Remaking the Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaking the Roster

Hey guys, I came up with a couple of ideas and wanted to get your thoughts. I think these are pretty good, but let me know what you think.

1st trade
    Tor trades Bosh to LA
    LA trades Bynum + future 1st rd pick

This obviously wasn't my own idea, but I like Bynum better than whatever else is out there, and the future 1st would obviously be a low pick somewhere down the line. Just something to get salaries to work.

2nd trade
    Tor trades Calderon, Evans and 13th pick to PHI
    PHI trades Brand and 2nd pick to Tor (draft Evan Turner)

Philly is looking to get rid of Brand's awful contract and I see this as the only way we can get the 2nd pick. In the process, we get rid of Calderon's contract and Philly picks up a legitimate point guard to give them a little more stability on offence. Reggie Evans goes back to Philly and ensures that they don't lose too much by getting rid of Brand (plus his contract expires after this year). We need a wing who can create off the dribble, and Evan Turner would definitely provide that. Philly would have to find another trade partner to get rid of at least one of their PG/SG's (Williams, Green and Holliday), but that shouldn't be too tough for them. I'm a little worried that we're not giving them enough here, but let me know what you think.

3rd trade - three way deal
    Tor receives Collison, Posey and Mo Pete from NO
    Orl receives Turkoglu and possible a future 2nd rd pick
    NO receives Bass and Pietrus from ORL and Belinelli from Tor

Collison put up Chris Paul-like numbers when Paul was injured last year, and he is as fast end-to-end as anybody in the league. A good piece to build around. Posey and Mo Pete are expensive contracts that we have to take on, but Mo Pete expires after this season, and Posey after next season.

Paul Pierce talked about how much harder the Magic were to play with Turkoglu last year. I hate the Celtics, but I hope they beat Orlando to give them more incentive to bring Hedo back. Pietrus becomes sort of reduntant if Hedo goes back, as Matt Barnes would be pushed to the bench.

I read Chris Paul made a comment on his Twitter that the Magic need to use Brandon Bass a little more, and if not, he would be happy to have him in New Orleans. They really lack depth on their roster, and this trade gives them some solid pieces, AND they get to cut about 2.8 million off of their payroll. Their owner (owners?) is/are cheap, so this would give them all the more incentive to make the deal. Giving up Collison hurts, but he plays behind Chris Paul. Posey and Mo Pete are basically non-factors.

Sorry, super long post, but this would be the end result.

C- Bynum, ???? - (would love to have Amir back though)
    PF - Bargnani, Brand
    SF - Weems, Posey
    SG - Turner, DeRozan, Peterson
    PG - Collison, Jack, Banks

Next season would be a year for development, but depending on how Evan Turner turns out, this is a pretty good starting point for rebuilding.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Kreza23; Thu May 27, 2010, 03:29 AM.

The 76ers want someone to take Brand contract without returning a bad contract to them. Jose Calderon is one such bad contract. While they might not be opposed to a decent, long-term contract (like Jack's), I have a feeling they're looking for immediate cap relief. In which case you'd have to do a deal of Banks+Reggie+DeRozan+13th for Brand+2nd.

The New Orleans 3-way is not likely to happen. Orlando didn't want to give Turk an extra year or that much money, and I don't think a conference finals meltdown has changed that. In addition, the Hornets are in cost cutting mode as far as I know, so they aren't looking to take on all those contracts for MoPete's expiring and a young prospect in Collison. Sure, we take back Posey, but he's only got 2 years left on his deal while Bass and Pietrus have 3 years and 2 years respectively.

The Bosh for Bynum trade is the only likely one, and even then there are a number of ifs before it goes down. Plus, Bynum's injury history is not something to overlook.

Comment

Appreciate the feedback Marz.

Here's my opinion. Calderon's contract isn't great, but if he becomes their primary point guard, he's not really that expensive. It seems really bad for us, because we're also paying a decent amount for Jack as well. And Calderon makes 7 million less a year than Brand, and his contract is a year shorter. With that 7 million, you can have a pretty decent player. Getting rid of Brand's massive contract is not gonna be easy for them.

