Retire #15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retire #15

Vince Carter is the greatest Raptor Ever. Regardless if he wasn't trying in the end.

Maybe so, but if the fans reaction when he comes back is any indication on whether or not it will happen, I'll put money on that it will never be hung from the rafters.

Many might not agree with me, but I think Bosh will leave more of a legacy with this franchise than Vince did. He not might of taken the Raptors as far as Vince did that one year in the playoffs, but the way VC left has permanently tarnished his reputation for life here.

Comment

It may never hang up there. If it does I will guarantee that 4 goes up before 15...Forgive me if I don't buy this latest V.C...B.S that he knows something that will change everyone's mind and opinion. I will store that one away with "Dunking is OVERRATED". I wrote in depth in my blog on this topic and the guys here posted a link to it so go check it out if you want the long version. More about the fans booing him actually. Anyway I pity Vince for what he could and should have been be it here it T.O or elsewhere.

Comment

"Many might not agree with me, but I think Bosh will leave more of a legacy with this franchise than Vince did. He not might of taken the Raptors as far as Vince did that one year in the playoffs, but the way VC left has permanently tarnished his reputation for life here."
        Absolutely agree with you.
        http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Comment

No way. Until the Raps win a title - and only until then - they shouldn't retire anybody's number. If they want to honor VC after his career's over, okay. If they want to have a Bosh tribute night, fine.

But nobody has yet provided the Raptors with the kind of lasting impact that deserves retiring a number. Not VC, not Damon and not Bosh.

Comment

Definitely not

Vince wasn't with the Raptors long enough (six seasons) and didn't achieve enough in the short time he was here (only three winning seasons + only one playoff series victory + two All-NBA selections) to warrant retiring his jersey.
            nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
              Definitely not

Vince wasn't with the Raptors long enough (six seasons) and didn't achieve enough in the short time he was here (only three winning seasons + only one playoff series victory + two All-NBA selections) to warrant retiring his jersey.
              And don't forget the best dunk competition likely we'll ever see in this lifetime.

Comment

NO WAY!

Now if he'd taken the Raps to the EC Finals, then it would have to be considered. But he didn't!
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

2mrw2day wrote: View Post
                  Vince Carter is the greatest Raptor Ever. Regardless if he wasn't trying in the end.
                  http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Retired_Numbers

That's the list of retired numbers. You read up on those players and their contributions to the teams that retired their numbers and then come back here and try to argue for Vince. Good luck to you. I bet you don't get past the first couple teams without getting the point I am making.

Being the best player on a mediocre franchise isn't enough. If what Vince did in Toronto is not worthy enough to get him into the Hall then why is it worthy to get him enshrined in Toronto? What sort of precident does that set for the future should the Raptors start building successful teams? I know the players would have 98 numbers to choose from but still...
                  Last edited by Apollo; Tue Nov 24, 2009, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Retired_Numbers

That's the list of retired numbers. You read up on those players and their contributions to the teams that retired their numbers and then come back here and try to argue for Vince. Good luck to you. I bet you don't get past the first couple teams without getting the point I am making.

Best the best player on a mediocre franchise isn't enough. If what Vince did in Toronto is not worthy enough to get him into the Hall then why is it worthy to get him enshrined in Toronto? What sort of precident does that set for the future should the Raptors start building successful teams? I know the players would have 98 numbers to choose from but still...
                    Well put Apollo and thanks for the link. That's a great reference tool.

Your absolutely right regarding Vince too. Had he done more and taken this team further like say the NBA Finals, then this discussion might not be up for debate. But, you can love him all you like but what he did do for those 6 years definitely doesn't warrant his number hanging from the rafters.

Oh, and an official welcome is in order for Apollo too. Welcome old friend.

Comment

Thanks Doc. I will stop by from time to time to help set the record straight on topics such as this.

Comment

Retire Vince, eh? I'm not sure about it, retiring a guy whose main accomplishment is winning a first round series seems flaky. Then again he was the best Raptor ever, but since he can't get himself a proper appreciation day ahead of Bonner, I gotta say it ain't happening.

I think if you had asked me this question last year I probably would've said yes, but after what happened this year, the bridge has officially been burned and blown apart.

Comment

Working...
                        X