This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thomas1 wrote: View Post
    There is absolutely no reason to make this trade from our side. Agent zero's contract will cripple an organization like ours (which is committed not to go into luxuary tax especialy with their only max player is leaving the franchise).

Unlike some who think Hedo has no market I think he is very marketable; as proposed today Diaw for Hedo thats one proposition. Minisota and New Jersey are literally starved for forwards they will take him in a heart beat. New York Miami and the Clippers are also looking for small and power forwards (Hedo can play both clippers only need SF).

Why the hurry? Is Gil going anywhere soon! Also assessing the trade based on its roster merits (as opposed to salaries) No one knows how Gil will play; as far as I can remember he was injured for 2 full years before his attempt to make a come back last year which was never meant to be. Is he, can he play at the level that awarded him the contract +3 years ago??

We have two solid point guards and a third string in Marcus Banks that can hold his own for a good stretch in case either one goes down. Why do we need to look at another PG? aren't we better off trying to trade for a power forward or a centre (should Chris leave and Amir signs somewhere else?).

We dont need to hurry to make a bad deal, there is always one available if want to.
    Agreed Thomas. Believe it or not, Turk does hold value. I'm sure BC can do much better than this. Gilberts a good PG, but his contract is toxic.

Comment

I'm in total agreement with you too. No way Raps would want to take on such a max contract from gilbert arenas. This would be even a worst trade if bosh leaves because we be left in cap hold with no money to spell on up incoming free agency. Until bosh finally comes out and make it official that he's leaving, thats when BC have to decide whether hes going into rebuilding mode or contend.

Comment

They're not going to have cap space if Bosh stays. They're not going to have cap space if they do a S&T. MLSE said they're willing to spend above salary cap and so I say do the trade. Rid yourselves on two contracts around the same length for a player with more talent in his pinkie than the other two guys. Toronto is going to need a star player if Bosh leaves and they need a star player to convince him to stay for that matter. I'm not sure they can land a different talent on Gil's level. This is a time where Gil's market value is at its lowest, now's the time to buy. Hedo and Calderon together stink just as bad as Gil's contract but at least you know with Gil that if he's on the court he's going to do everything he can to be that max money guy you're paying for.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          Arenas never made the Wizards great even though he played with great guys like Butler and Jamieson, what makes you think he will do well in Toronto and make the Raptors great??

Arenas is a bad idea a very very bad idea, I'd rather for Hedo's carcass to sit his ass home for another 4 years then have Arenas on the team.
          Not sure what makes you think Butler and Jamison are great, but anyway.

Arenas would be another swing for the fences type deal for BC.

I doubt he'll be able to reach his previous level of production (consistently anyway). I'm sure he'd win the Raps some games, more games than Hedo would, but that's a pretty huge contract to have on the books for that long.

It is an intriguing thought though I have to admit. As long as I'm not paying the luxury tax out of my own pocket, I'd be curious to see how it would work.
          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Without Bosh this is a nono proposition. With Bosh it makes basketball sense with a real guard threat who can create and not afraid of the final shot. The contract is an albatross but it would be a very bold move with Bosh on the team. It's luxury tax time though but its a mlse problem. One can see how this can be a threatening team with a good draft and a couple of tweaks.

Comment

It's luxury tax time regardless, if they want to win games in the playoffs. Its about time they pay the price of being the contending product they claim to want. Fans have been spending a lot of money in support that goal after all.

Comment

I will not do it if it only involves Hedo. Why should we trade one bad contract to just get another bad one which is almost twice as large !! It just does not make sense. Gilbert is not a locker room guy, he is not a good influence on our young players , is very unstable and self destructive had alot of injuries and ....

The only way I do this:

Wizzard: Gilbert + a 1st Round Draft pick ( of course not their number 1)
                Raptors: Jose and Hedo

Why Wizzard will do this :

Because they need to move Gilbert and I don't think anyone wants to pay that guy that much money while he is waving a gun in the locker room and they will get a SF who may get back into a shape and a descent PG who can distribute the ball well.

Why Raptors will do this:
                Because I don't think we can off load both Hedo and Jose this summer and the draft pick will help us in our rebuilding process

Comment

The Wiz have the 1st and last pick in the first round. Something tells me to remove Gil they would be willing to trade #30. They also have #35 by the way.

