Thread: Smith: Raptors Should Dangle Full MLE to Ray Allen

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Smith: Raptors Should Dangle Full MLE to Ray Allen

Possibly risky, but yes please. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

One of Bryanís first calls this summer should be to Ray Allen and he should dangle a three-year, full mid-level contract in front of him.

Guy makes big shots, has been in big games and is precisely the kind of old head I think this team really needs.

Now, there are three rather significant problems with that idea so donít think itís going to happen for sure.

The first would be that, given his druthers, Iím sure Allen would prefer to remain in Boston and I have no idea if the Celtics feel the same.

The second would be that to eat up the mid-level exception on him Ė as opposed to a sign-and-trade deal for maybe a package of Antoine Wright and, say, Jarrett Jack or Reggie Evans Ė would cut into money available for Toronto to sign other bits and pieces, although there are always trades and draft picks to take into consideration.

And the third is whether, if thereís no real interest in Boston, Allen would have any interest in joining a less-than-glamourous team thatís been out of the playoffs for two years.
    Source - Click here

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though Allen will be 35 this summer I think that he will try to get more than the full MLE. Over the last three seasons he has averaged 77 games a season and 35 plus minutes a game. His scoring hasn't really fallen off over that period.

Teams might be leery about giving a 35 year old shooting guard more than the full MLE though I have no doubt that his agent will try and get more even if only on a three year deal. Allen made $20 million this season.

My guess is that he could possibly get a three year deal of at least $25 million which put him over the MLE. Whether his agent could get more than the full MLE we will just have to wait and see.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray ALlen has fallen off the last couple of years. If it weren't for the big playoffs, so far, Allen would be a lot lower on people's list. I don't like this idea, at all. It smacks of desperation. Ray Allen has a lot of mileage, isn't nearly the defender he used to be and may be ready to fall off a cliff, in terms of production. This is just what Cleveland tried to do. Simply try to get by year by year, instead of having a long term plan.

Nope, don't like it at all.

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray will sign with a Championship contender

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A) I think he'd rather sign with a contender.

B) I don't think they should throw too much money at a 35 year old shooting guard. He may have some serviceable years left but we have a couple young pieces at SG already that need the playing time. I don't think he'd fit in with this group of guys.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ray Allen is a "finisher" piece for a championship contender...like a Grant Hill.

The Raptors are not that team and getting an Allen adds nothing from team building perspective.

Raptors Republic Rookie TM Williamson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Ray Allen is a "finisher" piece for a championship contender...like a Grant Hill.

The Raptors are not that team and getting an Allen adds nothing from team building perspective.
    Agreed. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't address any of the Raptors areas of weakness.

I'd rather spend the MLE on someone who can defend or rebound, or both. Last I checked we were pretty stocked in the shooting department.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Ray ALlen has fallen off the last couple of years. If it weren't for the big playoffs, so far, Allen would be a lot lower on people's list. I don't like this idea, at all. It smacks of desperation. Ray Allen has a lot of mileage, isn't nearly the defender he used to be and may be ready to fall off a cliff, in terms of production. This is just what Cleveland tried to do. Simply try to get by year by year, instead of having a long term plan.

Nope, don't like it at all.
    Since he has been with Boston

2007-08 - mpg36--ppg17.4
    2008-09 - mpg36--ppg18.2
    2009-10 - mpg35--ppg16.3

Yes he had a decline this year but not that much compared to his first year with Boston.

I agree that the Raptors shouldn't sign him unless they get him for less than the full MLE for three years with the third year a team option.

However, I think that there is good chance he will get more than the full MLE and the Raptors should not go there.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri May 14th, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad idea. I don't like it. Specially since, the only way
    to get him would be to throw much more money at him
    than anybody else.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray's a consumate pro. We'd be lucky to have a guy like that on our team. He's still very productive and a dead-eye shooter. Not to mention that he ices his free throws. I think he'd want to sign with a contending team however.

Post Thanks / Like

I would sign him in a heart beat even at 35. Ray has never been about athleticism. He will be able to knock down shots at 40. My only concern would be him staying in front of his man. If they feel he will be able to do that at 36 and 37 then I'm on board. I do feel he will probably land on a legit contender but stranger things have happened.

I think obvious choices for him would be coming off the bench in L.A. and Orlando but I would not discredit a team like the Jazz or even the Thunder.

Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like how Smith made his "If I were GM" statement about giving Ray-Ray the full MLE and immediately second-guessed the logic of it by realizing that it would leave the Raps unable to sign any additional FA to further improve the team - especially if we get nothing in return for Bosh.

I'll add that signing Ray-Ray to the full MLE would be the equivalent of BC giving Jason Kapono the full MLE in 2007.

As such, I don't agree with Doug.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    A) I think he'd rather sign with a contender.

B) I don't think they should throw too much money at a 35 year old shooting guard. He may have some serviceable years left but we have a couple young pieces at SG already that need the playing time. I don't think he'd fit in with this group of guys.
    they did it to dell curry if i don't recall...?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter Dark Knight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes please to Jesus Shuttlesworth.
    "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Post Thanks / Like

He'd be great here. He's held up well but singing him for 3 years is risky. I think this would be almost a last resort signing for both the Raptors and Ray.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This would be a ridiculous move. No way this should happen. Having a 38-year old RayRay on the team is not going to do anyone any favours.

The Raptors need to look at what the Toronto Blue Jays are doing. Stockpiling young talent, getting out from under huge salary commitments, one baby step at a time. It'll take a few years to undo the mess, but the team will be much better off for it in the long run.

Acquiring and overpaying veteran players and crossing our fingers that they have some gas left in the tank (O'Neal, Marion, Hedo) and giving huge extensions on not-completely-proven players (Bargnani, Calderon) is making Bryan Colangelo start to look more like J. P. Ricciardi than a respectable NBA GM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe you guys are OK with guying him the MLE. What do you think he could possibly bring to a team that is gutted defensively? He's effective in Boston because he's turned into option #3 or #4 on a very good defensive team. This will be nothing but disaster, we should learn our lesson and not sign has-beens anymore.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I can't believe you guys are OK with guying him the MLE.
    Me either. It boggles the mind. This is a terrible idea.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me a little of the Simpsons episode where Lisa creates a test for mice where if they try and touch the cheese, they get a shock. They learn very quickly not to touch the cheese. Homer comes by and keeps getting shocked because "this time" it won't shock him.

Thread Information