As far as Orlando goes, I think if they believe Turkoglu gives them a better shot at a championship (especially when they're only giving up bench players), that they would go for it. And New Orleans definitely is in cost-cutting mode. In my trade, they would have 3 million less on their payroll. Their main objective would be to get under the luxury tax level (I believe they JUST made it under last season, and their payroll goes up by about 3 million this year). After this season they have 20 million coming off the payroll even without Mo Pete's expiring (Peja and Songalia), so Pietrus and Bass' contracts (9.3 million total) wouldn't hurt them.

Comment

Kreza23 wrote: View Post
        Appreciate the feedback Marz.

Here's my opinion. Calderon's contract isn't great, but if he becomes their primary point guard, he's not really that expensive. It seems really bad for us, because we're also paying a decent amount for Jack as well. And Calderon makes 7 million less a year than Brand, and his contract is a year shorter. With that 7 million, you can have a pretty decent player. Getting rid of Brand's massive contract is not gonna be easy for them.
        Yes, if Calderon is their primary point guard then it would make sense to be paying him that much. But there are two reasons why he won't be their primary point guard: Jrue Holiday and Doug Collins.

Jrue Holiday is their future point guard and they want to develop him as much as they can. With minutes also having to be given to their other developing guard, Lou Williams, there's not many PG minutes to go around.

Doug Collins has recently (I think yesterday?) come on the record saying that he would like to use Jrue and Igoudala as his defensive stoppers, allowing the 76ers to play more of a running game. Jose Calderon takes away that luxury and while they could still run with Calderon, he's shown that he's not capable of playing hawk-style defense to create those running opportunities.

As far as Orlando goes, I think if they believe Turkoglu gives them a better shot at a championship (especially when they're only giving up bench players), that they would go for it. And New Orleans definitely is in cost-cutting mode. In my trade, they would have 3 million less on their payroll. Their main objective would be to get under the luxury tax level (I believe they JUST made it under last season, and their payroll goes up by about 3 million this year). After this season they have 20 million coming off the payroll even without Mo Pete's expiring (Peja and Songalia), so Pietrus and Bass' contracts (9.3 million total) wouldn't hurt them.
        I'll agree on the New Orleans point although 3 million cost savings doesn't seem like much when you're giving up Collison. Bass really isn't an attractive asset thanks to his low BBall IQ and they already have a solid front court. Really all they're gaining here is Pietrus filling in the role Posey was supposed to play for them when he got signed to his unreasonable contract.

As for the magic, Pietrus is one of their better (top 2 with Barnes) defenders. And there's no guarantee that Hedo comes back to make them contenders again - the team has changed considerably since he was last on it, and teams around the league have changed as well. Taking on a big contract like Hedo's with hopes that it would return them to the finals like last season is quite a big risk.

Comment

ill make this short and sweet. hehehe

1st trade - Bynum would be the most awesome pick up for the raps, address immediately all our needs. But too injury prone...might be an issue later on.

2nd trade - agree with marz, they already have Jrue and Lou plus calderon is not a fit because he's more of a passing PG than a scoring one. The sixers dont have a big who is a jumpshooting, off the dribble scorer like a bosh or dirk. Brand is long gone. And i dont think theyd take back evans.

3rd trade - i think the Raps are intent on pulling off a winning season as soon as possible, taking on expiring contracts probably would set them back a bit. Orlando, even if they want Hedo back, would not be able to afford him unless they trade half their roster for him. Plus getting him would make VC a standstill shooter, i dont think his game is tailored that way.

Seriously, i want to hope against hope but we might be in for another disppointing season.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
            ill make this short and sweet. hehehe

1st trade - Bynum would be the most awesome pick up for the raps, address immediately all our needs. But too injury prone...might be an issue later on.
            Later on? How about right now and next season. I have very little confidence about him playing big minutes and staying healthy and productive.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
            X