Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Stein: Bosh Remains Houston's Top Target

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    3,934
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Stein: Bosh Remains Houston's Top Target

    Courtesy of Marc Stein's ESPN chat wrap this afternoon:

    Q: Are you still standing pat that Bosh goes to Houston in a sign and trade? Ford thinks its OKC, Sheridan likes NY. Who provides the best package coming back? Thursday May 13, 2010 12:19 Jordan

    Marc Stein: Did I ever say it's a done deal? What we've reported is that Bosh is Houston's top target and Toronto likes some of the Rockets' pieces ... but Bosh has to choose Houston first. I don't see OKC in the mix because -- even though the Thunder are teeming with pieces as Chad rightly notes -- I don't think Bosh is interested in playing in a small market.
    Source - Click here

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree that Houston has the best group of assets for a team like the Raptors going forward. If Houston is serious they should start wooing CB. Wonder what comes first....arranging the parameters with BC or get an ok from Bosh that he wants to go to the Rockets and the money.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't see Bosh fitting in Houston at all. They already have a bunch of shot happy players who need touches and don't like to share the rock. Whose shots is he taking and if Yao is back, Bosh is not the ideal player to put next to him. I think Scola is a much better fit for Houston. Bosh's value lies in being added to a defensive team that needs an infusion of offense.

    If he goes to Houston his numbers are going to take a big hit, its going to affect the chemistry and mentality of the team and I wonder who is going to emerge as the leader on that team?

    It might be the worst team he could go to, but if we get back some nice pieces i'm all for it.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    do the salaries have to match dollar for dollar in a sign and trade? coz if it does, then we have to get at least 3 to 4 players from Houston for the salaries to match, and for sure at least Battier or Ariza should be included.

    Im pretty sure any of the Texas teams will be fine with Bosh. He's going to be closer to home. But he'd probably prefer Houston over San Antonio or Dallas, just because they can accommodate a PF whereas Dallas has Dirk and SA has Timmy. Scola can play the 5 and can backup both the 4 and 5 if Yao comes back.

    With the Raps, either Battier or Ariza would definitely be good, both can play the 3 and 4 which will allow Hedo to play the point forward. Im guessing theyd probably send Ariza over coz his contract is longer, by retaining Battier they will have cap space next year. If this does happen, we'd probably have the same players for the next couple of years as Hedo, Bargs, Calderon, Ariza, Derozan and Jack are pretty locked in till 2013. If they throw in Jordan Hill and Armstrong that would be a pretty good team defensively.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    I don't see Bosh fitting in Houston at all. They already have a bunch of shot happy players who need touches and don't like to share the rock. Whose shots is he taking and if Yao is back, Bosh is not the ideal player to put next to him. I think Scola is a much better fit for Houston. Bosh's value lies in being added to a defensive team that needs an infusion of offense.

    If he goes to Houston his numbers are going to take a big hit, its going to affect the chemistry and mentality of the team and I wonder who is going to emerge as the leader on that team?

    It might be the worst team he could go to, but if we get back some nice pieces i'm all for it.
    The past season, the top 4 scorers for Houston actually had almost identical FGAs. Brooks, Martin, Scola and Ariza had around 14 per game. I dont think theyre shot happy, its actually a good distribution of shots for a team. Bosh's number might go down in the beginning, but he's probably still going to average 20/10 by the end of the season. I think the equal distribution of shots was because they didnt have a "go to" guy, it shouldve been martin, but wasnt he injured for sometime? Im guessing either Brooks or Ariza (if he's not traded to the Raps) scoring will surely dip to make room for Bosh, but Scola will most likely take the biggest hit.

    Bosh is a definite fit for the Rockets, and with Yao. Bosh has gradually turned into a perimeter player, not really that strong with his back to the basket. He will pull his defender away from the paint giving Yao room to work, and Yao mostly plays on the weak side so Bosh can drop a pass to Yao incase he gets blocked on a penetration move. Brooks has excellent dribble penetration and Bosh will wait for those kickouts to hoist jumpers. Ariza/Battier are excellent defenders, as well as Yao, which will allow Bosh leniency on his defense.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Everybody seems to think that Bosh will agree to a sign and trade. He might just take his skinny frame to the first taker - see you - goodbye - over and out.
    Toronto will be left vying for scraps. Anybody know what the 2011 draft outlook looks like?

