Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Were The Raptors Watching The Celtics Play Defense Today?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Were The Raptors Watching The Celtics Play Defense Today?

    Maybe Triano should spend a week at the beginning of training camp showing the Raptors players how the Celtics and even Magic play defense. I don't know how much it would help but it wouldn't hurt.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hahahaahahahaha OF COURSE NOT!

    raptors are allergic to defense

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Maybe Triano should spend a week at the beginning of training camp showing the Raptors players how the Celtics and even Magic play defense. I don't know how much it would help but it wouldn't hurt.
    No need. The Raps experienced that defense first-hand four times this year (or was it six?) and obviously learned nothing.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie A00715890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We dont have the players to Play defense aside from Bargs, Weems, amir and maybe derozan....

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter OzRapFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote A00715890 wrote: View Post
    We dont have the players to Play defense aside from Bargs, Weems, amir and maybe derozan....
    Bargs??? Defence??? PLEASE.

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...nsive-team.php

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OzRapFan wrote: View Post
    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie A00715890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OzRapFan wrote: View Post
    how many raptors game did you watch this season?

    hes the best one on one post defender we got...amir is really close...but bargs can hold his own..

    his help side defense is pretty bad, but compared to rest of our bigs...he looks like howard...but that help defense has much to do with team chemesty and bball iq....he can get better at it...

    btw, that list is a joke...i would take flynn over jose (or even derek fisher) any day of the week on defense....

    when it come to starting centers, guys like lee, al jefferson are wayy worse...

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As much as I hate Celtics, I hate Magic more . I just don't want Carter to get a ring. I just hope Celtics defense will do the job and eliminate Magic.
    Regarding Raptors: I don't understand why people believe that Raptors can't play defense. When Raptors are committed to play defense, they can be a pest. Unfortunately, Jay couldn't maintain the accountability on defense end after All-Star break, Raptors just became lazy. Raptors could do it for most of the games between begin of December and All-Star break. Raptors won against Lakers & Dallas using very good defensive games. Is just that Raptors has a on/off switch which is to easy to be turned off.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie Trapaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    *singing*

    Hey! Let's get our energy going on the defensive end...

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote A00715890 wrote: View Post
    how many raptors game did you watch this season?

    hes the best one on one post defender we got...amir is really close...but bargs can hold his own..

    his help side defense is pretty bad, but compared to rest of our bigs...he looks like howard...but that help defense has much to do with team chemesty and bball iq....he can get better at it...

    btw, that list is a joke...i would take flynn over jose (or even derek fisher) any day of the week on defense....

    when it come to starting centers, guys like lee, al jefferson are wayy worse...
    Overall, Bargnani is the worst defending big man on the Raptors. Yes, he's pretty good at post defense, much of the time. But his inability to understand basic team defense is a killer, and has absolutely nothing to do with anything but his low basketball IQ, which is astounding because he's played in the NBA for 4 years, already. And without good team defense, your team will never be good defensively. To say that Bargnani has the ability to play defense like the Celtics either shows a gross misunderstanding of how the Celtics play defense, or a vast overestimation of Bargnani's defensive abilities.

    Can he get better at it? Sure. Bosh COULD turn into the defensive player of the year, but logic dictates that's not going to happen.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote A00715890 wrote: View Post
    how many raptors game did you watch this season?

    hes the best one on one post defender we got...amir is really close...but bargs can hold his own..

    his help side defense is pretty bad, but compared to rest of our bigs...he looks like howard...but that help defense has much to do with team chemesty and bball iq....he can get better at it...

    btw, that list is a joke...i would take flynn over jose (or even derek fisher) any day of the week on defense....

    when it come to starting centers, guys like lee, al jefferson are wayy worse...
    Big Dawg is the best help defender on the Raptors and one of the best in the NBA and that ain't no BS, straight up.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Overall, Bargnani is the worst defending big man on the Raptors. Yes, he's pretty good at post defense, much of the time. But his inability to understand basic team defense is a killer, and has absolutely nothing to do with anything but his low basketball IQ, which is astounding because he's played in the NBA for 4 years, already. And without good team defense, your team will never be good defensively. To say that Bargnani has the ability to play defense like the Celtics either shows a gross misunderstanding of how the Celtics play defense, or a vast overestimation of Bargnani's defensive abilities.

    Can he get better at it? Sure. Bosh COULD turn into the defensive player of the year, but logic dictates that's not going to happen.
    The problem is Raptors didn't have a team defense strategy after All-Star break and for this you can blame the coaching staff (Triano and Iavaroni). When Raptors played good (between beginning of December and All-Star break), the Raptors defense worked quite well and Bargnani was a big factor in defense. Just fire Triano and get someone who can handle the NBA egos.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote insight_tor wrote: View Post
    The problem is Raptors didn't have a team defense strategy after All-Star break and for this you can blame the coaching staff (Triano and Iavaroni). When Raptors played good (between beginning of December and All-Star break), the Raptors defense worked quite well and Bargnani was a big factor in defense. Just fire Triano and get someone who can handle the NBA egos.
    No, the Raptors DID have a team defense strategy, they just had poor team defenders. Was the strategy great? No, but you guys have to stop blaming the coaching staff for the shortcomings of the players. No strategy is going to make this group look good. Period. When your center doesn't even understand basic defensive rotations, you're in trouble. You simply can't hide that. If Bosh and Turkoglu were all world defenders, you can limit his negative impact on that end of the floor, but we all know that neither Bosh nor Turkoglu were anywhere close to all world defenders.

    And if egos are that much of a problem, I'd say get different players, because you're never going to win with player's like that.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie TM Williamson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bargnani's team defense is not just bad, it's absolutely ATROCIOUS. He is a capable one on one defender in the post, but when your guards get blown by regularly (as the Raptors do), you need someone down low that understand team defense.

    As Tim W. just pointed out, if we had some capable wing/perimeter defenders, it would be easier to hide a center that gets lost defensively. But with our current personnel on the perimeter, there has to be effective help, and that was totally missing this season.

    Some of the blame certainly falls on the coaching staff, who were unable figure out a way to be even half decent defensively (isn't that supposed to be Iavaroni's specialty?), and couldn't get the idea of team defense into Andrea's head. But the bottom line is that the personnel isn't there to be effective defensively. Our best defensive players would be considered average at best on a league wide scale, and as has already been pointed out, our worst defensive players were among the league's worst. The Raptors could have the best defensive system possible, and give 100% effort at all times, and they would still be a below average defensive team with the players they currently have.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •