X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stein: Bosh Remains Houston's Top Target

Courtesy of Marc Stein's ESPN chat wrap this afternoon:

Q: Are you still standing pat that Bosh goes to Houston in a sign and trade? Ford thinks its OKC, Sheridan likes NY. Who provides the best package coming back? Thursday May 13, 2010 12:19 Jordan

Marc Stein: Did I ever say it's a done deal? What we've reported is that Bosh is Houston's top target and Toronto likes some of the Rockets' pieces ... but Bosh has to choose Houston first. I don't see OKC in the mix because -- even though the Thunder are teeming with pieces as Chad rightly notes -- I don't think Bosh is interested in playing in a small market.
    Source - Click here

I agree that Houston has the best group of assets for a team like the Raptors going forward. If Houston is serious they should start wooing CB. Wonder what comes first....arranging the parameters with BC or get an ok from Bosh that he wants to go to the Rockets and the money.

Comment

I don't see Bosh fitting in Houston at all. They already have a bunch of shot happy players who need touches and don't like to share the rock. Whose shots is he taking and if Yao is back, Bosh is not the ideal player to put next to him. I think Scola is a much better fit for Houston. Bosh's value lies in being added to a defensive team that needs an infusion of offense.

If he goes to Houston his numbers are going to take a big hit, its going to affect the chemistry and mentality of the team and I wonder who is going to emerge as the leader on that team?

It might be the worst team he could go to, but if we get back some nice pieces i'm all for it.

Comment

do the salaries have to match dollar for dollar in a sign and trade? coz if it does, then we have to get at least 3 to 4 players from Houston for the salaries to match, and for sure at least Battier or Ariza should be included.

Im pretty sure any of the Texas teams will be fine with Bosh. He's going to be closer to home. But he'd probably prefer Houston over San Antonio or Dallas, just because they can accommodate a PF whereas Dallas has Dirk and SA has Timmy. Scola can play the 5 and can backup both the 4 and 5 if Yao comes back.

With the Raps, either Battier or Ariza would definitely be good, both can play the 3 and 4 which will allow Hedo to play the point forward. Im guessing theyd probably send Ariza over coz his contract is longer, by retaining Battier they will have cap space next year. If this does happen, we'd probably have the same players for the next couple of years as Hedo, Bargs, Calderon, Ariza, Derozan and Jack are pretty locked in till 2013. If they throw in Jordan Hill and Armstrong that would be a pretty good team defensively.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
          I don't see Bosh fitting in Houston at all. They already have a bunch of shot happy players who need touches and don't like to share the rock. Whose shots is he taking and if Yao is back, Bosh is not the ideal player to put next to him. I think Scola is a much better fit for Houston. Bosh's value lies in being added to a defensive team that needs an infusion of offense.

If he goes to Houston his numbers are going to take a big hit, its going to affect the chemistry and mentality of the team and I wonder who is going to emerge as the leader on that team?

It might be the worst team he could go to, but if we get back some nice pieces i'm all for it.
          The past season, the top 4 scorers for Houston actually had almost identical FGAs. Brooks, Martin, Scola and Ariza had around 14 per game. I dont think theyre shot happy, its actually a good distribution of shots for a team. Bosh's number might go down in the beginning, but he's probably still going to average 20/10 by the end of the season. I think the equal distribution of shots was because they didnt have a "go to" guy, it shouldve been martin, but wasnt he injured for sometime? Im guessing either Brooks or Ariza (if he's not traded to the Raps) scoring will surely dip to make room for Bosh, but Scola will most likely take the biggest hit.

Bosh is a definite fit for the Rockets, and with Yao. Bosh has gradually turned into a perimeter player, not really that strong with his back to the basket. He will pull his defender away from the paint giving Yao room to work, and Yao mostly plays on the weak side so Bosh can drop a pass to Yao incase he gets blocked on a penetration move. Brooks has excellent dribble penetration and Bosh will wait for those kickouts to hoist jumpers. Ariza/Battier are excellent defenders, as well as Yao, which will allow Bosh leniency on his defense.

Comment

Everybody seems to think that Bosh will agree to a sign and trade. He might just take his skinny frame to the first taker - see you - goodbye - over and out.
            Toronto will be left vying for scraps. Anybody know what the 2011 draft outlook looks like?

Comment

I agree he will probably average 20-10 by the end of the season. If they just return the same group of players they will be a playoff team and if Yao can give them anything, that's a big bonus. They don't need scoring and they don't need rebounds. All their player's score efficiently so they don't need Bosh there either, Martin is pretty much the guard version of Bosh. They need Noah, not Bosh.

Can Bosh fit in Houston, yea he could, but I don't see how it makes them a better team. Scola is a much better PF to match up with Yao. Yao and Bosh reminds of Bosh and Bargs, just too soft up front.

I watched Houston play this year, Adelman runs good offensive sets. They have good ball movement, but everyone wants to shoot the rock. Bosh is a black hole, albeit an efficient one. They don't need any more chefs, the kitchen is full, they need a server and a bouncer. I think he would disrupt thier offense in a similar way Shaq disrupts the Cavs and Brand does Philly.

It's possible he could fit in nicely on a team where there isn't a lot of shots to go around, but what's the point of adding him then. The guy has been the man for 7 years and probably isn't going to tailor his ego and accept a smaller role. The only way he is worth close to max dollars is if he is the focal point of your team's offense. In Houston I don't see that happening and if they have to give up Ariza or Scola I think they will be making thier team worse, not better.

