Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bosh Requested a All-Star Wing to Stay

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bosh Requested a All-Star Wing to Stay

This was recently reported in Bleacher Report:

In order for the Toronto Raptors to retain Chris Bosh’s services he has requested that Bryan Colangelo and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment do two main things this offseason: (1) spend in excess of the luxury-tax threshold, and (2) figure out a way to bring in an all-star caliber wing player.

Is it true that Bosh requested this to stay?

Post Thanks / Like

You need to post the source of your quote. Please provide the URL.

Those two items seem like fairly obvious choices. He wants them to basically use the full MLE, be willing to take on big contracts if need be and work a deal for a star SG. Not an easy task... Sounds like something that may require Bargnani's involvement to work. Just a thought... I'm sure Bosh would like to see a guy like Amir Johnson re-signed.

Oh, here's a question. What wings do you think he has in mind? JJ?

Post Thanks / Like

Mayo would be a player they could afford with their assets and come out of it looking better. The Grizz tried to move him for Ellis. Ellis would be a good option too but both these guys are undersized... Maybe they could land Rudy Gay via a S&T?

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is nothing new Apollo. Doug Smith reported this a couple weeks back regarding Bosh's request for an all-star SG who can create on offense. I don't have the link right now, but I'll check back through Doug's archives and see if I can find it.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounded familiar but I thought I dreamed it or something. Damn my self doubt! And damn my boring dreams!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudy Gay via S&T is interesting. He probably wants the max and isn't worth it at all, but if you keep Bosh and send Jose and number 13 pick for him, that's better than Memphis just letting him walk right?

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is old news and in my opinion like I have written about before it shows that Bosh has his priorities wrong on how to win in the NBA.

The Raptors don't need to add an all-star. There are no current players in the NBA who are considered all-stars that don't score. Even Howard scores though his main value is in his defense, including rebounding.

The Raptors score plenty. They don't need more scorers unless Bosh wants to get Max money for doing less

Bosh should commit to playing better defense and lead by example. He should be asking the Raptors to bring in players that will upgrade the team defense, not some guy who can score and probably play mediocre defense. The all-stars that score and play defense are far and few in between and most of them are either Max Contract players or close to it.

Like I said why would Bosh want someone else who can score? Maybe so he can remove the pressure of being a team leader. Max contract for the too oft injured Bosh, what a joke.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    Rudy Gay via S&T is interesting. He probably wants the max and isn't worth it at all, but if you keep Bosh and send Jose and number 13 pick for him, that's better than Memphis just letting him walk right?
    Gay has a qualifying offer of $4.4M. I think you should expect something like Aldridge's deal. That's $65M over five years.

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    This is old news and in my opinion like I have written about before it shows that Bosh has his priorities wrong on how to win in the NBA.
    NBA trends would suggest otherwise. Typically champions have a dominate big man and a dominate guard.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have the link to the original article?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Since this is old news, why are people making such a huge deal about Bosh staying or going? If the options have been presented to Colangelo, then its Colangelo's move, not Bosh's decision.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors don't need to add an all-star. There are no current players in the NBA who are considered all-stars that don't score. Even Howard scores though his main value is in his defense, including rebounding.

The Raptors score plenty. They don't need more scorers unless Bosh wants to get Max money for doing less

Bosh should commit to playing better defense and lead by example. He should be asking the Raptors to bring in players that will upgrade the team defense, not some guy who can score and probably play mediocre defense. The all-stars that score and play defense are far and few in between and most of them are either Max Contract players or close to it.

Like I said why would Bosh want someone else who can score? Maybe so he can remove the pressure of being a team leader. Max contract for the too oft injured Bosh, what a joke.
    sorry buddha, but at this day and age, to at least make the playoffs, you need at least 2 all-stars, and to make the finals, you need at least 3 or even 4. Such as the case with the lakers (kobe, pau, artest, odom) orlando (howard, jameer, VC, lewis) cavs (shaq, jamison, williams, LBJ) celtics (KG, pierce, rondo, allen, wallace, finley) suns (hill, nash, amare, richardson) and even the recently eliminated spurs (duncan, jefferson, parker, mcdyess). I actually admire Bosh for asking for an all-star caliber player to play alongside him, it just shows he is at the stage in his career where he is dead serious on winning, unlike 2-3 years ago, he didnt mind much losing, as long as he can put up numbers.

