Thread: Eric Smith Feels Raptors Will Move Jose & Not Jack

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eric Smith Feels Raptors Will Move Jose & Not Jack

No new revelations here, but just Eric's two cents on who he thinks stays and goes at the PG spot.

For what its worth, I hope he's right.

Q. All signs point to the Raptors moving one of their point guards before next season. Who will it be; the guy that makes less money and plays better D or the guy that has a smoother jumper and runs the offence better?

A. As much as I might like the guy personally, I think the Raptors might try to move Calderon because of the mere fact that he makes more money than Jack and Toronto could probably create a little more financial wiggle room via his departure (if that’s the case).
    Source - Click here

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's Calderon and not Jack. I'm tired of seeing this on the floor:

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's Jack. I don't like trying to play a backup as a starter.

Raptors Republic Rookie TM Williamson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We're talking about two similarly productive players that play the same position, one of whom makes significantly more money than the other. We're also talking about a team who is likely about to lose its best player and will still have very little money to spend. The Raptors are in a tough spot financially at the moment, so they need to make an effort to move any of their bigger contracts (ie Turk or Calderon, considering Bargnani seems to be locked in) So obviously the Raptors "might try to move Calderon", because moving Jack offers much less of the financial relief they so desperately need.

The question isn't if they will try to move him, it's if any team will be willing to give up anything of value for a point guard that makes $9 million and has barely been starter quality since signing that deal.

From a non-financial perspective, if the Raptors lose Bosh, they're going to have to lean on Bargs, Turk, and whoever the point guard is to create the majority of their offense. To me, Jack is the better option there, as he is more aggressive, and seems to create for himself and others off the dribble more effectively than Calderon. Plus I think everyone agrees that this team needs to further commit itself on the defensive end, and while Jack may not have been the defender we were hoping for, he's certainly ahead of Calderon on that end.

Raptors Republic Rookie A00715890's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I hope it's Calderon and not Jack. I'm tired of seeing this on the floor:
    i dont get it (the picture)..

but i agree jack>calderon

Post Thanks / Like

That picture is a representation of Calderon on defense.

Raptors Republic Rookie CalibreMC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

revolving door on defense=calderon.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet I could blow by Jose before you get through the revolving door, those can be tough. I would have picked a screen door without the screen.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bosh leaves, Calderon is going to be rendered useless, as all he does anyways is bring down the ball and look to pass to Bosh. When Bosh is not in the game, he shoots 3s. Id rather have Jack who is more active, can create opportunities with his dribble penetration, plus he's more pushy which is what the raps need in a floor leader.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

calderon > jack. bipolar point guards are no good, you will all see it

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    If Bosh leaves, Calderon is going to be rendered useless, as all he does anyways is bring down the ball and look to pass to Bosh. When Bosh is not in the game, he shoots 3s. Id rather have Jack who is more active, can create opportunities with his dribble penetration, plus he's more pushy which is what the raps need in a floor leader.
    Well, I guess if you don't include the time that Calderon was coming off the bench and started to have a really good on court report with Amir Johnson.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to argue that Jose has a "smoother" jumper, at least based on last year...

Jose -- 0.482 FG%, 0.398 3P%
    Jarrett -- 0.481 FG%, 0.412 3P%

IMO the only thing Jose has on Jarrett is passing/avoiding turnovers.
    Last edited by jrdyck; Wed May 12th, 2010 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jrdyck wrote: View Post
    Hard to argue that Jose has a "smoother" jumper, at least based on last year...

Jose -- 0.482 FG%, 0.398 3P%
    Jarrett -- 0.481 FG%, 0.412 3P%

IMO the only thing Jose has on Jarrett is passing/avoiding turnovers.
    Jose is much better at running an offense than Jack. Besides, over the course of their careers, Jose is a much better shooter. And Jose is a better mid-range shooter than Jack.

Post Thanks / Like

on the court everything was tighter and more productive when jack was starter.

i don't care what you guys think jack is clearly better than jose. plus, we've had jack for a year and people are shunning him for what he's done on previous crappy teams.

jose's been here for forever and a half and hasn't done much. i say out with the old in with the new.

bye bye, jose.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Jose is much better at running an offense than Jack. Besides, over the course of their careers, Jose is a much better shooter. And Jose is a better mid-range shooter than Jack.
    OK, that's 3 things, even though they're debatable. But there's another dozen or so facets of the game that I would say Jack has the upper hand. Attacking the defence, drawing fouls, scoring in the paint, rebounding, defensive agressiveness, creating turnovers, athleticism, hustle, etc... well that's not a dozen but it's pretty darn close.

In short, I'd rather have Jack running my team than Jose.

Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Consider their contracts and abilities, which PG do you think other teams would rather have?

I don't expect BC will be able to trade Jose for anything more than Hedo clone.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Wed May 12th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of people around here are vastly underestimating what Jose brings to the team. Now, I like Jack, and even defended him on this site when he was struggling at the beginning of the year, but Jose is one of only two players on the team that makes other players better (the other one is Turkoglu, when he actually cares). Jack, for all his strengths, doesn't make his teammates better. It's a rare ability and one that is lost on most fans because they simply don't see it.

Yes, his defense is bad, but he's one of the few players in the league that is able to make up for it on the offensive end (unlike Bargnani).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If a team trades for Jose it will be paying him to be a starter, but his skills shine as a back up pg. I can't think of too many teams that want to spend money that want Jose as thier starting point guard. I don't support keeping the guy with the worse value just because no one else will take him.

Thread Information