Comment

Chris Bosh is a very good passer off the high post and would fit in brilliantly (as a passer) into Adelman's offense.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                  do the salaries have to match dollar for dollar in a sign and trade?
                  Salary cap for 2010-11 is expected to be around $56.1 million. Max contract for a player is 30% of that or $16.8 million, however on a contract extension a player may be entitle to a 10.5% hit over their old contract which would put Bosh max for 2010-11 at $17.9 x 110.5% or $19.8. So let us say that he can get $19.8 in 2010-11. The 10.5% increase would not be high enough to qualify him to become a BYC player. You need an increase of at least 20%

So for argument sake lets say that his new salary starts at $19.8 million in 2010-11. So the Raptors would need to take back about $15.75 in salaries ($15.75 X 125% plus $100,000 = $19.8)

Some Houston salaries include

K. Martin is at $11.1
                  T. Ariza is at $6.3
                  S. Battier $7.4 expiring
                  J. Jeffries $6.9 player option

I don't see them trading anyone else for Bosh. They do however have the 14th pick right now unless they get lucky with the ping pong balls.

So I could see a Bosh for Martin and Jeffries trade assuming Jefferies doesn't opt out. Otherwise a Martin 27 and Battier 32 for Bosh would were.

That would work because it the Bosh's salary in 2010-11 would be less than 125% $100,000 of the total salaries of the Houston players that the Raptors were getting.

Martin when healthy could be a very addition to the Raptors. Battier who I think could still bring some good defense and effort would also be a nice addition. In addition he has a nice size expiring contract after 2010-11.
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu May 13, 2010, 07:19 PM.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                    So I could see a Bosh for Martin and Jeffries trade assuming Jefferies doesn't opt out. Otherwise a Martin 27 and Battier 32 for Bosh would were.

That would work because it the Bosh's salary in 2010-11 would be less than 125% $100,000 of the total salaries of the Houston players that the Raptors were getting.

Martin when healthy could be a very addition to the Raptors. Battier who I think could still bring some good defense and effort would also be a nice addition. In addition he has a nice size expiring contract after 2010-11.
                    Ugh! First of all, saying "when Martin is healthy" is like saying "When Oprah is skinny". In 6 years in the league, Martin missed at least 20 games 4 times. Plus, he's one of the worst defensive players in the league. It's a shame, actually, because when he was a rookie, I remember him playing really good defense. Apparently he stopped doing it years ago, though.

And while I love Battier, I don't see any point whatsoever of getting him on the Raptors. He's 32 years old and his best days are behind him. He'd be perfect for a contender, which the Raptors most definitely will not be.

If the Raptors trade Bosh, there's absolutely no point in getting a veteran who's going to help them immediately, but not in two or three years when they (hopefully) will turn things around.

If Bosh wants to go to Houston, I'd want Trevor Ariza or, at the very least, Jordan Hill and a draft pick.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Ugh! First of all, saying "when Martin is healthy" is like saying "When Oprah is skinny". In 6 years in the league, Martin missed at least 20 games 4 times. Plus, he's one of the worst defensive players in the league. It's a shame, actually, because when he was a rookie, I remember him playing really good defense. Apparently he stopped doing it years ago, though.

And while I love Battier, I don't see any point whatsoever of getting him on the Raptors. He's 32 years old and his best days are behind him. He'd be perfect for a contender, which the Raptors most definitely will not be.

If the Raptors trade Bosh, there's absolutely no point in getting a veteran who's going to help them immediately, but not in two or three years when they (hopefully) will turn things around.

If Bosh wants to go to Houston, I'd want Trevor Ariza or, at the very least, Jordan Hill and a draft pick.
                      The deal you want the salaries don't match. Beggers can't be choosers. The Raptors have to take back at least $15.8 million

Hill's salary is $2.5 million. that leaves you $13.3 million short. If the Rockets would do a 3 for 1 than Battier, Ariza and Hill for Bosh would work.
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Scola + Budinger + filler

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                          Scola + Budinger + filler
                          That is more complicated because Scola is free agent and will almost definitely become a BYC player.

But even with that Scola, Budinger and Martin would probably work. Without Martin it would have to be a 4-1 trade and i seriously doubt that that the Rockets would gut their team for Bosh. Martin's contract goes out through 2012-2013.

Comment

I'd take Battier. His rep is that he's a huge glue guy, and for a team with an obvious leadership void like the Raptors, someone like that can only help. He's like an improved version of AP. The fact that he's in his contract year is a bonus. Like it was mentioned, he would be a good fit for a contender, so if the Raps season starts out horribly we could easily ship him out at the trade deadline and pick up something for the future.

I think Bosh would fit in in Houston. I'm pretty sure Adelman could make it work well. I doubt they'd give up Martin so soon and that's fine with me.

Oh, if Bosh actually wouldn't go to OKC because it's a small market then he's a fool. At his end of year press conference he said it was all about winning. It's clear to me that it's all about ego.
                            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              The deal you want the salaries don't match. Beggers can't be choosers. The Raptors have to take back at least $15.8 million

Hill's salary is $2.5 million. that leaves you $13.3 million short. If the Rockets would do a 3 for 1 than Battier, Ariza and Hill for Bosh would work.
                              I wasn't suggesting a trade just for those players. Just that those are the players I would want back. Obviously you have to add players to make it work.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X