the sad thing is i dont think Turk, Bosh and Jose play well together, so if Bosh leaves, then we will be able to see what Turk is capable of, but if Bosh stays, then it will probably be the same result as this season coz Turk aint going anywhere with the fat contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    sorry buddha, but at this day and age, to at least make the playoffs, you need at least 2 all-stars, and to make the finals, you need at least 3 or even 4.
    I think things are watered down when compared to the past. I would say at least two stars, not all-stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Richard Hamilton or Tayshawn Prince or both would be a huge upgrade for the Raptors. To get both we're probably looking at Bargnani and/or DeRozan, expiring contracts and/or 1st rounders. However, a lineup of a solid center signed with the MLE, Bosh, Prince, Hamilton and Jack would look very good.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry buddha, but at this day and age, to at least make the playoffs, you need at least 2 all-stars, and to make the finals, you need at least 3 or even 4.
    It is precisely so. In fact, a team full of good players and scrubs cannot hope to do better than Charlotte did this year. To win in the NBA, you need 3 or 4 stars and the other guys can be one of the roughly 300 scrubs this league has in it now. The trouble with the Raps is, you've got one star, 3 or 4 average players, and a whole bunch of offensive-oriented scrubs. Granted, the club needs more defensive players and long-range shooters. But at least one ball-handling star is a must.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    It is precisely so. In fact, a team full of good players and scrubs cannot hope to do better than Charlotte did this year. To win in the NBA, you need 3 or 4 stars and the other guys can be one of the roughly 300 scrubs this league has in it now. The trouble with the Raps is, you've got one star, 3 or 4 average players, and a whole bunch of offensive-oriented scrubs. Granted, the club needs more defensive players and long-range shooters. But at least one ball-handling star is a must.
    It used to be that you needed at least one MVP calibre player and, at least, two other All-Stars to win. The 80's Pistons had probably the worst best player on a Championship team, to that point, in Isiah, but he still had 3 All-NBA First team appearances. Then expansion came, and Houston became the first team, that I can think of, that won a Championship with only one All-Star. The '04 Pistons were the first team to win without a legit MVP calibre player. I think the talent level is rising again, though. I think more and more you need more talent. Now, I don't think you can win without an MVP-calibre player, and, at least, a couple of All-Star calibre players.

Obviously, the more talented your best player is, the less talent you need around him. LeBron can do better with a team of less than, say, Dwight Howard can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    NBA trends would suggest otherwise. Typically champions have a dominate big man and a dominate guard.
    I don't believe that a wing player is a "big"

Look if the Raptors dumped Bargnani and replace him with K. Perkins and dumped Calderon and replaced him with CP3 or Rondo then I would agree with what Bosh wants.

But adding another big time scorer to the current Raptors roster which can't play any defense isn't gong to get the Raptors very far in the playoffs.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    sorry buddha, but at this day and age, to at least make the playoffs, you need at least 2 all-stars, and to make the finals, you need at least 3 or even 4. Such as the case with the lakers (kobe, pau, artest, odom) orlando (howard, jameer, VC, lewis) cavs (shaq, jamison, williams, LBJ) celtics (KG, pierce, rondo, allen, wallace, finley) suns (hill, nash, amare, richardson) and even the recently eliminated spurs (duncan, jefferson, parker, mcdyess). I actually admire Bosh for asking for an all-star caliber player to play alongside him, it just shows he is at the stage in his career where he is dead serious on winning, unlike 2-3 years ago, he didnt mind much losing, as long as he can put up numbers.

the sad thing is i dont think Turk, Bosh and Jose play well together, so if Bosh leaves, then we will be able to see what Turk is capable of, but if Bosh stays, then it will probably be the same result as this season coz Turk aint going anywhere with the fat contract.
    I don't disagree with that but adding another big time scorer is not going to solve the Raptors problems on defense which are astronomical.

You don't win in the NBA without defense, straight up.

Fix the problems on defense first and then see what you got before adding another scorer who probably won't be able to stop his opponent from scoring given the Raptors penchant for having scorers who can't defend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    It used to be that you needed at least one MVP calibre player and, at least, two other All-Stars to win. The 80's Pistons had probably the worst best player on a Championship team, to that point, in Isiah, but he still had 3 All-NBA First team appearances. Then expansion came, and Houston became the first team, that I can think of, that won a Championship with only one All-Star. The '04 Pistons were the first team to win without a legit MVP calibre player. I think the talent level is rising again, though. I think more and more you need more talent. Now, I don't think you can win without an MVP-calibre player, and, at least, a couple of All-Star calibre players.

Obviously, the more talented your best player is, the less talent you need around him. LeBron can do better with a team of less than, say, Dwight Howard can.
    I will debate you about what you said about the two Pistons teams that won titles but not on the forum only if you send me a private email and then we can have at it gladly

Raptors Republic Rookie Mr.Grinch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard bosh say something like that at the press conference

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information