Good Ole Vince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Ole Vince

I’ve been holding myself back from commenting on Vince Carter’s latest ‘writhing on the floor like he’d been shot’ moment ... but I just can’t not bring it up. If you saw it, you know. It was too good ... and so ‘Vince’.

Reading Bill Simmons’ account of the Celtics at Orlando the other night -- who almost always makes me laugh -- I thought a ‘copy and paste’ was in order ...

7:15: After Garnett's jumper puts Boston up by five, Vince Carter (12 points, 3-for-10 shooting so far) explicably collapses while running down the floor. (I say explicably because it's always explicable when Vince Carter decides to fall down in a heap. It's not like anyone would ever say, "My God, what just happened! Vince Carter fell down!") I had 5:37 of the third quarter in ESPN.com's "When will Vince be writhing on the floor in pain?" office pool. Did I win? Dammit! David Thorpe was closer. He had 6:38. So close.

7:15: Vince continues to writhe in pain.

7:15: Still writhing.

7:15: Vince heroically stands up, then bends over trying to regroup. Who's getting a bigger kick out of this -- Raptors fans or Nets fans?

(and then ... )

5:59: Down six, Vince heroically returns to the game (Mike Breen: "Sigh of relief from the Magic fans") while of course massaging his left wrist to remind everyone that, "Hey, if I suck for the rest of this game, just remember, I'm hurt." This is why he's Vince Carter.
    (Note: This is why ESPN could never make me the third announcer of a three-man NBA booth, even though I'd be absolutely fantastic and a hero to Richard Deitsch, Richard Sandomir, Neil Best and even that lovable crank Phil Mushnick ... I just wouldn't be able to hold my tongue in spots like this. If Breen said, "Sigh of relief from the Magic fans," I'd HAVE to retort, "Sigh of relief? You really thought he was hurt, Breenie? He's Vince Carter! You can't possibly think he was really hurt!!!!! Have you not WATCHED Vince Carter????")

(and finally ... )

0:34: Closeup of Vince walking back out onto the court as Breen sets the stage: "Vince Carter, an eight-time All-Star, all-NBA player, this is first conference finals that he's played in ... and these are the moments we said that he was acquired for ..."

0:31: Great play call by Orlando, forcing Boston to switch off a double-screen so Davis is defending Vince atop the key. Vince beats him off the dribble, barrels into Pierce and forces Pierce's sixth foul. Couldn't have worked out better. You know, assuming he makes these free throws. Which he should: 80 percent career, 84 percent this season, 82 percent in the playoffs.

0:31: Front of the rim ... off.

0:31: Closeup of Vince with a vacant look as every Magic fan gets Nick Anderson flashbacks.

0:31: Back rim, clang.

Rebound, Davis. Timeout, Boston. Vince walks back to the bench with his head down.

Quick tangent: This was one of my greatest Blackberry moments ever. I refreshed it at 34 seconds, then saw three seconds elapsed but it was now Boston ball, then noticed ...

0:31: Vince Carter missed 1 of 2 free throws.

0:31: Vince Carter missed 2 of 2 free throws.
    ... and did a silent fist pump. My least favorite NBA player gakking in the biggest moment of the series against my favorite team? I felt like pouring champagne on myself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nba

Good ole Vince.

Classic Bill Simmons.. that guy is hilarious!

I would actually love to hear him broadcast a game

Comment

If anyone can find/post video footage of that...oh how that would make my day.

Comment

ws511 wrote: View Post
        I’ve been holding myself back from commenting on Vince Carter’s latest ‘writhing on the floor like he’d been shot’ moment ... but I just can’t not bring it up. If you saw it, you know. It was too good ... and so ‘Vince’.

Reading Bill Simmons’ account of the Celtics at Orlando the other night -- who almost always makes me laugh -- I thought a ‘copy and paste’ was in order ...

