Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Player Has the Most Negative Impact on the Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Player Has the Most Negative Impact on the Raps?

You probably all know this but here are some interesting on/off stats from 82games.com.

Raps Points per 100 Possessions

Bosh = ON court +0.2, OFF court -5.8, NET +6.0
    AB = ON -4.1, OFF +3.2, NET -7.4
    Johnson = ON +2.6, OFF -4.5, NET +7.1
    Jack = ON -2.1, OFF -1.7, NET -0.5
    Turk = ON -3.8, OFF +0.4, NET -4.2
    Calderon = ON -2.3, OFF -1.7, NET -0.5
    Weems = ON +0.6, OFF -3.3, NET +3.8
    Wright = ON +1.1, OFF -3.6, NET +4.7
    Derozan = ON -6.2, OFF +1.2, NET -7.3
    Belinelli = ON +2.3, OFF -3.6, NET +5.9

I find these stats very telling.

Basically, here are the rotation players in order of their negative impact on the teams play.

1. Bargnani
    2. Derozan
    3. Turk
    4. Jack/Calderon

Consequently, any attempt to get better should start with moving at least the first 3 players on that list!

Moving Bosh and relying on AB, Derozan and Turk will put us in the lottery for the next 3-4 years!

Raw +/- stats are a little misleading.

You'll notice that aside from Bosh, all of our starters (including Demar, who started 65 games) have "negative impacts", while all of our bench players have "positive impacts". (This is ignoring Calderon/Jack, as they basically split the starting job down the middle)

To me, this simply indicates that our starting unit was being beaten by the other team's starting unit, while our bench was beating the other teams bench (obviously this isn't perfect, but more often than not starting units tend to face starting units and reserves tend to face reserves) If you move Andrea to the bench next season, he would likely become a "positive impact" player. If you move Belinelli into the starting 5, he almost certainly becomes a "negative impact" player.

+/- stats can be useful, but in this case they say more about the strength of our units than they do about individual performances.

Comment

TM Williamson wrote: View Post

You'll notice that aside from Bosh, all of our starters (including Demar, who started 65 games) have "negative impacts", while all of our bench players have "positive impacts". (This is ignoring Calderon/Jack, as they basically split the starting job down the middle)

To me, this simply indicates that our starting unit was being beaten by the other team's starting unit, while our bench was beating the other teams bench (obviously this isn't perfect, but more often than not starting units tend to face starting units and reserves tend to face reserves) If you move Andrea to the bench next season, he would likely become a "positive impact" player. If you move Belinelli into the starting 5, he almost certainly becomes a "negative impact" player.

+/- stats can be useful, but in this case they say more about the strength of our units than they do about individual performances.
      I would tend to agree with you on this as it seems reasonable. However, Big Dawg was a + 8.2 ppg in the five games that he started last year which was better than when he came off of the bench.

In addition all of the key rotation players play some if not a good deal of their minutes on and against 5 man mixed units of starters and subs.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

So belli has a NET +5.9 does that mean he deserves to be a starter?!

those stats do not tell the whole story.

Comment

not sure if they consider blow-outs, close games, sub .500 teams, injuries on these stats. if they do, great, if not, then its useless.

Comment

"I would tend to agree with you on this as it seems reasonable. However, Big Dawg was a + 8.2 ppg in the five games that he started last year which was better than when he came off of the bench."

Buddhafan do you have the stats for the whole team for those games? I am curious.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

Belinelli is a much better player than most around here give him credit for. I would have liked to see him in the starting lineup more this past season.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

That's why adjusted +/- is more useful: it takes into account who played against tough opposing units, and who else was on the floor at the same time. From basketballvalue.com, here's the 4 worst Raptors in 1-year adjusted +/-:

Demar DeRozan -4.72
                Andrea Bargnani -4.39
                Jarrett Jack -4.00
                Jose Calderon -2.52

The big difference is that Turk by this measure was our 5th best player, alhough still slightly in the negatives. Adjusted =/- also puts Bellinelli as a negative impact btw. The 4 positive impact players were Bosh, Amir, Wright, and Sonny, in that order, with Bosh at +6.97 and Amir at +3.16

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

No he doesn't and you are correct the stats can be misleading in limited minutes and depending on who one plays against and which five man unit he plays on.

However, when taken over a bigger sample of minutes of a longer time frame then the results along with other stats such as offense and defense rating show whether a player has success, failure or is neutral when on the court with those he plays with and against.

One really needs to look at five man units with meaningful minutes to make some kind of meaningful judgment visa via a player's effectiveness.

Short term and within limited measuring sticks there can be anomalies and misleading stats but when taken over a longer period of time and with a larger total of minutes if a players shows that the units he is on consistently tend to perform one way or the other than it does say something about a players effectiveness or lack thereof.
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed May 12, 2010, 03:51 PM.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    "I would tend to agree with you on this as it seems reasonable. However, Big Dawg was a + 8.2 ppg in the five games that he started last year which was better than when he came off of the bench."

