly like you propose. Finding a willing trade partner will be the trick in the whole situation.

And Bryan has said he wants to improve the roster any way he can, which is a pretty big signal to the rest of the league; and a point he’s undoubtedly made privately in discussions with other GMs.
    Source - Click here

I could see Colangelo perhaps making a run at Childress. Would he count as a high profile FA? What about La Bomba Navarro?

Comment

This notion that the Raptors (or anyone) can use expiring contracts in a sign and trade is ridiculous, especially this summer. First of all, why would a team take back $10 million in salaries, and two players who would see very little playing time, in order to help their free agent go to another team? Wouldn't it simply make a lot more sense to let them go and not have to pay anyone useless next season? The only thing teams are going to be interested in in sign and trades are players who they feel will either be able to contribute right away, or in the future. No way they'd want to take up roster space and cap space they could spend on more useful players.

And before anyone says that expiring contracts will be valuable at the trading deadline for teams wanting to save money, read this.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think bottomline is, BC has his work cut out for him, since it will be extremely difficult to find a scoring, playmaking, defending SG/SF to sign with a currently mediocre team. I dont think there's even one available in the market. Coz thats essentially what the team needs, specially if Bosh re-signs.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          This notion that the Raptors (or anyone) can use expiring contracts in a sign and trade is ridiculous, especially this summer. First of all, why would a team take back $10 million in salaries, and two players who would see very little playing time, in order to help their free agent go to another team? Wouldn't it simply make a lot more sense to let them go and not have to pay anyone useless next season? The only thing teams are going to be interested in in sign and trades are players who they feel will either be able to contribute right away, or in the future. No way they'd want to take up roster space and cap space they could spend on more useful players.

And before anyone says that expiring contracts will be valuable at the trading deadline for teams wanting to save money, read this.
          ive always said that trades not equal in value are ridiculous and should never even be proposed, but the thing is, historically, trades for All-Star caliber players have been lopsided. VC, Gasol, Garnett, jamison, butler....we probably wont be able to get equal value for Bosh, but BC should get more for our expiring contracts.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            I could see Colangelo perhaps making a run at Childress. Would he count as a high profile FA? What about La Bomba Navarro?
            Last I heard Childress is leaning toward playing at least one more year, the last year on his current contract, in Greece. Of course with their loss in the Euro league championships that could change.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              Last I heard Childress is leaning toward playing at least one more year, the last year on his current contract, in Greece. Of course with their loss in the Euro league championships that could change.
              I dont think Childress will be much of a help with the Raps.
              The hawks not signing him to a multi-year deal last year just gives me a little doubt on his capabilities as an NBA player.

Comment

His abilities had nothing to do with it. He wanted a pay day and the NBA teams weren't willing to match Europe. Isn't he making like $10M/yr over there? Childress was a very good role player in the NBA and if he comes back he will make an impact on some team.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  i'm sorry josh childress? navarro?

there's no way your being serious so , you must be being sarcastic.

if mlse will go deep into cap, then there is a good chance getting another high profile player or at least an underrated one.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

pppp plug plug!
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      i'm sorry josh childress? navarro?

there's no way your being serious so , you must be being sarcastic.

if mlse will go deep into cap, then there is a good chance getting another high profile player or at least an underrated one.
                      Childress is the kind of glue guy a team needs to win games. His defense and effort are better than most on the Raptors. If he were brought in with part of the MLE I think it would be a very good signing. Not sure if he wants to give up all those Euros to come back or not. I think someone mentioned he's reviewing the idea of staying longer. I think Navarro is done with the NBA. From what I read he did not enjoy his experience in North America.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Childress is the kind of glue guy a team needs to win games. His defense and effort are better than most on the Raptors. If he were brought in with part of the MLE I think it would be a very good signing. Not sure if he wants to give up all those Euros to come back or not. I think someone mentioned he's reviewing the idea of staying longer. I think Navarro is done with the NBA. From what I read he did not enjoy his experience in North America.
                        +1
                        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Not sure if he wants to give up all those Euros to come back or not. I think someone mentioned he's reviewing the idea of staying longer.
                          Lets not forget that Childress is playing for a greek team who's country's economy is a complete mess teetering on a brink of disaster. This means that there is a great uncertainty in the near future that will probably greatly affect sport teams and the amount of money they could spend on players (many will have to tighten their belt). Will Childress be willing to risk the potential of not being paid fully just like what happened with Delfino in Russia?

Plus he is playing on the same team with our draft pick (printer something) so lets bring both of them here
                          Last edited by Hotshot; Mon May 10, 2010, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                            Lets not forget that Childress is playing for a greek team who's country's economy is a complete mess teetering on a brink of disaster. This means that there is a great uncertainty in the near future that will probably greatly affect sport teams and the amount of money they could spend on players (many will have to tighten their belt). Will Childress be willing to risk the potential of not being paid fully just like what happened with Delfino in Russia?

Plus he is playing on the same team with our draft pick (printer something) so lets bring both of them here

Panagiotis Angelopoulos (alternate spellings: Panayiotis Aggelopoulos, Panagiotis Aggelopoulos, Panayiotis Angelopoulos) (Greek: Παναγιώτης Αγγελόπουλος) is a Greek businessman and a shipping and steel magnate. He is also the co-owner of the professional Greek League and Euroleague basketball team Olympiacos, along with his brother Giorgos.[1] Panagiotis Angelopoulos has an estimated wealth of US$1.7 billion. His brother Giorgos Angelopoulos has an estimated wealth of US$1.4 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panagiotis_Angelopoulos

My guess is that they are hedging the financial and economic situation over in Greece. Then again they may not be
                            Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue May 11, 2010, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Greece is getting a huge bailout from the EU very soon. They've assembled a $1T fund to try and put the fire out.

Comment

Working...
                              X