7:15: After Garnett's jumper puts Boston up by five, Vince Carter (12 points, 3-for-10 shooting so far) explicably collapses while running down the floor. (I say explicably because it's always explicable when Vince Carter decides to fall down in a heap. It's not like anyone would ever say, "My God, what just happened! Vince Carter fell down!") I had 5:37 of the third quarter in ESPN.com's "When will Vince be writhing on the floor in pain?" office pool. Did I win? Dammit! David Thorpe was closer. He had 6:38. So close.

7:15: Vince continues to writhe in pain.

7:15: Still writhing.

7:15: Vince heroically stands up, then bends over trying to regroup. Who's getting a bigger kick out of this -- Raptors fans or Nets fans?

(and then ... )

5:59: Down six, Vince heroically returns to the game (Mike Breen: "Sigh of relief from the Magic fans") while of course massaging his left wrist to remind everyone that, "Hey, if I suck for the rest of this game, just remember, I'm hurt." This is why he's Vince Carter.
        (Note: This is why ESPN could never make me the third announcer of a three-man NBA booth, even though I'd be absolutely fantastic and a hero to Richard Deitsch, Richard Sandomir, Neil Best and even that lovable crank Phil Mushnick ... I just wouldn't be able to hold my tongue in spots like this. If Breen said, "Sigh of relief from the Magic fans," I'd HAVE to retort, "Sigh of relief? You really thought he was hurt, Breenie? He's Vince Carter! You can't possibly think he was really hurt!!!!! Have you not WATCHED Vince Carter????")

(and finally ... )

0:34: Closeup of Vince walking back out onto the court as Breen sets the stage: "Vince Carter, an eight-time All-Star, all-NBA player, this is first conference finals that he's played in ... and these are the moments we said that he was acquired for ..."

0:31: Great play call by Orlando, forcing Boston to switch off a double-screen so Davis is defending Vince atop the key. Vince beats him off the dribble, barrels into Pierce and forces Pierce's sixth foul. Couldn't have worked out better. You know, assuming he makes these free throws. Which he should: 80 percent career, 84 percent this season, 82 percent in the playoffs.

0:31: Front of the rim ... off.

0:31: Closeup of Vince with a vacant look as every Magic fan gets Nick Anderson flashbacks.

0:31: Back rim, clang.

Rebound, Davis. Timeout, Boston. Vince walks back to the bench with his head down.

Quick tangent: This was one of my greatest Blackberry moments ever. I refreshed it at 34 seconds, then saw three seconds elapsed but it was now Boston ball, then noticed ...

0:31: Vince Carter missed 1 of 2 free throws.

0:31: Vince Carter missed 2 of 2 free throws.
        ... and did a silent fist pump. My least favorite NBA player gakking in the biggest moment of the series against my favorite team? I felt like pouring champagne on myself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=nba

Good ole Vince.
        hahaha google his "letter to to the good people of Toronto from vince carter" its hilarious.

Comment

Simmons is always hilarious. His "First-annual Atrocious GM Summit" is a classic (although as a Raptor fan I never know if I should laugh or cry during the Rob Babcock segments). If you've never read it, check it here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/060224

What I noticed with the latest "Wince miraculously cheating death episode" was how so many fans and announcers still buy into his act. I have to confess that when he was still our beloved "half man, half amazing" I used to tell friends that some people have low pain thresholds - maybe Vince is one of those people. Then when he was first traded to Jersey I'd laugh at the Nets' fans and announcers gasping in fear when Vince went down, certain that his career was probably over as no one could overcome an injury causing that much pain. Then they'd cheer wildly when a few minutes later, Carter gamely re-entered the game. Now we're seeing it all over again in Orlando. You'd think every NBA fan and announcer would know the act by heart now.

Comment

I was howling while watching it all unfold: He fell more on the right side and hand, then, as he sort of rolled to the other side, he steadied himself with his left, with no more force on it or bending of the wrist (like, at ALL) than if you were just using your left hand to push yourself back up to a standing position ... but instead of standing, he proceeded to lay on top of his left hand, pointing to it with his right ... and when he finally got up, he was hunched over, holding it down near his middle, as gingerly as if it’d been broken in two or three places, while the trainer steadied him with both hands, holding him on each side as they walked to the bench.

