Shaq to the Nets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaq to the Nets?

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers free agent center Shaquille O'Neal, a Newark native, told The Post he would consider the Nets as a destination this summer -- intrigued because they now reside in his hometown.

O'Neal, the Cavs "other" free agent, praised the new Prudential Center as being an NBA hotspot and said he would rather them not move to Brooklyn in 2013.

"I think it's better than most arenas, I think it's one of the best arenas in the country," O'Neal told The Post following the Cavaliers' stunning second-round elimination against Boston on Thursday night. "Hopefully they can stay there forever. I don't know what's going on with the Brooklyn situation, but it says a lot for the city of Newark."
    Nevertheless, the 350-pound O'Neal could make a good backup center to young Brook Lopez and show him the ropes as he nears retirement.

"I've got a lot of options," O'Neal said. "We'll just see. I still got to sit down and look at all my options. I don't want to comment on [the Nets]. It's too early."

But Shaq, at 38 the NBA's oldest active player, wants to keep playing a few more years.

"Of course. I missed 360 games due to injury in my career so by my calculations I still have 3.7 years left," O'Neal said. "That means I'm going to play until I'm 41. I've missed a lot of games, so I still feel I can play."
    NYpost.com

Personally, I think he's just saying the right thing. That fact that he finished with "I've got a lot of options" says it all. The Nets will be greatly improved next season for sure but I don't think they will be contenders, given all the young guns. I think he should go to Utah and play in the Jazz half court system but what do I know?

The fact that he wants to play until he's 41 is interesting. Time to go buy a copy of P90X, Shaq. Time to lay off the cheese burgers too, no doubt.

Why would any team want him, let alone a team that doesn't plan on winning a lot of games? Has he ever left a team on good terms before Cleveland? And he's only been in Cleveland for a year, and they ended up underperforming badly in the playoffs. Is that the kind of guy you want on a rebuilding team? On second thought is that the kind of guy you want on any team?

I think Shaq, Iverson and Marbury should start a team together. They can call themselves the Reality Checks.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

There will be multiple teams courting Shaq. I think you can take that to the bank.

Comment

Working...
      X