Eric Smith Feels Raptors Will Move Jose & Not Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Smith Feels Raptors Will Move Jose & Not Jack

No new revelations here, but just Eric's two cents on who he thinks stays and goes at the PG spot.

For what its worth, I hope he's right.

Q. All signs point to the Raptors moving one of their point guards before next season. Who will it be; the guy that makes less money and plays better D or the guy that has a smoother jumper and runs the offence better?

A. As much as I might like the guy personally, I think the Raptors might try to move Calderon because of the mere fact that he makes more money than Jack and Toronto could probably create a little more financial wiggle room via his departure (if that’s the case).
    Source - Click here

I hope it's Calderon and not Jack. I'm tired of seeing this on the floor:

Comment

I hope it's Jack. I don't like trying to play a backup as a starter.

Comment

We're talking about two similarly productive players that play the same position, one of whom makes significantly more money than the other. We're also talking about a team who is likely about to lose its best player and will still have very little money to spend. The Raptors are in a tough spot financially at the moment, so they need to make an effort to move any of their bigger contracts (ie Turk or Calderon, considering Bargnani seems to be locked in) So obviously the Raptors "might try to move Calderon", because moving Jack offers much less of the financial relief they so desperately need.

The question isn't if they will try to move him, it's if any team will be willing to give up anything of value for a point guard that makes $9 million and has barely been starter quality since signing that deal.

From a non-financial perspective, if the Raptors lose Bosh, they're going to have to lean on Bargs, Turk, and whoever the point guard is to create the majority of their offense. To me, Jack is the better option there, as he is more aggressive, and seems to create for himself and others off the dribble more effectively than Calderon. Plus I think everyone agrees that this team needs to further commit itself on the defensive end, and while Jack may not have been the defender we were hoping for, he's certainly ahead of Calderon on that end.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          I hope it's Calderon and not Jack. I'm tired of seeing this on the floor:
          i dont get it (the picture)..

but i agree jack>calderon

Comment

That picture is a representation of Calderon on defense.

Comment

revolving door on defense=calderon.

Comment

I bet I could blow by Jose before you get through the revolving door, those can be tough. I would have picked a screen door without the screen.

Comment

If Bosh leaves, Calderon is going to be rendered useless, as all he does anyways is bring down the ball and look to pass to Bosh. When Bosh is not in the game, he shoots 3s. Id rather have Jack who is more active, can create opportunities with his dribble penetration, plus he's more pushy which is what the raps need in a floor leader.

Comment

calderon > jack. bipolar point guards are no good, you will all see it

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                      If Bosh leaves, Calderon is going to be rendered useless, as all he does anyways is bring down the ball and look to pass to Bosh. When Bosh is not in the game, he shoots 3s. Id rather have Jack who is more active, can create opportunities with his dribble penetration, plus he's more pushy which is what the raps need in a floor leader.
                      Well, I guess if you don't include the time that Calderon was coming off the bench and started to have a really good on court report with Amir Johnson.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Hard to argue that Jose has a "smoother" jumper, at least based on last year...

Jose -- 0.482 FG%, 0.398 3P%
                        Jarrett -- 0.481 FG%, 0.412 3P%

IMO the only thing Jose has on Jarrett is passing/avoiding turnovers.
                        Last edited by jrdyck; Wed May 12, 2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
                          Hard to argue that Jose has a "smoother" jumper, at least based on last year...

Jose -- 0.482 FG%, 0.398 3P%
                          Jarrett -- 0.481 FG%, 0.412 3P%

IMO the only thing Jose has on Jarrett is passing/avoiding turnovers.
                          Jose is much better at running an offense than Jack. Besides, over the course of their careers, Jose is a much better shooter. And Jose is a better mid-range shooter than Jack.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

on the court everything was tighter and more productive when jack was starter.

i don't care what you guys think jack is clearly better than jose. plus, we've had jack for a year and people are shunning him for what he's done on previous crappy teams.

jose's been here for forever and a half and hasn't done much. i say out with the old in with the new.

bye bye, jose.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              Jose is much better at running an offense than Jack. Besides, over the course of their careers, Jose is a much better shooter. And Jose is a better mid-range shooter than Jack.
                              OK, that's 3 things, even though they're debatable. But there's another dozen or so facets of the game that I would say Jack has the upper hand. Attacking the defence, drawing fouls, scoring in the paint, rebounding, defensive agressiveness, creating turnovers, athleticism, hustle, etc... well that's not a dozen but it's pretty darn close.

In short, I'd rather have Jack running my team than Jose.

Comment

Working...
                              X