This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overvaluing Amir & Sonny - Keeping Expectations in Check

From the way some people are acting on this site, it would seem that the Raptors franchise as a whole rests Amir & Sonny's shoulders. Now I realize that both played well down the stretch of the season ("well" being relative to how they normally play) but to expect either of these guys to be any more than role players on this team is probably unrealistic.

I love the game of both of these guys, but I just feel that expectations are being set far too high for these two young and promising players.

I don't think expectations (for most) are out of control. It's just that people are searching for things to be optimistic about after a disappointing season, and Amir and Weems both are young players who have the potential to get better. I don't believe anyone thinks the team future rests on their shoulders, but they are, hopefully, a part of that future.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

If they continue to develop and help us win games, I'm happy with that.
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Nobodys saying the franchise rests on their shoulders. Most people are saying just what you said there two young, promising players. Most people like these guys cuz they bring it on the defensive end. I dont think Amir should get paid starter money this summer because hes a backup at this point in his career but he does have potential to be a starter if he bulks up and is able to play low post defense on much bigger PFs. As for Weems, obviously he has to cut down on turnovers and improve his shot.

Comment

I think improvement in Weems' shot selection is more important than how he's shooting the ball at this point.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I think improvement in Weems' shot selection is more important than how he's shooting the ball at this point.
            Weems shot over 50% from the field. I don't remember his shot selection being noticeably bad. Ball handling and extending the range of his shot are probably what he needs to focus on the most.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              Weems shot over 50% from the field. I don't remember his shot selection being noticeably bad. Ball handling and extending the range of his shot are probably what he needs to focus on the most.
              Interesting enough Weems PER (Which is total offense stat) was only 12.9 and his offense rating was only 104.

Compare to say DeRozan whose PER was only 12.5 and offense rating only 110.

It just seems to me that offensively Weems' and DeRozan's performances
              last seems were pretty close their their games on offense are not quite the same in style.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...weemsso01.html
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                Interesting enough Weems PER (Which is total offense stat) was only 12.9 and his offense rating was only 104.

last seems were pretty close their their games on offense are not quite the same in style.

I don't think I have a clue what you are talking about.
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I said he needs to work on shot selection, not his shot. He shoots it well and I'm not denying that but unfortunately stat sheets don't come with pictures and so all I can tell you is that I've seen him chuck up some bad shots. He needs to cut down on those.

Comment

Extending the range is a must.
                    He cannot be effective in this league without being able
                    to hit 3's.

Comment

I don't think I have a clue what you are talking about.
                      My post was in response to the quote on my post, specifically the 50%. I was pointing out that those two stats; i.e., the PER and Offense Rating show that neither Weems no DeRozan had very good advanced numbers on offense.

So if you think that advanced numbers in analyzing a basketball player's performance are meaningful then you would conclude their neither DeRozan nor Weems were very good on offense last season despite the fact that both shot close to 50% from the field.

By contrast Bosh's numbers were PER of 25.0 and Offense Rating of 117.
                      Bargnani's numbers were PER of 15.5 and Offense Rating of 108 which shows that he was even only average at best on offense.

Of course if you only believe in the simple numbers than you will probably think that DeRozan, Weems and Bargnani were all above average on offense, which the advanced numbers show that they were not.

That should be clear enough
                      Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Jun 4, 2010, 08:23 PM.
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                        Extending the range is a must.
                        He cannot be effective in this league without being able
                        to hit 3's.
                        That's necessarily true, especially on a team that already has a bunch of three point shooters. It all depends on the kind of player he wants to be. I can list some forwards who don't shoot the three but are effective on offense by slashing, moving without the ball and being able to hit the mid-range jumper. Josh Smith, Shaun Marion are two of the extreme cases for forwards. Deng, Grant Hill and Maggette are examples of players who typically won't shoot on average more than one a game. It no doubt would be nice for him to have it but I'd much rather see him hone his game in the post and slashing and shooting in traffic. The team really needs it and he would find himself getting more minutes and more plays celled for him if he could do that stuff.

Comment

Rip Hamilton who has been one of the best SG's in the league on offense for the last decade has a career 3 point FG% of only .343.

He has had made only 442 three point goals in his career in 788 games.

The Pistons got to the ECF I believe six years in a row with Hamilton being their leading scorer over that period.

It would be a lot more advantageous to the Raptors if Weems and DeRozan significantly improved their defense rather than improve their shooting range but not improve their defense. Doing both of course would be very nice but as Hamilton's numbers show you don't need your SG to shoot well with high volume from behind the arc and make a lot three point goals.

In fact over that same period in which the Pistons got to the ECF six years in a row Prince was their SF. His career 3 point FG% is .370 and he has made just 405 three point goals in 583 career games.

In the end you win with defense

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...hamilri01.html
                          Last edited by Buddahfan; Fri Jun 4, 2010, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post

Both need to develop some three point range and get to the foul line more to get their ORats up. Demar is well on his way to becoming a menace at the free throw line. Meanwhile, Sonny certainly shows 3point potential based on his already silky midrange jumper.

Comment

I don't think they necessarily need to develop three point range, but to be able to extend their range out to 20 feet or so I think is important. A good outside shot would help guys like Weems and DeRozan because of their slashing ability. Hamilton is a great shooter, just not a great 3 point shooter, but he also never stops moving. Hes not creating a lot of shots off the dribble. A big part of DeRozan's game will probably be creating off the dribble, and being a threat from outside (whether or not thats 20 feet or 25 feet) would help him immensely.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X