What If BC Lets Bosh Walk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If BC Lets Bosh Walk?

The gut reaction is that this would be dumb. However read on and offer you comments including "dumb" on what the Raptors could do with their new found $13.7 million in cap space including possible trades, free agent signings, plus three draft picks next month
    ---------------------------------------------

If Bosh walks and is renounced ($63.4 – $17.1) the Raptors will be down to $46.3 in cap hold million plus Johnson. Let us say that BC can get Johnson to sign a deal where his salary in 2010-11 was the same as 2009-10 or about $3.6 million. So now the Raptors are up to $50.0 million vs a salary cap of $56.1 million.

Now you have Reggie at $5.1 and Banks at $4.8. Let us say through some slight of hand that BC can move both of these guys for draft picks.

For example Atlanta is under the cap and has the 24th pick. So they will take Reggie for their #24th pick. The 24th pick rookie salary scale is is a little under $1 million. So now the Raptors have picked up a first round draft pick as well as an additional $4.1 million toward the cap. Now they are down to $45.9 million cap hold.

Let’s say that the Raptors trade Banks to Grizzlies for their 43rd pick, no salary guarantee for second rounders. Let us say that BC even has to pay $1.5 million of Banks 2010-11 contract to get the deal done.

Now the Raptors would have $42.4 in salary cap hold. In addition they will have the 13th, 24th and 43rd picks.

So they will be $13.7 million under the cap level including have signed Johnson and three draft picks from this draft.

Good cap space and lots of flexibility for more more trades or a very good free agent signing. In addition the Raptors will have their MLE worth about $5.5 million in 2010-11.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Banks and Reggie for picks...I wish

Dude no one is going to take Banks and or Reggie off our hands and give us a 2nd rounder....

We would ahve to give up a first rounder to get them to take our garbage...

Why would Atlanta want Reggie at 5mil a year not to play

Why would Memphis want Banks at 4.5 mil a year not to play...

Why would they give us 2nd rounders for bad useless or close to useless players...

I wish...But no way dude....

Comment

it is what it is wrote: View Post
      Dude no one is going to take Banks and or Reggie off our hands and give us a 2nd rounder....

We would ahve to give up a first rounder to get them to take our garbage...

Why would Atlanta want Reggie at 5mil a year not to play

Why would Memphis want Banks at 4.5 mil a year not to play...

Why would they give us 2nd rounders for bad useless or close to useless players...

I wish...But no way dude....
      um, they both proved they aren't useless this year so you don't know what you're talking about.

honestly, i could care less what happens with bosh if he stays good, if he goes good, trade no trade don't matter to me and wouldn't if i was the gm.

the noly reason colangelo has had failed trades is because he's restricted by the bosses to do w/e.

they like their pockets to get as deep as possible per day.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

If Bosh just walks there is nothing the Raptors can do. More power to him for leaving a possible 30 big ones on the table for whatever he is going to. Frankly, I'd rather be that than trying shoehorn another layer of scrubs and salary into the team. It'll just be BC's ego talking if he does that and should be fired immediately. Take the savings and reset with defensive types who are available (even from Europe!).

Comment

If Bosh just straight up walks I wouldn't mind. BC's moves last offseason basically gave us plenty of depth at every position, and with the expiring contracts of Banks + Reggie we could probably fetch something decent come trade deadline. However, if Bosh is indeed just walking there's only a few places he can go (e.g. Miami, New York, etc). And if that's the case it makes far more sense to S&T him for a draft pick or two even if we get no players back.

Comment

Banks and Evans aren't useless, but they are vastly overpaid for what they bring, and a team looking to get what they offer could find a much cheaper option. So trading either one for a draft pick is highly, highly unlikely. Yes, I know they're expiring contracts, but they simply aren't worth nearly as much as they used to be.

Getting rid of big contracts, even expiring ones, will prove somewhat difficult in this climate, especially if the player is not going to be a rotation player. I think it's going to be very hard for the Raptors to open up more cap room if Bosh leaves and even if they do, you're going to have to overpay a player to go to a lottery team. Haven't the Raptors already got enough overpaid players on the team?

I think it's in the best interests of the Raptors to do a sign and trade because, at the very least, they could get a trade exception out of it.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

just putting it out their that both Reggie and Bank's contracts are ending after this season
              so that deal isnt that crazy as iswit suggests it to be

Comment

I'll be surprised if someone would actually take reggie's and marcus' contracts.

