Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sixers "Open" to Trading 2nd pick with Brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70. What is the Traded Player exception?

As described in question number 69, exceptions are the mechanisms that allow teams to function above the salary cap. Any trade which results in the team ending up over the salary cap requires an exception. This is true even if the team is moving downward in salary. For example, if the salary cap is $50 million, a team has a team salary of $55 million, and they want to trade a $5 million player for a $4 million player, they still have to use an exception. Even though their team salary would be decreasing by $1 million, the fact that they would still be over the salary cap ($54 million) means that an exception is required.

The Traded Player exception is the primary means used by teams over the cap for completing trades. It allows teams to make trades that leave them over the cap, but it places several restrictions on those trades. Trades using the Traded Player exception are classified into two categories: simultaneous and non-simultaneous. As its name suggests, a simultaneous trade takes place all at once. Teams can acquire up to 125% plus $100,000 of the salaries they are trading in a simultaneous trade. For example, a team trading a $5 million player in a simultaneous trade can receive one or more players whose salary is no more than 125% of $5 million, plus $100,000, or $6.35 million in return.
    A non-simultaneous trade may take up to a year to complete, but the team can only trade away one player, and can receive no more than $100,000 more than the salary they trade away. Non-simultaneous trades are described in question number 71.

In short:

* A simultaneous trade gives the team more money but less time
    * A non-simultaneous trade gives the team more time but less money.

It is important to view a trade from each team's perspective separately, rather than as a single, unified transaction. This is because the same trade may be organized differently according to each team's needs. For example, a trade might be classified as a simultaneous trade from one team's perspective, but from the other team's perspective it's actually broken into two trades, one simultaneous and the other non-simultaneous (completing a trade they made months earlier).

There are several restrictions on trades (either simultaneous or non-simultaneous) which are described in other questions in this FAQ. These include Base Year Compensation (question numbers 75, 76 and 77), sign-and-trade (question numbers 78, 79, 80 and 81), including cash in trades (question number 82), trading draft picks (question number 73), trade bonuses (question numbers 85 and 86), and no-trade provisions (question number 87). In addition, performance incentives can complicate trades (question number 63).

71. What is a non-simultaneous trade?

In some cases, teams have up to one year to acquire the replacement player(s) to complete a trade. These trades are considered non-simultaneous trades. In a non-simultaneous trade, a team can only acquire up to 100% plus $100,000 of the salary it gives up (as opposed to 125% plus $100,000 in a simultaneous trade). A trade in which more than one player is traded away can only be simultaneous; non-simultaneous trades are allowed only when a single player is traded away (although teams can sometimes find ways to configure multi-player trades as multiple single-player trades which are non-simultaneous).
    The combined salaries of Brand and the #2 pick in 2010-11 would be $16.0 + $3.8 or about $19.8 million. The combined salaries of Calderon and the #13 pick would be ($9.0 + $1.6) or $10.6 million which is a net add to the Raptors of $9.2 million.

The Raptors current 2010-11 cap hold is $67.0 million. The expected cap for 2010-11 is now $56.1 million. In order for the Raptors to get below the cap they would have renounce their rights to Bosh. They could still do a sign and trade with him even if they renounced their rights to him. However, they could not then resign him.

This means that BC would have to basically give up the idea of signing Bosh and keeping him in order to get below the cap

If BC renounces the rights to Bosh the Raptors cap hold drops to $49.4 including Johnson's salary of the $3.6 million remains as part of the cap hold unless the Raptors renounce their rights to him which I seriously doubt that they will do because then they can not resign him even with the MLE.

34. Can the renouncement be renounced? In other words, can a team un-renounce a player and then sign him using a Bird exception?

Only in one specific circumstance -- when they renounce one or more of their players in order to create enough cap room to sign another team's restricted free agent, but the restricted free agent's original team matches the offer sheet and keeps him. If that happens, the team can rescind the renouncement. There are a couple exceptions to this -- they can't rescind a renouncement if doing so takes them from below the salary cap to above it; or if they are above the cap and rescinding the renouncement takes them farther above the cap than they were before the renouncement.

See question number 36 for more information on restricted free agency.
    So the Raptors cap hold will be at approximately $50.0 million including Johnson's salary. The trade proposed above would add $9.2 million to that and bring the Raptors salary cap hold up to $59.2 million (after having renounced the rights to Bosh).

This means that after the proposed trade with Philly unless the Raptors renounce their rights to Bosh they will be over the salary cap which will require that the difference in the salary that they are taking on is no more than 125% + $100,000 of the salary which they are giving up, which would not be the case here. Therefore I think that this trade as proposed would only work if the Raptors renounced their rights to both Bosh and Johnson.

