Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And J. Johnson has a great handle. Rip's is decent I'd say.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

A00715890 wrote: View Post
      so is kobe also a pg? wade? lebron?

and ray allen is a great playmaker and a good ball handler...

and please,the stats are misleading..you would be crazy to think derozan is better than any of those guys just because his TO's per 36 is lower...

and one of the knocks on him coming out of college was his ball handeling....improving his ball hadeling will help him beat his man, so iam all for it....
      Ray Allen is not a play maker. He averaged a paltry 3.1 assists per 36 minutes this season. He is a shooting guard. Rondo is the Celtics play maker.

So you expect DeRozan to be as good a scorer as Kobe, Wade or Lebron. I think you have a hole in your screen door. Get real man.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        TOV% is the number of turnovers based upon the number of times that you handle the ball in a relevant situation. It has everything to do with it in my opinion.
        But DeRozan handled the ball very differently than Joe Johnson would handle it. When DeRozan got the ball he was either in a position to shoot it or he got it while cutting to the basket. Rarely, if ever, was DeRozan asked to handle the ball.

If there was a stat for number of dribbles taken, I'm sure DeRozan would have been so far down near the bottom against other shooting guards that his TOV% wouldn't even matter.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          But DeRozan handled the ball very differently than Joe Johnson would handle it. When DeRozan got the ball he was either in a position to shoot it or he got it while cutting to the basket. Rarely, if ever, was DeRozan asked to handle the ball.

If there was a stat for number of dribbles taken, I'm sure DeRozan would have been so far down near the bottom against other shooting guards that his TOV% wouldn't even matter.
          Your thinking appears to me to be like those who say that a player will never be an effective and efficient scorer in the NBA if their style of scoring doesn't fit the pre-determined mold of how to be an effective and efficient scorer. Sorry, but I just don't agree with that line of thinking.

When it comes to scoring it is in my opinion the results that are the true test and not the method you use to achieve them.

DeRozan shot 50% from the field and 76% from the foul line. He averaged 14.3 points per 36 minutes as the fifth option on offense.

S. Curry average 17.4 points per 36 minutes as the second option on offense. T. Evans averaged 19.5 points per 36 minutes as the first option.

Name me one other rookie in the league who shot 50% from the field and over 75% from the free throw line and averaged 14 or more points per 36 minutes as the team's fifth option on offense. I doubt that there are any others

I have no doubt that if DeRozan improves the range on his jump shot, gets stronger and yes even improves his ball handling that he could average 20 points per 36 minutes or better even as the second or third option without much of a fall off if any in his shooting percentages.

The bottom line is what matters especially when a player gets their points within the flow of the offense like DeRozan and Johnson both do as opposed to Jack it up Jack or I never found a ridiculous shot that I didn't love Belinelli etc.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Okay Buddha, you have officially confused me. I'm sitting here talking about how you can't compare DeRozan's TOV% to other guards, and you're sitting their accusing me of saying "he will never be an effective and efficient scorer in the NBA if his style of scoring doesn't fit the pre-determined mold of how to be an effective and efficient scorer"... when did I say that?

All I said is DeRozan needs to improve his handle and outside shot, and that comparing his TOV% to other guards in the NBA doesn't tell any of the story.

Comment

Special recognition will be given to
              1. Valerie Ervin, President of the Ray Charles Foundation, for exemplary support of Compton High students in a recent sponsored excursion to the White House
              2. Demar Derozan, NBA basketball player and recent Compton High School graduate.
              anybody, else ntoice that derozan is the only one that doesn't fit. it almost semms like someone just put him in their as a joke. it says all these accomplishments of people, and then it just says demar derozan-nba player.

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Ray Allen is not a play maker. He averaged a paltry 3.1 assists per 36 minutes this season. He is a shooting guard. Rondo is the Celtics play maker.

So you expect DeRozan to be as good a scorer as Kobe, Wade or Lebron. I think you have a hole in your screen door. Get real man.
                what are you talking about?

rondo runs the offense, but that doesnt change the fact that allen is a great passer....he can find people when he wants to but thats not the game plan for them because hes also one of the best shooters in the history of the league...

and when did i ever say derozan is gonna be as good as kobe....maybe read the post next time?

all i am saying is that shooting guards need to be decent ball handlers to be successful in this league...and derozan is no exception...point guards isnt the only position that needs to be good at handling ball...

i dont see whats soo hard to understand?

and please stop with the per 36 because patric obryant averaged 14 points per game and 10 rebounds per game last seaosn, if you look at his per 36...these stats are very misleading...

Comment

He isn't and probably won't be an eliter scorer, but I don't think it's impossible for him to reach a talent like Caron Butler in terms of handling the rock and scoring.

And no one is asking him to be a PG, but that doesn't mean he's a center, he's a 6-7 wing player who needs to develop his ballhandling/playmaking skills in order to reach his true potential. Being JUST atheletic doesn't cut it in this league anymore.

Comment

Well... DeRozan didn't have the balls in his hands (hahahaa) alot during games so you can't really compare his ball handling (hahhahahahah) skills with other superstars who have the ball in their hands alot.

hahahaha, no but seriously.

He still needs better dribbling. Sometimes, he just doesnt look confortable holding the ball.

Comment

DeRozan Goes For 46 In Drew League Pro-Am Game

Yes, yes Toronto: RT @IamAmirJohnson: @DeMar_DeRozan killed the drew league he ended up with 46... Had 28 first half....crazy 6 minutes ago via TweetDeck
                      I corrected some typos

http://twitter.com/stackmack

Comment

Working...
                      X