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree he will probably average 20-10 by the end of the season. If they just return the same group of players they will be a playoff team and if Yao can give them anything, that's a big bonus. They don't need scoring and they don't need rebounds. All their player's score efficiently so they don't need Bosh there either, Martin is pretty much the guard version of Bosh. They need Noah, not Bosh.

    Can Bosh fit in Houston, yea he could, but I don't see how it makes them a better team. Scola is a much better PF to match up with Yao. Yao and Bosh reminds of Bosh and Bargs, just too soft up front.

    I watched Houston play this year, Adelman runs good offensive sets. They have good ball movement, but everyone wants to shoot the rock. Bosh is a black hole, albeit an efficient one. They don't need any more chefs, the kitchen is full, they need a server and a bouncer. I think he would disrupt thier offense in a similar way Shaq disrupts the Cavs and Brand does Philly.

    It's possible he could fit in nicely on a team where there isn't a lot of shots to go around, but what's the point of adding him then. The guy has been the man for 7 years and probably isn't going to tailor his ego and accept a smaller role. The only way he is worth close to max dollars is if he is the focal point of your team's offense. In Houston I don't see that happening and if they have to give up Ariza or Scola I think they will be making thier team worse, not better.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    884
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chris Bosh is a very good passer off the high post and would fit in brilliantly (as a passer) into Adelman's offense.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    do the salaries have to match dollar for dollar in a sign and trade?
    Salary cap for 2010-11 is expected to be around $56.1 million. Max contract for a player is 30% of that or $16.8 million, however on a contract extension a player may be entitle to a 10.5% hit over their old contract which would put Bosh max for 2010-11 at $17.9 x 110.5% or $19.8. So let us say that he can get $19.8 in 2010-11. The 10.5% increase would not be high enough to qualify him to become a BYC player. You need an increase of at least 20%

    So for argument sake lets say that his new salary starts at $19.8 million in 2010-11. So the Raptors would need to take back about $15.75 in salaries ($15.75 X 125% plus $100,000 = $19.8)

    Some Houston salaries include

    K. Martin is at $11.1
    T. Ariza is at $6.3
    S. Battier $7.4 expiring
    J. Jeffries $6.9 player option

    I don't see them trading anyone else for Bosh. They do however have the 14th pick right now unless they get lucky with the ping pong balls.

    So I could see a Bosh for Martin and Jeffries trade assuming Jefferies doesn't opt out. Otherwise a Martin 27 and Battier 32 for Bosh would were.

    That would work because it the Bosh's salary in 2010-11 would be less than 125% $100,000 of the total salaries of the Houston players that the Raptors were getting.

    Martin when healthy could be a very addition to the Raptors. Battier who I think could still bring some good defense and effort would also be a nice addition. In addition he has a nice size expiring contract after 2010-11.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu May 13th, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    So I could see a Bosh for Martin and Jeffries trade assuming Jefferies doesn't opt out. Otherwise a Martin 27 and Battier 32 for Bosh would were.

    That would work because it the Bosh's salary in 2010-11 would be less than 125% $100,000 of the total salaries of the Houston players that the Raptors were getting.

    Martin when healthy could be a very addition to the Raptors. Battier who I think could still bring some good defense and effort would also be a nice addition. In addition he has a nice size expiring contract after 2010-11.
    Ugh! First of all, saying "when Martin is healthy" is like saying "When Oprah is skinny". In 6 years in the league, Martin missed at least 20 games 4 times. Plus, he's one of the worst defensive players in the league. It's a shame, actually, because when he was a rookie, I remember him playing really good defense. Apparently he stopped doing it years ago, though.

    And while I love Battier, I don't see any point whatsoever of getting him on the Raptors. He's 32 years old and his best days are behind him. He'd be perfect for a contender, which the Raptors most definitely will not be.

    If the Raptors trade Bosh, there's absolutely no point in getting a veteran who's going to help them immediately, but not in two or three years when they (hopefully) will turn things around.

    If Bosh wants to go to Houston, I'd want Trevor Ariza or, at the very least, Jordan Hill and a draft pick.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Ugh! First of all, saying "when Martin is healthy" is like saying "When Oprah is skinny". In 6 years in the league, Martin missed at least 20 games 4 times. Plus, he's one of the worst defensive players in the league. It's a shame, actually, because when he was a rookie, I remember him playing really good defense. Apparently he stopped doing it years ago, though.