The missus couldn’t understand why I was howling and carrying on as I was ... until I told her to wait, ‘cause he’d be back in five minutes, guaranteed.

She was skeptical ... until I called out to her, “guess who’s back in the game?”

She asked, “did he ever do anything like that when he was with the Raptors?”

I just laughed ... and said "maybe once or twice."

I didn’t bother to add, “ ... a week.” But I was thinking it.
            Last edited by ws511; Thu May 20, 2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

The best Wince episode is when he left a game after Mutombo supposedly elbowed or smacked him across the head and he said he was in pain and dizzy, etc. And the replays clearly showed that the hand either brushed him or missed his face altogether...and when a reporter brought it up post game that the replays showed it missed VC got angry and said ' i know what i felt...'....lol..
              poor VC..

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                hahaha google his "letter to to the good people of Toronto from vince carter" its hilarious.
                I Googled (and read the letter - hadn’t seen it before) ... and then came across another Bill Simmons article from last month (that I also missed, somehow) that featured Vince.

Thought it worthy of another ‘copy and paste’. (This is just a section of the article, the part that talks about Vince.)

I can prove that you can't win four straight playoff series by relying on Vince Carter

You know why? Because he's Vince Carter! Ask the Nets' fans about him. Ask the Raptors' fans about him. They know.

I can prove that Magic fans just muttered to themselves, "We don't need to rely on Vince to win four straight series -- we had a +12.2 point differential after the All-Star break, you jackass."

`My counter to your muttering: Where are you going in the last three minutes of a tight game? Last spring, you cleared out for Hedo and let him create shots for himself or someone else. Worked all the way to the Finals. What about this spring? Dwight Howard takes 10 shots a game and disappears down the stretch. According to 82games.com, Howard averaged 16.0 crunch-time points per 48 minutes, such a staggeringly low number that Al Horford (17.0) and Udonis Haslem (23.9) topped him, Andrew Bogut (16.0) tied him and Joakim Noah (15.6) nearly tied him. And that's fine. He was still the third-most valuable player in the league. (At least in my opinion.) But you can't win in the playoffs without someone creating quality shots in the last four minutes.

So where's it coming from? Jameer Nelson has slipped since his shoulder injury last season. Lewis' numbers have fallen off without Turkoglu. That leaves Vince. Is anyone buying this? What happens the first time someone gives him a hard playoff foul on a drive? What happens if he tweaks his ankle and has to play through pain? What happens if he has menstrual cramps? (Jokes! I'm joking. Stop it. Settle down.) What happens (hypothetically) in a Game 6 in Charlotte or Atlanta, with Orlando trailing three games to two and facing a giant upset, tie game, two minutes to play, win or go home? Who gets the ball? Who takes over? Who is everyone looking at and saying, "Save us?" That's right … Vince Carter. The most disappointing superstar of his generation.

You might be an optimist. You might believe in redemption. You might believe that, after A-Rod, Manning, Duke and Kobe, the thought of Vince Carter being the top creator on an NBA champ isn't far-fetched.

I am a pessimist. At least when Vince is involved. Even though he's playing for his most talented team ever, I can prove he will destroy them in the end. Why? Because he's Vince Carter. Did you miss the past 12 years or something? Why do you think Orlando got him for 20 cents on the dollar? Why do you think Toronto fans still jeer him lustily even though he left six years ago? Why do you think Kidd pushed for a trade to Dallas? Orlando fans, remember we had this conversation when there's a big playoff game in a few weeks and Vince is rolling around on the floor like he's been shot as you're screaming, "Get up! GET UP, VINCE! HE BARELY FOULED YOU! IT'S GAME 7! GET THE EFF UP!!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...6&sportCat=nba

Comment

hahahaha i miss Feschuck

Comment

I am sure somewhere in cyberspace in another forum someone in Orlando has a topic laughing on the Raptors for paying so much for Hedo.

To each his own.

Comment

"The most disappointing superstar of his generation". Ouch. That's a wrap.

Comment

Working...
                      X