So the Calderon and 14th pick for Brand and the 2nd pick will not work according to the cap rules unless the Raptors say buy out Evans or Banks and renounce their rights to them and they sign with another team or retire along with renouncing their rights to Bosh and Johnson.

If the Calderon plus the 14th pick for Brand and the 2nd pick won't work, all the more so replacing Calderon with Jack won't work because Jack makes less money and this trade would fall even more outside the 125% + $100,000 difference.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q34

I want to give a shout out to Tim W and thank him for nudging me to go the CBA FAQ rules which refreshed my memory on the trading rules and even added some new knowledge as a result of putting together this post. Hat tip to Tim W.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddhafan,

My god, you seem to have some extra time on your hands the last couple of days. Between this and stats pulled for college PGs, you're turning into an expert.

The trades I mentioned would be after doing a sign and trade for Bosh with someone like Miami, New York or Chicago, who have cap room, so the Raptors would end up with a trade exception they could use for Brand. If Bosh doesn't leave, then obviously the salaries have to be closer. Jack, Evans, Banks and the 13th pick, for example. That would match Brand's salary close enough to do it.

Marz wrote: View Post
      It's one (DeRozan) or the other (13th pick). My post earlier was just to show how salaries worked out. It would most likely require a draft pick switcheroo. If they want DeRozan then we keep our 13th pick.
      I agree. I just wanted to throw that out there to see what people thought.

A lot depends on whether or not it is true, and if it is, how desperate Philly is to unload Brand. Also, what the other bids are. That's the thing, you have to realize that other teams may want Evans, as well.

YKOil wrote: View Post
      Dallas has the best shot at this deal (with Dampiers contract).

Toronto would have to use Evans, Bank, Belli & the 13th to have a shot at it.

And I would do that deal.

Another route the Raptors could go would be that of picking up an expiring in a Calderon/Turks or Bosh trade and then using that in some sort of combo with Banks et al.
      It all depends on whether Dallas wants Evans. They may not if they feel they want to win, now. They also don't have any young talent to throw back at Philadelphia, which the Raptors do, as well as the 13th pick. I'm obviously a fan of Belinelli, but if they'd do that trade, I'd be thrilled.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Buddhafan,

My god, you seem to have some extra time on your hands the last couple of days. Between this and stats pulled for college PGs, you're turning into an expert.

The trades I mentioned would be after doing a sign and trade for Bosh with someone like Miami, New York or Chicago, who have cap room, so the Raptors would end up with a trade exception they could use for Brand. If Bosh doesn't leave, then obviously the salaries have to be closer. Jack, Evans, Banks and the 13th pick, for example. That would match Brand's salary close enough to do it.

I agree. I just wanted to throw that out there to see what people thought.

A lot depends on whether or not it is true, and if it is, how desperate Philly is to unload Brand. Also, what the other bids are. That's the thing, you have to realize that other teams may want Evans, as well.

It all depends on whether Dallas wants Evans. They may not if they feel they want to win, now. They also don't have any young talent to throw back at Philadelphia, which the Raptors do, as well as the 13th pick. I'm obviously a fan of Belinelli, but if they'd do that trade, I'd be thrilled.
        Tim W.

With all due respect to your high level of creativeness I'll pass on commenting on this long and winding road of what-if hypotheticals. You have created a lot more alternatives that depend on a sequence of events happening the chances of which are about as high as Bargnani being named to the NBA all defense 1st team in 2010-11 However my friend you definitely get a "A" for effort and creativity

P.S. I am retired and the majority of my time during the day time is spent on my computers primarily with sports (mostly hoops), politics and high tech because I love computers, high tech and politics and I am a hoops junkie. I watched both day #1 and day #2 of the pre-draft camp yesterday and today. Great and fun stuff.

I developed a lot of respect for Len Elmore after listening to his comments the last two days. I would love to sit down with him a few hours and talk hoops, Make that maybe the entire afternoon
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri May 21, 2010, 11:50 PM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddhafan,

I'm nothing if not creative! I don't if it's a long a winding road of hypotheticals. Just two- if Bosh is sign-and-traded and if he is not. In other words, if the Raptors get a trade exception and if they don't.

And nothing has as low a chance as Bargnani has of making the All-Defensive team next year.

By the way, what are you retired from, if you don't mind me asking?

And for a moment, I thought you were talking about Elmore Leonard. I thought you'd completely changed subjects there.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
          X