Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just Don't Pick Bargnani Version 2.0

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject but maybe because I grew up in Buffalo and have always thought of Toronto as one of the great cosmopolitan cities in North America I just don't understand why a NBA player would not want to play for the Raptors because they are based in Toronto or Canada.
    It seems you are simply more open minded than many American NBA players.

Far, far more American players have either refused, or complained about going to TOronto than any other team. For most, it's simply a fact of ignorance. I had a friend who worked for the Grizzlies, when they were in town here, and I heard about all the complaints from players. The main one was no ESPN, but there were other, equally inane complaints.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    Expressions like this "I swear if they continue with this Euro push, I will stop watching the Raptors. " illustrate why Colangelo is a visionary GM. Most people understand that the US is the dominant force in Basketball, and so thus in some sort of crypto-racist assumption, think that means that "Americans" themselves are somehow better than "Euros" (which includes everywhere that is not the US). That is, of course, nonsense, basketball is simply culturally more developed in the US. fans yer, who in their lack of vision can only compare Toronto to US teams.
    That is a very PC answer, one that avoids to even touch on the subject of how come in certain sports such as basketball and football Black American born players completly dominate it over white American born players.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm staying out of it but if you want to continue it maybe you should start a thread in the appropriate place?

Raptors Republic Sports Junkie Forum

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    It seems you are simply more open minded than many American NBA players.

Far, far more American players have either refused, or complained about going to TOronto than any other team. For most, it's simply a fact of ignorance. I had a friend who worked for the Grizzlies, when they were in town here, and I heard about all the complaints from players. The main one was no ESPN, but there were other, equally inane complaints.
    Here say. You can bring here say all day in an argument and it isn't very supportive of your position.

Bring me a link with actual quotes. It should easy. Just Google something like - "NBA players refuse to play in Toronto" or "Toronto is not liked by NBA players"

I am sorry I don't buy the argument because I don't believe it and won't unless I see a quote from a player, coach or legit writer/blogger attesting to that fact.

Now players may not want to play in Toronto because they don't like the coach or they think that the team won't be very good, but because it is not in the U.S.A. I won't believe it until I see it or hear it from a legit source. Sorry

If free agents are willing to sign to play in Detroit and Cleveland which are literal vacant garbage dumps these days I see no reason why they wouldn't want to play in a beautiful cosmopolitan city like Toronto.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri May 14th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie TM Williamson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Here say. You can bring here say all day in an argument and it isn't very supportive of your position.

Bring me a link with actual quotes. It should easy. Just Google something like - "NBA players refuse to play in Toronto" or "Toronto is not liked by NBA players"

I am sorry I don't buy the argument because I don't believe it and won't unless I see a quote from a player, coach or legit writer/blogger attesting to that fact.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Toronto+is+not+...by+NBA+players

You could always do that youself you know...

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

TM Williamson, I love that link! I will most definitely be using it in the future..

Buddahfan, since you're not in Canada, so you probably don't hear about it as much as we do. There have been a few highly publicized cases of NBA players refusing to report to Toronto: Kenny Anderson, Jerry Stackhouse, Alonzo Mounring (and Steve Francis didn't want to report to Vancouver). And other trades were nixed when the player sad he wouldn't come to Toronto. Gerald Wallace, for example. As I mentioned, I heard far more than most did because my friend worked for the Grizzlies and dealt with the players all the time. This is not simply an issue with NBA players, though. He's actually a transplanted American (for more than 15 years) and when he goes back, he always has people asking him when he's moving back because most simply don't understand why he'd live in Canada.

Rarely does a player actually refuse to report when traded. When it's more than once, it's understandable a city might get a complex.

"He was sent to the Portland Trail Blazers in return for guard Kenny Anderson, who refused to come to Toronto. The Raptors had to send Anderson on to Boston in another trade. Jerry Stackhouse and Kevin Willis have also refused potential trades to Toronto."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/18/sp...-canada.t.html

Now, I don't believe that every NBA player is like this, but when Trevor Ariza turned down more money to play in Houston, that says something to me. It's not as if he's going to a contender. The Raptors simply aren't in the same position as a team like Chicago, New York or Miami.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information