Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would We Want Monta Ellis on the Raptors?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would We Want Monta Ellis on the Raptors?

If we end up losing Bosh and Turkoglu this summer, would you consider getting a guy like Monta Ellis to give the ball to at the end of the game running the pick & roll with Andrea Bargnani? Post your thoughts.

yes, how?
    Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

i wouldnt mind at all. it would be like an offensive onslaught every game...

But isnt there something called defense? I dont think Monta Ellis is a good defender. I'm not also sure if Ellis could run a successful pick and roll with Bargnani because he never really ran pick and rolls in Golden State and he's not really a true point guard.

I'm sure it would sell tickets. But im not sure if it would win games.

Comment

Curry please

why have Monta....if we can get Ray Allen for half the price

Comment

I think it all depends on what we get back from the Bosh scenario and Turkoglu scenario. Maybe if we can move Bosh and Calderon to Chicago for Gibson, Deng, HInrich, Johnson, and future picks/cash, and then if Orlando would take on Turkoglu(which i doubt they will), and cash for Gortat and Pietrus, then we can have a line-up of:

PG: Jarrett Jack, Kirk Hinrich, Marcus Banks
          SG: DeMar DeRozan, Sonny Weems, Marco Belinelli
          SF: Luol Deng, Mickael Pietrus
          PF: Andrea Bargnani, Taj Gibson, Reggie Evans
          C: Marcin Gortat, 13th pick?

Looking at this line-up, I'm not really sure who you give the ball to at the end of the game, and having Jack and Hinrich together would probably create a point-guard dilemma yet again, and so I would send Hinrich to Charlotte(who needs a point guard) in exchange for Nazr Mohammed's expiring contract and Gerald Henderson and some cash or future picks. I would then ask Golden State if they would want to take back an expiring contract and a yount talent in exchange for Ellis. And if they'll care to listen to my offer, I would offer them one of Marcus Banks, Reggie Evans, and Nazr Mohammed, and one of our young talents, preferrably DeRozan. I'm not sure how Golden State will like the deal, but pairing up Stephen Curry with DeRozan as your backcourt is awesome. They can also shed their salary the next year with one of the expiring contracts. In Toronto's part, they get a player who isn't a true point guard, but a guard who can PLAY and make things happen at the end of the shot clock.

Our line-up would then look like...
          PG: Monta Ellis, Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks
          SG: Sonny Weems, Marco Bellineli, Gerald Henderson
          SF: Luol Deng, Mickael Pietrus, James Johnson
          PF: Andrea Bargnani, Taj Gibson, Reggie Evans
          C: Marcin Gortat, 13th pick?

Again, these are just one of my Raptors fantasy rosters than i dream of happening. It's not bad to dream, right? Post your thoughts.

Comment

In all honesty, it's pretty much impossible to tell if Ellis is a good defender or not when he's playing in Don Nelson's Circus. He's definitely athletic enough to stay in front of people, so who knows... I like him as a player though.

Comment

Only if Hedo Turkoglu is on the team + only if Monta is used at the PG position.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

Monta Ellis?? Are we serious? Playing what position, exactly? He's not a PG and he's way too small to guard SGs. He gets by in Don Nelson's system because a) they run and b) they don't seem to care much about winning.

You can't go very far with a guy like Ellis on your team.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Ayo monta ellis are you kidding me? Iceed man, why would you give up derozan?? Im pretty sure when hes at the stage that ellis is at, he's going to be much more valuable. Imo we should be building for the future and if this group can win now that's a bonus. Ellis would just f up the chemistry. I am extremely intrigued by last years rookie class. Specifically the point guards (jennings, evans, or curry). Why don't we make a relentless push to get one of these future superstars? Personally i think curry would be a perfect fit also he has ties to this franchise as a child, with dell playing for us. I can imagine him signing here as a free agent in the future (crossing the fingers)
                  We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

hell no , he's a nutcase

Comment

No, egomaniac

Comment

I can't believe how much you guys are bashing him. How do you know that he can't play in a system other than Nelson's? He's never had the opportunity. What makes you think he's a "nutcase" or an "egomaniac"? As far as I know, he's NEVER been in trouble with anything or anyone. And I don't care what system you play in, you don't put up numbers like he did (25-4-5) without being a damn good basketball player.
                        Last edited by jrdyck; Sat Jun 5, 2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

jrdyck,

My problem with him has only to do with what he brings to the court. He's an undersized SG whose stats are inflated by playing in Don Nelsons system, which means you'd be paying more for him than you should (in a contract or a trade). He's too small to guard SGs and he's simply not a point guard. He'd be fine playing with someone like LeBron, Dwayne Wade or Brandon Roy, who run the offense for their team anyway, but on a team where he's going to be the primary ball handler, you're in trouble.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
                            Curry please

why have Monta....if we can get Ray Allen for half the price
                            because monta would be easier to grab he's younger, quicker, faster, stronger. all the explanations why he costs twice as much.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                            X