Comment

Definitely do this trade. The suspension really was a bonus - it gave his knee what was essentially another season to recuperate. Arenas will only come out stronger and more thirsty to prove himself - particularly to prove to himself not just that he can be an elite scorer but as well to others that he can be a good teammate - if he ends up with a new team in a new city. I can see him in TO, and thriving in TO.

I would though like to see if TO could also get Washington's 30th pick (or try to buy a slightly higher pick - perhaps from Memphis or OKC)

As well, I would prefer to trade Jack over Calderon. Calderon is the perfect backup PG (forget about his contract. Luxury tax and championship intent or bust!)

Arenas/Calderon/Bradley
                    Weems/Bradley/Derozan
                    Derozan/Weems/Belli (Stanley Robinson?)
                    Bosh/Johnson/Robinson
                    Bargnani/Johnson/Evans

IF there is any cred to the idea that the Wizards may be open to a Turk/Jack/Evans for Arenas/Thornton swap, it makes it sweeter, as we could then use the later pick (if we can get one) to grab a defensive C.

Arenas/Calderon/Bradley
                    Weems/Bradley/Derozan
                    Derozan/Thornton/Weems
                    Bosh/Johnson/Thornton
                    Bargnani/Defensive C/Rasho

Comment

I completely disagree that this is a swing for the fences deal. It's not. It's an attempt to remain mediocre and convince fans that the Raptors have a chance at being competitive, which they don't. If Bosh leaves, they don't need to replace his scoring, they need to rebuild and figure out what kind of team they need to become, and trading for Arenas won't help that.

On top of that, Arenas has never been a good locker room guy and is definitely not the type of influence you want around the young Raptor players.

This would simply be an attempt to make it look like you're trying to do something when in fact you're just hurting the team. The shots Arenas would take would take shots away from the younger players who should be taking them.

And one big contract is far more difficult to deal with than two smaller deals, so financially, it would hurt the team, not because they would under the cap, but because they would lack flexibility. This trade would put the team back 3 or 4 years.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        The Wiz have the 1st and last pick in the first round. Something tells me to remove Gil they would be willing to trade #30. They also have #35 by the way.
                        Here we are then. I will not be surprised if we get them both and ship Jose and Hedo. But the question is that do we really want that? do we really want to have Gilbert in the locker room with all those young guys ?

Gilbert is a poison that Wizzard wants to have nothing to do with while Hedo and Jose are both serviceable, good locker room ( well at least Jose) guys who are over paid.

Comment

I changed my mind on that deal, if we want a gimp guard who hasn't accomplished much, we can go after McGrady. I rather get a good defensive 3.
                          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

McGrady is good on defense?

Comment

Hedo and Jose for Arenas is a HORRIBLE idea

1. We have no idea what Arenas is going to bring to the table - knee injuries, legal issues, etc.

2. Is contract is absolutely crippling - if he doesn't work out it will be next to impossible to move his contract. Yes, Hedo and Jose have bad contracts, but moving $10 million contracts is easier than moving $17 or $18 million dollar contracts. If you want to take on a big contract I would way rather have Kirilenko. Or if you really want a scorer how about trying to pick up Magette (who at this point is better than Arenas... in my opinion) for $10 mil a year.

3. Is Arenas an upgrade on defense? Maybe Agent 0 from three years ago is, but not Arenas post three knee surgeries.

4. Why bring in another guy with a bad attitude?

5. I know BC can get a lot better value for Hedo and Jose... at least I hope he can.
                              Last edited by black angus; Wed Jun 2, 2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

1. His legal issues have been sorted. The Raptors have doctors to study Arenas thoroughly. If the doctors say no, then don't pull the trigger.
                                2. If #1 passes the test then #2 is a non-issue. Four years left to his contract and if he even makes it through two of those without a injury his deal begins to become more marketable to teams looking to do a rebuild in the near future or teams looking to cut costs in the near future. Jermaine O'Neal has a worse track record with injuries, an equally massive contract yet he was able to be moved twice before his contract expired. The first time it netted the team moving him a 1st rounder and PG who had decent value(at the time) and the second time it netted the team landing him an expiring contract.
                                3. Arenas is a far better on D than anyone the Raptors had manning the point who doesn't go by the name Alvin Williams. Arenas has swag, he plays with pride, guts and determination.
                                4. He doesn't have a big attitude other than on the court. Was he known for being a bully or something in the dressing room?
                                5. BC is only going to get someone else's problem for his own. It's a matter of turning somebody else's problems into something useful and manageable. If Arenas is now healthy then he's just that.

Comment

Working...
                                X