This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulmer is High on Aldrich

Mike Ulmer has words of praise after seeing Cole Aldrich work out today.

"I have seen the future.

His name is Cole Aldrich."
    http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/pred...ch_060310.html

Who knows if he'll be around at 13, but at least one person likes him.

I agree with him. Been saying for a while now that if he's there at 13 they should take him.

Comment

I like him too but I'm pretty sure Detroit snatches him up, and if not them then the Jazz will.

Comment

When Detroit and Utah decide Greg Monroe, Ed Davis, Hassan Whiteside and Ekpe Udoh could all be on the board. There is hope he could fall because of the big man depth.

Comment

Is he worth moving up in the draft?

Seems like the ideal player the Raptors need, a GENUINE center. Not some hybrid or prototypical type player.

Comment

He is a true center
            probably wont be an allstar but is a double double machine who is good for a block or 2 a game
            good hustle, good defence, coming into this year he was getting some love as a top 5 pick

Comment

Aldrich is a center, and he is white. How does Utah not take him at #9?

Comment

Aldrich is a taller but a lot crappier version of K. Love.
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

LOL, you're going to sooo wrong on this one Buddahfan. He probably won't reach Love's level but he's going to be a very nice player in the league and he's a class act. He would be an instant fan favorite at the ACC. I'm bookmarking this for later.

Comment

Almost no chance he drops to 13.

He will be a solid nba player. He has good foot work, and a nice post game, but is not extremely athletic and wont be a good fit for a team that wants to run the floor (like BC and JT both talk about wanting to).
                    hit me in my inbox: phdsteve@gmail.com and don't forget to check out my weekly Wednesday Podcast: [I]The Doctor is In[I] right here at raptorsrepublic.com

Comment

I think I'm convinced as well. I saw the video here:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/cole-aldrich

Paired with Bargnani we'd have a monster front court. Monster. 5 blocks a game between the 2. I think they'd be a perfect compliment to each other. Bargs has been getting much better each year. Next year I'm pretty sure he'll be borderline all-star. Book it. Aldrich would also pair up real nice with Johnson.

I think we should try to trade our 13th down and try and grab a higher pick in the process. Grab Aldrich with the high pick, Stanley Robinson (or Bradley if he falls far enough) with the lower pick. Bosh would have to think twice about leaving this team (hoping the Turk/Arenas swap happens):

Arenas/Calderon/Bradley
                      Derozan/Bradley/Weems
                      Wright/Weems/Derozan
                      Bosh/Johnson/Bargs
                      Bargs/Aldrich/Johnson

If we could use the MLE to grab a nice 2/3 to replace Wright who can shoot the 3 ball and play good D - perhaps a starter - we'd have a pretty excellent team to build around for the next 5 years. Bosh will go down with injury at some point. Then we can simply move Bargs to the 4 and use Aldrich as the starting 5, and we're still looking pretty good. This is not impossible.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        When Detroit and Utah decide Greg Monroe, Ed Davis, Hassan Whiteside and Ekpe Udoh could all be on the board. There is hope he could fall because of the big man depth.
                        Whiteside is not top ten, and if he is someone will be very sorry. Udoh will likely be taken by the Clippers. So really Detroit has their choice of Monroe, Davis, or Aldrich, and then Utah picks shortly after. I assume Detroit goes: 1. Aldrich 2. Monroe 3. Davis, while Utah goes 1. Monroe 2. Aldrich 3. Davis. Either way by the time we get to New Orleans, they'll be taking whoever's left.

The Bigmen I see available at 13 are Whiteside, Orton, and Patterson. If Aldrich falls he's the perfect fit, but again I sincerely doubt it.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          LOL, you're going to sooo wrong on this one Buddahfan. He probably won't reach Love's level but he's going to be a very nice player in the league and he's a class act. He would be an instant fan favorite at the ACC. I'm bookmarking this for later.
                          Love is already a double double guy.

This season Love averaged 14 and 11 and 2.3 assists in 28 mpg at 21 years of age.

Love led all NBA players in rebounds per 36 minutes at 13.8. Please let me know when Aldridge does that.

He also an very high WS/48 of .138. Why is this so very high? Because WS/48 is limited by the total wins that your team has. The league average WS/48 is around .100. So for anyone to play on such a lousy team as the T-Wolves were this season with so few wins and to have that high a WS/48 is very very good. For example B. Lopez WS/48 was .125.

The T-Wolves won only 3 more games than the Nets.

Love right now is still better than B. Lopez. Love was better than him when they played against each other in the Pac10 and Love is still better than him.

You want to compare Aldridge to B. Lopez. Be my guest.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../loveke01.html

Aldridge averaged 11 and 10 in college and .9 assists in 27 mpg

Aldridge is the same age as Love, actual about 50 day younger and he hasn't even played one minute in the NBA.

Aldridge is a lot crappier version of Love. You can make book on it.

Aldridge may be a nice guy but so is Love. Anyway I am not talking about who is more likely to win a Mr. Congeniality contest

The one area where I will give Aldridge the advantage is on defense simply because he is taller.

In addition I would rather have S. Hawes than Aldridge any day of the week.

Love will eventually become an all-star in the NBA. You can make book on that too.

As far as Aldridge goes.
                          The prevailing opinion amongst NBA scouts has always been that Aldrich is a likely role-player at the next level—a player who projects as a significant presence in the paint defensively and on the glass, but can’t be expected to score much more than what his guards are able to create for him around the basket.

His age and the production he achieved as a sophomore left at least a glimmer of hope that he can develop into a bit more than that, though, which is what you would hope from a potential top-5 pick. His lack of improvement as a junior may have closed the door on that optimism somewhat in the minds of many decision makers, as it’s hard not to come to the conclusion that he’s taken a step backwards this year.

Offensively, Aldrich’s limitations remain fairly glaring, something that has only been highlighted by the new weapons (mainly Xavier Henry, Marcus Morris) that have emerged for Kansas this season, and are often far more aggressive than him.
                          http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cole-Aldrich-1250/

Sorry my friend that is just how I see it.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Please stop looking at stats and making statements like Kevin Love is better than Brook Lopez. First off they're completely different players with different roles on two very different teams. Finally, Aldrich and Love are two very different players.

Also, are you talking about Lamarcus Aldridge or Cole Aldrich? Wasn't entirely clear in your post, especially since Aldridge is a poor rebounder.

Comment

Apparently Ulmer isn't the only one intrigued by Aldrich. The Raptors are also enamoured of him.

Kind of an interesting day around the old practice gym on Thursday because there’s a chance the guy they end up eventually drafting might have been there; for sure a couple of the big who worked out are going to be on whatever short list they eventually come up with.

From talking to a couple of people after the fact, it’s for certain that they are quite enamoured of Cole Aldrich of Kansas, despite a somewhat zany shot (more on that later), and the Ekpe Udoh of Baylor (who has by far the best name of any kid who’s been) also turned a head or two.

Not so much Daniel Orton of Kentucky, who didn’t seem to be in the greatest of physical condition. With him having only played about 13 minutes a year last year and having missed his final high school season with a knee injury, he’s too much of a long-term prospect to be anything but third on that list of three.

Now, there is still plenty of work to do before any group of five or six finally emerges in the week before the draft but the group that was in Thursday was by far the most intriguing.
                              Source - Click here

Comment

Working...
                              X