Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Be Perfect, Or Not So Perfect... That Is The Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Be Perfect, Or Not So Perfect... That Is The Question.

If you've been watching any sports highlights last night or today, you must have seen the blown call in Detroit that foiled a Perfect Game for Detroit's Armando Galarraga.

There are no instant replays in MLB, other than to see if the ball has cleared the outfield fence in any homerun discrepancy. But you gotta feel after this they should put a little more into their instant replay system. Obviously they can't have balls and strikes involved, but what about balls hit close to the foul line or even plays at bases with runners being called out or safe, as was the case last night.

I don't know if they should be allowed to change the ruling from yesterday's game and give Galarraga the Perfect Game as there was still a play afterwards and you can't discount those stats really. But going forward they should really look into a system like the NFL has, maybe one challenge per team per game and if they get it right, they can attempt one more.

Any baseball fans wanna comment? Here's the video anyways...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=524...goryid=2521705

Just heard they won't be changing the call, but will look into changing the replay rules. Kinda throws my whole post out the window, haha! Discuss anyways...

Comment

It sucks for him. The was obviously the bad call no doubt. Even after having instant replay the MLB doesn't use it during games. I think they should and if they did they woulda noticed this was a bad call
      Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Check this out if you haven't heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P1oMy4WIf0

Jim Joyce and Armando Galarraga are obviously both class acts, so I can imagine only good will come out of this situaton for Major League Baseball.

As for amending the replay rules, I don't think they should have "manager's challenges" or whatever they would call it. When you think about it, there aren't really a lot of blown calls in baseball to begin with. The best option would be to have an "off-field ump" somewhere in the press area (with access to replays) who can signal to the crew chief if he sees that an incorrect call was made. If it was too close to reverse or if it had no real bearing on the game, he can just let it go. Any thoughts?

Comment

It's not a bad idea, but any single play in baseball has bearing on the outcome more than almost any other sport because there is no time limit. You could have 2 outs in the bottom of 9 and plate 20 runs, you know? The reason I said maybe do a coaches challenge is that they are already looking to shorten the game, and if there were multiple questionable plays in a single game not all would have to be reviewed. I dunno, just a thought.

Bud Selig said they will be reviewing the current system. The thing is they probably wouldn't implement anything until at least next season at the earliest which is kind of unfortunate. Only the NHL gets it right with it's rule changes, they do it almost immediately a lot of times. I think the other sports could learn something from the way they do it. This isn't as big a deal as a guy getting run into the boards from behind and breaking his neck, but he would have been only the 21st guy to do it ever and they took that away from him which is a shame.

Comment

Bud Selig is one major idiot. Here was a great opportunity for him to do one great deed as a commissioner and do what would be (in my view) a wonderful humanitarian gesture. And that would be to set right a major wrong which EVERYBODY agrees occurred (including the umpire). Not only would Gallaraga receive a record that is rightfully his but the umpire will no longer have to labour under the onus of being the official who made a great mistake (actually a choke job) and wants the reversal. In every walk of life, if one makes an error one gets a chance to set it right. And baseball is still an effing game last I heard where correcting an umpiring descision in such a rare circumstance shouldnt be such a big deal.

Comment

Working...
            X