X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bozell Column: A Global Sports Problem

By Brent Bozell (Bio | Archive)
    Sat, 05/22/2010 - 08:09 ET

The 2010 World Cup opens in South Africa in a few weeks. As a sports event it is unrivaled in its popularity. It promises to bring a half-million soccer fans to that country.

But it will also draw out the worst of the worst. The Christian Science Monitor reports that the economic promise of an expected half a million largely male incoming consumers is attracting a massive influx of prostitutes from across the border in Zimbabwe. Hotel managers are guessing that as many as 40,000 ladies of the evening are assembling from as far away as Hong Kong, Pakistan, and Venezuela.

This is not the first time this unholy amalgam of sports and the sex trade has materialized. Evidence shows this to be the norm.

The last World Cup competition four years ago in Germany, where prostitution and brothels are legal and tax revenue-generating, attracted thousands of “sex workers” to exploit the crowds. It made a dirty joke out of the tournament motto “A time to make friends.”
    Earlier this year, Vancouver prepared for an influx of prostitutes at the Winter Olympics in a very Canadian way. While the press fussed at the city pressing the homeless people out of visible spaces, the city police made a verbal promise not to arrest or displace prostitutes “for the sake of public image.”

Out-of-town whores, yes; homeless locals, no.

In Vancouver, sexual cynicism was all the rage. An advocacy group called “SafeGames 2010” passed out “SafeKits” including condoms, informational phone numbers, a guide to Vancouver's legal avenues of prostitution, and “etiquette tips” for their clients. Be polite while conducting your business transaction.

cont. on link

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-b...sports-problem
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat May 22, 2010, 03:02 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

40,000? From some of the reports I have seen there'll be a slashing of rates cause the overall attendance figures look bleak.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      40,000? From some of the reports I have seen there'll be a slashing of rates cause the overall attendance figures look bleak.
      South Africa is the HIV capital of the world.

Trusting that ho's are clean is at best a very risking decision.

How anyone could use one in South Africa especially during the World Cup is amazing. Well, maybe not. A lot of guys do stupid things for a piece of talent.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
      X