This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using The MLE To Sign A Player For The 3

Grange suggested the Raptors will take a big man at 13 and it makes sense given the depth there in this class and the fact that Bosh may (likely) be gone. Beyond that, they're looking to move Hedo. Now unless they're willing to take on Gil they're probably going to be left with the option of taking a role player with an inflated contract. That player is probably going to be a bench player and so let's assume that's the way they go for this thread. If that's the case then we would be looking at Bargnani starting at center or power forward, along with the draft pick or maybe Johnson filling the other starting role in the paint with DeRozan at SG and one of Calderon or Jack manning the point. As much as I like Weems I think he's best suited for the bench in a sixth man role. All that said, they're going to need to bring in somebody to start at the 3. If you head on over to my thread titled "FA Power Rankings" you'll see a large group of potential candidates who may be able to start at the 3 and who may cost anywhere from a portion of the MLE to all of the MLE. There are also some guys who could be had for the BAE. I will list some of these players now and I'd like us to discuss how they would fit in Toronto. Also feel free to answer the poll at the top:

- Ray Allen
    - Al Harrington
    - Mike Miller
    - Josh Childress (R)
    - Ronnie Brewer (R)
    - Travis Outlaw
    - Josh Howard
    - Dorell Wright (R)
    - Tracy McGrady
    - Larry Hughes
    - Marquis Daniels
    - Matt Barnes
    Ray Allen
    8.33%
    Al Harrington
    2.78%
    Mike Miller
    5.56%
    Josh Childress
    5.56%
    Ronnie Brewer
    13.89%
    Travis Outlaw
    27.78%
    Josh Howard
    11.11%
    Tracy McGrady
    5.56%
    Matt Barnes
    19.44%
    Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jun 3, 2010, 05:09 PM.

Whoever voted Mike Miller, I certainly hope you're not offering the full MLE.

We need someone who can play defense. Unfortunately, there aren't many on the list. Matt Barnes is moody and inconsistent, Ray Allen ain't coming to Toronto and is on his last legs anyway, and offering Josh Childress the full MLE would result in it being matched by the Atlanta Hawks. So what does that leave us with? Is Travis Outlaw any good at defense?

Comment

I still like this guy at the #3 for whoever he gets drafted by.

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I voted for Matt Barnes, but not for the whole MLE. If I had to spend all of it one player, I'd give it to Howard or Harrington. No way Allen or McGrady would wanna come here.

Comment

T-MAC...HANDS DOWN!!! lol.

But in all seriousness,I think the 2 best realistic options are Al Harrington and Travis Outlaw. I also like Ray Allen and Ronnie Brewer, but don't think they'd be interested in playing in Toronto (Allen would probably pick another contender if he doesn't return to Boston and don't think the Jazz are going to let go of Brewer).

I like Travis Outlaw's game when he played for Portland. A solid contributor who did a lot of the little things. And he's pretty young (25 years), so I think if we're not going an all-star caliber route for the 3 spot, then he would be a decent addition. He has a long wingspan and his defense I think is a little above average so he'd be my 1st choice, considering that our defense needs more help than our offense.

Harrington would also be a decent pick up, but he's 30 and he's a streaky shooter. However, he has had games in the past where he's scored a lot. I don't know about his defense though, so maybe someone else here can point out how his defense is. Don't know whether he'd want to play for Toronto and if he gets more money than the MLE elsewhere, then that's where he's going.

The rest are okay, but no one I would put in the starting line-up to replace Weems. I would rather him start and use the other as the back-up.

Comment

He's a pretty good post defender due to his size, but his perimeter defence is questionable. The thing with him is he's a tough SOB and an excellent rebounder for his position, so I'd be more than willing to take a chance on him.

Comment

I'd go with Barnes, and maybe consider Travis Outlaw. That is all.

Comment

bodmon wrote: View Post
                don't think the Jazz are going to let go of Brewer).
                considering the Jazz already let him go to the Grizzles in a trade this past season, I don't really think it's up to them! hah

and if healthy, I think J.Howard would be the best fit. He's exactly the slashing, athletic type of 3 that we need. And I'm pretty sure he's decent on D.

Plus, if we get Gil too they can exchange stories about their legal problems! haha

Comment

[...] don't think the Jazz are going to let go of Brewer [...]
                  Um, the Jazz "let go" of Brewer a while back. He's on the Grizzlies now.

My vote goes to Barnes for no more than $3 mil per, or Outlaw for no more than $4 mil per. Restricted FAs like Brewer and Childress will likely require overpayment to secure their services.

Comment

T-MAC...HANDS DOWN!!! lol.

But in all seriousness,I think the 2 best realistic options are Al Harrington and Travis Outlaw. I also like Ray Allen and Ronnie Brewer, but don't think they'd be interested in playing in Toronto (Allen would probably pick another contender if he doesn't return to Boston and don't think the Jazz are going to let go of Brewer).
                    Just curious why you don't think Brewer would be interested in playing in Toronto. Did he say something? I find it odd seeing how he grew up in Portland, Oregon. Pretty close to the B.C. border.

Edit: He's under contract with Memphis too by the way. He only played 5 games all season so it's easy to have forgotten he moved there.
                    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jun 3, 2010, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I think Outlaw is easily the best fit of the bench for the Raptors. Most of the players are either too old to really warrant a young team like the Raptors spending money on, aren't good enough defensively, are too brittle or are restricted free agents whose team could simply match. I think Outlaw's stock went down because of a bad year, which is actually a perfect time to sign him. He's a good scorer, shooter, rebounder and defender. And he's only 25.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I voted Howard, I really don't like anyone else who isn't named ray allen.
                        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Ray Allen....if only.

Outlaw is my second choice.
                          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                            Um, the Jazz "let go" of Brewer a while back. He's on the Grizzlies now.
                            ...my mistake, I guess that pretty much sums up how much I follow Brewer.

As for Brewer not playing for Toronto, I think someone mentioned earlier that he's a RFA and so he might be harder to get for a feasible price. And if he's playing for Memphis and they might lose Rudy Gay through free agency, then I think they'd make sure they keep brewer (IF Gay leaves).

I guess I worded my earlier post incorrectly in suggesting that HE wouldn't be interested in playing in Toronto. It's more so that I see it as less realistic than Outlaw and Harrington.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                              I voted Howard, I really don't like anyone else who isn't named ray allen.
                              I'd completely agree.....if this was 2002.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X