Comment

INFO wrote: View Post
                  just putting it out their that both Reggie and Bank's contracts are ending after this season
                  so that deal isnt that crazy as iswit suggests it to be
                  Their deals aren't horrible anymore, but why take them if you don't have to? What's in it for Atlanta to take on Reggie's contract for a year? Considering the style they play, I can't see him getting much playing time, so basically they are giving up a 24th pick, which might end up becoming a better player, and will be paying Reggie more than they would pay a rookie, for the chance at...giving the Raptors the 24th pick? Would YOU do this if you were Atlanta?

Reggie and Banks having expiring contracts just means they are easier to include in a trade. By themselves, they're really not worth that much because if they didn't make the rotation of the last two teams they played for, why would anyone want them?
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    Their deals aren't horrible anymore, but why take them if you don't have to? What's in it for Atlanta to take on Reggie's contract for a year? Considering the style they play, I can't see him getting much playing time, so basically they are giving up a 24th pick, which might end up becoming a better player, and will be paying Reggie more than they would pay a rookie, for the chance at...giving the Raptors the 24th pick? Would YOU do this if you were Atlanta?

Reggie and Banks having expiring contracts just means they are easier to include in a trade. By themselves, they're really not worth that much because if they didn't make the rotation of the last two teams they played for, why would anyone want them?
                    These were only the first teams that came to my mind. There are I am sure teams out there that could use Reggie for a year. If he is healthy he can still rebound. Banks could be a backup guard on a team with very little depth at guard.

The real question is:

If Bosh does have degenerating knees, would the Raptors be better off taking garbage in a S&T that will leave them over the cap and stuck with garbage if that is the best offer they can get or would they be better off just letting Bosh walk.

I think if they can't get at least one solid starter in return and no bad contracts that they are better off in letting him walk then just getting some bench players and lousy contracts.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      These were only the first teams that came to my mind. There are I am sure teams out there that could use Reggie for a year. If he is healthy he can still rebound. Banks could be a backup guard on a team with very little depth at guard.

The real question is:

If Bosh does have degenerating knees, would the Raptors be better off taking garbage in a S&T that will leave them over the cap and stuck with garbage if that is the best offer they can get or would they be better off just letting Bosh walk.

I think if they can't get at least one solid starter in return and no bad contracts that they are better off in letting him walk then just getting some bench players and lousy contracts.
                      The problem is, though, that there are going to be plenty of players with at least the skill of Evans and Banks available for a lot less this summer. Why overpay AND give away a draft pick? Banks could be a backup, but so could a lot more players you could pick up for a lot less salary. Take a look at the number of players that will be available. I'm sure you can get players just as good as Evans or Banks for a lot less than $4-5 million.
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

I think we have to face the fact that neither Banks or Evans will have much value, if any, this summer, except to even out salaries in a bigger trade.
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Banks trade I can see that happening, but Evans?? this guy has only one talent and it's starting to wear out.

Comment

The problem is, though, that there are going to be plenty of players with at least the skill of Evans and Banks available for a lot less this summer. Why overpay AND give away a draft pick? Banks could be a backup, but so could a lot more players you could pick up for a lot less salary. Take a look at the number of players that will be available. I'm sure you can get players just as good as Evans or Banks for a lot less than $4-5 million.
                          http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

I think we have to face the fact that neither Banks or Evans will have much value, if any, this summer, except to even out salaries in a bigger trade.
                          They have expiring contracts. I don't know how many players for $5 million or less will be available that can rebound like Evans and have an expiring contract.

The Banks deal as I proposed it would cost the buyer $3.3 million and they would get an expiring contract for $4.8 million. Teams trade second round picks for bench players all the time. Banks isn't really that bad if a team is looking for an expiring contract and an experienced backup PG. In addition, a lot of teams carry 3 PGs on their roster so I think he would be movable.

I think to take the attitude that neither of this guys is movable is a bit of a defeatist attitude. Its not like they are POB

Comment

I don't think they're immoveable in the least. I just think expecting something of any real value back is expecting too much. Teams trade second round picks for bench players, but there's usually a hope those bench players will have the potential to be rotation players. Evans COULD be, but he has shown the rebounding and hustle he brings is offset by his awful, awful offensive game that can kill a team's offense. It's certainly possible the Raptors could get a late second round pick for Evans. I don't see getting really anything of value for Banks at all, though.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I don't think they're immoveable in the least. I just think expecting something of any real value back is expecting too much. Teams trade second round picks for bench players, but there's usually a hope those bench players will have the potential to be rotation players. Evans COULD be, but he has shown the rebounding and hustle he brings is offset by his awful, awful offensive game that can kill a team's offense. It's certainly possible the Raptors could get a late second round pick for Evans. I don't see getting really anything of value for Banks at all, though.
                              My friend you could very well be correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X