Buddhafan do you have the stats for the whole team for those games? I am curious.
                    No but it wouldn't be too hard to compute because the sample is relatively small

If you go to basketballvalue.com here are the leading +/- NBA players two years combined data

CB4 was 12th best in the league and Big Dawg 14th best.

All of the players on the list are either all-stars or regular rotation players.

Player +/-
                    ---------------------------
                    Wade, Dwyane----20.07
                    James, LeBron-----16.92
                    Nash, Steve--------13.52
                    Allen, Ray----------10.61
                    Bryant, Kobe------10.26
                    Paul, Chris-----------8.4
                    Howard, Dwight---7.71
                    Hilario, Nene-------7.52
                    Andersen, Chris----7.43
                    Odom, Lamar------7.08
                    Bogut, Andrew----7.02
                    Bosh, Chris--------6.97
                    Kidd, Jason--------6.72
                    Johnson, Amir----6.33

http://basketballvalue.com/topplayer...sortorder=DESC

It is highly unlikely that this data is meaningless given who is on the list.

I removed Harden who was on the list because he played only one year.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      No but it wouldn't be too hard to compute because the sample is relatively small

If you go to basketballvalue.com here are the leading +/- NBA players two years combined data

CB4 was 12th best in the league and Big Dawg 14th best.

All of the players on the list are either all-stars or regular rotation players.

Player +/-
                      ---------------------------
                      Wade, Dwyane----20.07
                      James, LeBron-----16.92
                      Nash, Steve--------13.52
                      Allen, Ray----------10.61
                      Bryant, Kobe------10.26
                      Paul, Chris-----------8.4
                      Howard, Dwight---7.71
                      Hilario, Nene-------7.52
                      Andersen, Chris----7.43
                      Odom, Lamar------7.08
                      Bogut, Andrew----7.02
                      Bosh, Chris--------6.97
                      Kidd, Jason--------6.72
                      Johnson, Amir----6.33

http://basketballvalue.com/topplayer...sortorder=DESC

It is highly unlikely that this data is meaningless given who is on the list.

I removed Harden who was on the list because he played only one year.
                      Two spots below Amir on that list is Dorrel Wright.

Thirty-three spots below Amir on that list is Kevin Durant.

Kevin Durant is (arguably) a top 5 player in the NBA. Dorrel Wright is (arguably) not even a top 5 player on his own team.

The data is not meaningless, but it is also not useful if presented and viewed out of context.

Comment

Two spots below Amir on that list is Dorrel Wright.

Thirty-three spots below Amir on that list is Kevin Durant.

Kevin Durant is (arguably) a top 5 player in the NBA. Dorrel Wright is (arguably) not even a top 5 player on his own team.

The data is not meaningless, but it is also not useful if presented and viewed out of context.
                        Wright only played in 6 games in 2008-09 so there is really only one year's worth of data for him. As I noted I removed Harden because he had only one year. Two years data is a lot more meaningful than one year. Three years data even more so and so on.

Maybe KD is primarily a scorer. The data is what it is. Sometimes people see only one side of the picture. The NBA and ESPN have a tendency to hype scorers and neglect defenders and energy players both of whom contribute an awful lot to a team's success.

So I would suggest Westbrook who is 22nd on the list including one year players is more important to the Thunder's overall success than KD especially because of his vastly superior defensive abilities and because he handles the ball more than KD.

I am very comfortable with that.

I stand by the data as being meaningful and reflective of a players value to a team's success.

Westbrook caused a lot more problems for the Lakers than KD did that is 4sure beyond a doubt, the straight reality of what went down in that series.
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed May 12, 2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

According to this, Bosh and AB should have similar +/- since they are both starters.

Also, why are Jack/Calderon's +/- so much different than Turks or Derozan's. Since all of these players were starters as well as backups at different points in the season, it would suggest to me that their impact on the game is fundamentally different.

Comment

It seems to me that a lot of people hear 'advanced stats have to be used with caution' and think 'advanced stats don't mean anything'. The one ain't the other.

The big caution with even the adjusted +/- is that the standard error is really huge. It means you have to treat these numbers as general benchmarks rather than precise measures. So we can say that AB and DD and JJ all seemed to have a pretty negative impact on Raptor success, but we can't really say who was worse, exactly, and it's possible that for one or two of them the numbers are basically a fluke.

Just as an aside, Ab's adjusted +/- numbers for the year were pretty decent up until the all-star break, after which they absolutely submarined. I'm curious what the reason for that was, and I suspect that there was a reason, whether it was that he was hampered by his ankle or that he was really unable to handle Chris's absence and the extra attention he received.

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
                              According to this, Bosh and AB should have similar +/- since they are both starters.

Also, why are Jack/Calderon's +/- so much different than Turks or Derozan's. Since all of these players were starters as well as backups at different points in the season, it would suggest to me that their impact on the game is fundamentally different.
                              Seriously, did you watch any Raptors games last season?

Johnson was the first big off the bench most of the season and if when he played his regular minutes he played with Bosh and he played with Bargnani but he never played with both. Geez

Comment

Working...
                              X