    And while I love Battier, I don't see any point whatsoever of getting him on the Raptors. He's 32 years old and his best days are behind him. He'd be perfect for a contender, which the Raptors most definitely will not be.

    If the Raptors trade Bosh, there's absolutely no point in getting a veteran who's going to help them immediately, but not in two or three years when they (hopefully) will turn things around.

    If Bosh wants to go to Houston, I'd want Trevor Ariza or, at the very least, Jordan Hill and a draft pick.
    The deal you want the salaries don't match. Beggers can't be choosers. The Raptors have to take back at least $15.8 million

    Hill's salary is $2.5 million. that leaves you $13.3 million short. If the Rockets would do a 3 for 1 than Battier, Ariza and Hill for Bosh would work.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Scola + Budinger + filler

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote dn66 wrote: View Post
    Scola + Budinger + filler
    That is more complicated because Scola is free agent and will almost definitely become a BYC player.

    But even with that Scola, Budinger and Martin would probably work. Without Martin it would have to be a 4-1 trade and i seriously doubt that that the Rockets would gut their team for Bosh. Martin's contract goes out through 2012-2013.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd take Battier. His rep is that he's a huge glue guy, and for a team with an obvious leadership void like the Raptors, someone like that can only help. He's like an improved version of AP. The fact that he's in his contract year is a bonus. Like it was mentioned, he would be a good fit for a contender, so if the Raps season starts out horribly we could easily ship him out at the trade deadline and pick up something for the future.

    I think Bosh would fit in in Houston. I'm pretty sure Adelman could make it work well. I doubt they'd give up Martin so soon and that's fine with me.

    Oh, if Bosh actually wouldn't go to OKC because it's a small market then he's a fool. At his end of year press conference he said it was all about winning. It's clear to me that it's all about ego.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    The deal you want the salaries don't match. Beggers can't be choosers. The Raptors have to take back at least $15.8 million

    Hill's salary is $2.5 million. that leaves you $13.3 million short. If the Rockets would do a 3 for 1 than Battier, Ariza and Hill for Bosh would work.
    I wasn't suggesting a trade just for those players. Just that those are the players I would want back. Obviously you have to add players to make it work.

  16. #16
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Hill's salary is $2.5 million. that leaves you $13.3 million short. If the Rockets would do a 3 for 1 than Battier, Ariza and Hill for Bosh would work.
    What's left for Bosh in Houston in that scenario? No way the Raptors are getting Battier and Ariza. Bosh would want to go there to be surrounded by guys like that. I could see something like Ariza, Jeffries and Hill. In this scenario the Raptors aren't getting equal value, but they won't else where either. At least here they get a young gun who plays strong defense, an expiring contract and a prospect. Maybe they could squeeze a 1st rounder out of the Rockets as well? If it were this year's draft it could place them in a position to land Xavier Henry. Of course the Rockets would have to make the pick for the Raptors and then do the S&T on July 1st.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie Aris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Bosh decides to leave via sign & trade he is going to give Colangelo list of teams he would like to play for. The Raps are going to trade Bosh to the team who offers the best package. I don't care how complicated it would be, if we don't get Scola back in return for Bosh we get a better deal from one of the other teams on Bosh's list. The Raptors won't trade Bosh for Ariza, keep dreaming Houston fans.
    Last edited by Aris; Thu May 13th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Aris wrote: View Post
    If Bosh decides to leave via sign & trade he is going to give Colangelo list of teams he would like to play for. The Raps are going to trade Bosh to the team who offers the best package. I don't care how complicated it would be, if we don't get Scola back in return for Bosh we get a better deal from one of the other teams on Bosh's list. The Raptors won't trade Bosh for Ariza, keep dreaming Houston fans.
    I wouldn't want Ariza either unless he was going to come in off the bench.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is it set in stone that bosh will do a sign and trade? HE COULD JUST WALK!!!!

  20. #20
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    3,934
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rapper wrote: View Post
    Is it set in stone that bosh will do a sign and trade? HE COULD JUST WALK!!!!
    He could, but the only way of getting max money is via a sign-and-trade. No way he's turning down a maximum contract so he'll work with the Raptors and Colangelo.

    BTW, welcome to the forums rapper.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •