This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B/R: "Teams Most Likely to be Interested in Turkoglu’s Services"

Turkoglu does have an easy out in Toronto. All he has to do to win back the fans is come to training camp ready to play, and when the season starts, play well. Then it won’t be long before last season is forgotten.
    1. Toronto Raptors

Surprised? One shouldn’t be. If Toronto moves Jose Calderon in the offseason, Turkoglu is just the player the Raptors need at small forward to facilitate their offense.

2. Orlando Magic

Nothing hurts worse than not meeting expectations. Vince Carter couldn’t provide what Hedo Turkoglu did for them last season. If the Magic are willing to spend over their mistakes, they will trade to get Turkoglu back.

Gortat and Barnes or Pietrus and Bass are possible trades for Turkoglu.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers

Another team that didn’t live up to expectations. The Cavaliers have needed another facilitator to play with James and create offense when LeBron comes off the floor. And Turkoglu could have been the player who kept Cleveland’s offense from stalling every time James sat down.

Any deals done by the Cavaliers this off-season will be done with James’ blessings. If, of course, James’ blessings are required anymore.

Who Cleveland wants to move this off-season is still somewhat of a mystery, but possible deals include: Williams for Turkoglu or possibly West, Gibson, and Parker. (Assuming the reported $500,000 buyout of West’s contract is accurate.)

4. Chicago Bulls

The Bulls are looking to be contenders next season and the one player they have signed to a long term deal hasn’t lived up to earlier expectations.

Luol Deng has four years and $51 million left on his contract and has yet to get back to the statistics that earned him that deal four seasons ago. But at just 25 years old, Deng still has the potential to earn his contract.

Could a straight swap of Turkoglu for Deng improve both teams' fortunes?

5. Philadelphia 76ers

When Philadelphia let Andre Miller slip away to free agency last season, they lost their best (and only) playmaker. A team with playoff potential became an also-ran overnight.

Toronto has been looking for an effective shot-blocking defensive center. Samuel Dalembert is in the final year of that bad contract.

Turkoglu for Dalembert, straight up.

6. Detroit Pistons

After last season, the Pistons are amiable to trades. And there are a lot of possibilities for both teams to consider.

The Pistons need a facilitator like Turkoglu. Without a traditional point guard anymore, the Pistons offense is suspect.

Tayshaun Prince is in the final year of his deal and may be the Pistons' best trade asset.

Prince for Turkoglu, straight up.

7. Portland Trailblazers

Portland wanted Turkoglu last season and he was probably a better fit with that roster than the one in Toronto. And next season, assuming everyone is healthy, the Trailblazers have more big men returning than they have places to fill.

Again, assuming Joel Przybilla picks up his player option, one would have to believe that he is available in trade. But would the career reserve center be considered adequate compensation? At least his salary is lower and Portland is beneath the cap.

Przybilla for Turkoglu.

8. Miami Heat

The Heat are well below the salary cap and are looking to add free agents. But they are also looking to add veterans to play with those free agents and at least provide the appearance of having a “team” for them to play with.

It could also be safe to say that Dwyane Wade has had it with making up excuses for Michael Beasley.

Beasley just makes half of what Turkoglu makes, but because the Heat are under the cap, that is not an impediment to a trade.

Turkoglu for Beasley. The Heat get a proven veteran, the Raptors get a young prospect.

9. Minnesota Timberwolves

If one listens to the noises coming out the frozen “North” (yes Minnesota is well north of Toronto), one might be led to believe there is a playoff team here, just over the horizon.

But if one listens carefully, the T'Wolves star player, Al Jefferson may not be in the team’s long term plans. And if the team drafts DeMarcus Cousins as some predict, Jefferson is likely on the way out.

The Wolves are young, have a very young (potential) star point guard and are without any true veteran leadership. Hedo Turkoglu could fill that void and make the team significantly more competitive next season.

But the Wolves should be able to get more than Turkoglu for Jefferson, and they need help at both wing positions. The Raptors may have to part with their prized rookie to get this deal done.

Turkoglu and DeRozan for Al Jefferson.

10. San Antonio Spurs

Last season the Spurs picked up Richard Jefferson in an attempt to bolster their line-up. Jefferson promptly had his worst season since his rookie campaign. It was apparent that Richard Jefferson was not a good fit on the Spurs.

Jefferson is coming into the final season of his contract that will pay him $15 million next year. Jefferson hasn’t lost his shot, and if his ankle problems have been resolved, he is a very good defender.

A lot would depend on a medical assessment of Jefferson. But if he checks out, he would be worth the risk. The Spurs first-round draft pick would have to come in any trade to offset that risk however.

Turkoglu and Banks for Jefferson and the Spurs first-round pick (20).
    BleacherReport.com

I was wondering who wrote this trash, then I saw the link at the bottom.

I especially love all the proposed trades for expiring contracts. Yeah, right. If BC pulls off any of these trades, all BC bashing must take a one-year hiatus.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
      I was wondering who wrote this trash, then I saw the link at the bottom.

I especially love all the proposed trades for expiring contracts. Yeah, right. If BC pulls off any of these trades, all BC bashing must take a one-year hiatus.
      ya, "brother steve" does put out some pretty brutal articles. but, hey shit sells.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

i like the way he ends the trade proposal with "straight up"
        sound like a really, credible and experienced source.
        STRAIGHT UP!

Comment

Typical American myopic vision and micro-brain thinking.

It is possible that BC buys out Turk's contract and then Turk signs with a FIBA team.

Has to be a consideration.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            It is possible that BC buys out Turk's contract and then Turk signs with a FIBA team.

Has to be a consideration.
            I seriously don't see that happening Buddahfan. Consider how that looks on Colangelo. Ask yourself how the MLSE board of directors would react to such a proposition and how they explain that one to the share holders should they actually go ahead with it.

Comment

They just inked him last year to $52M guaranteed and paid him $9M to be an on court and media disaster already. 70% of what's remaining would be a $30M buyout. So, if the buyout was for that much, it would have cost the company close to $40M for one year of Hedo's services. A 50% remaining value contract buyout would lead to: $9M already paid + $21.6M buyout for a grand total of around $30M for on year of service. Try explaining that one to the boss.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                They just inked him last year to $52M guaranteed and paid him $9M to be an on court and media disaster already. 70% of what's remaining would be a $30M buyout. So, if the buyout was for that much, it would have cost the company close to $40M for one year of Hedo's services. A 50% remaining value contract buyout would lead to: $9M already paid + $21.6M buyout for a grand total of around $30M for on year of service. Try explaining that one to the boss.
                Could you explain what exactly do you mean with "one year of Hedo's services", because I really don't see any services performed by Hedo in the past year for Raptors?

Comment

I believe in some European countries, getting royally screwed in the a** is considered to be a service.

Comment

I seriously don't see that happening Buddahfan. Consider how that looks on Colangelo. Ask yourself how the MLSE board of directors would react to such a proposition and how they explain that one to the share holders should they actually go ahead with it.
                    I would agree that it is probably near the bottom of the possibilities.

However, if you go back to that interview that Turk did on Turk TV he said that his lawyers were talking to BC about a buyout. So what if BC can't find a trading partner for Turk and Turk refuses to come back to Canada or even to the U.S. for whatever reason.

As long as the Raptors haven't bought him out and renounced his contract he still counts against the "cap hold"

So it may come down to either BC having to take very little on the dollar for Turk, letting him sit in Europe and take up the "cap hold" dollars or buying him out and renouncing the Raptors rights to him.

Now it certainly doesn't do Turk any good financially to sit in Europe as a member of the Raptors. I think he would get suspended without pay or put on some kind of inactive list, like Miles was due to his injury. So Turk would not get paid but the Raptors would be screwed because Turk would still be taking up $10 million in 2010-11 in "cap hold"

So which would make BC look like more of a fool

A. Get $.20 on a dollar on a trade
                    B. Have Turk sit in Europe and take up $10 million in 2010-11 "cap hold" while the Raptors get no benefit from it
                    C. Buy Turk out for $.20 on the dollar, move on and free up $10 million in salary cap.

Option A is contingent on Turk wanting to come back to play in the U.S.A. What if he has a good offer from a FIBA team? So his attorneys say to BC buy his contract out for $.20 on a dollar or else he sits in Europe.

Now I will admit that this is a long shot because Turk loses a lot of money by doing this but then again Turk mentioned that it was an option being looked into by his attorneys. This option does neither party any good but Turk's attorneys may use it to try and force BC into offering a buyout rather than tie of $10 million in cap hold which will really PO Raptors fans. Of course that could have just been posturing. We shall see
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I would agree that it is probably near the bottom of the possibilities.

However, if you go back to that interview that Turk did on Turk TV he said that his lawyers were talking to BC about a buyout. So what if BC can't find a trading partner for Turk and Turk refuses to come back to Canada or even to the U.S. for whatever reason.

As long as the Raptors haven't bought him out and renounced his contract he still counts against the "cap hold"

So it may come down to either BC having to take very little on the dollar for Turk, letting him sit in Europe and take up the "cap hold" dollars or buying him out and renouncing the Raptors rights to him.

Now it certainly doesn't do Turk any good financially to sit in Europe as a member of the Raptors. I think he would get suspended without pay or put on some kind of inactive list, like Miles was due to his injury. So Turk would not get paid but the Raptors would be screwed because Turk would still be taking up $10 million in 2010-11 in "cap hold"

So which would make BC look like more of a fool

A. Get $.20 on a dollar on a trade
                      B. Have Turk sit in Europe and take up $10 million in 2010-11 "cap hold" while the Raptors get no benefit from it
                      C. Buy Turk out for $.20 on the dollar, move on and free up $10 million in salary cap.

Option A is contingent on Turk wanting to come back to play in the U.S.A. What if he has a good offer from a FIBA team? So his attorneys say to BC buy his contract out for $.20 on a dollar or else he sits in Europe.

Now I will admit that this is a long shot because Turk loses a lot of money by doing this but then again Turk mentioned that it was an option being looked into by his attorneys. This option does neither party any good but Turk's attorneys may use it to try and force BC into offering a buyout rather than tie of $10 million in cap hold which will really PO Raptors fans. Of course that could have just been posturing. We shall see
                      If Hedo doesn't show up for work he doesn't get paid. Talking about a buyout does not mean a buyout is possible. Also, the Raptors stand to lose a lot less in case of a standoff. Yeah, they have a cap hold of $10M but that's $10M that they're not paying out. Better yet, that's $10M that Hedo will never see. He's not going to beat the Raptors in a game of chicken; the Raptors save $10M, Hedo loses $10M.

One more thing, Hedo is owed roughly $43M. Do you seriously think he's fine with walking away with only 20% of that? In other words $8.6M of the $43M he's owed?

Comment

If Hedo doesn't show up for work he doesn't get paid. Talking about a buyout does not mean a buyout is possible. Also, the Raptors stand to lose a lot less in case of a standoff. Yeah, they have a cap hold of $10M but that's $10M that they're not paying out. Better yet, that's $10M that Hedo will never see. He's not going to beat the Raptors in a game of chicken; the Raptors save $10M, Hedo loses $10M.

One more thing, Hedo is owed roughly $43M. Do you seriously think he's fine with walking away with only 20% of that? In other words $8.6M of the $43M he's owed?
                        If he takes 20% of $43 million plus say signs a 4 year deal with a FIBA team for $30 million he almost breaks even.

I think his willingness to play chicken will depend on whether he has any decent serious offers from a FIBA team.

As far as MLSE saving the $10 million. They might do that for 10-11 but the team will be in dire straights operating with one less player, a starter no less and with the same cap hold amount as before. This can not benefit the Raptors performance in 2010-11.

If BC can't work any trade or a decent trade he is better off trying to do a buyout and freeing up that cap hold amount that would enable him to go after a pretty good player.

If Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team he could squeeze BC to do a buyout and why wouldn't BC do that? If the buy out is for 20% then BC frees up $10 million in cap hold and saves $8 million in 10-11 to invest in another player.

If Turk doesn't want to come back to play in the NBA or BC can't arrange a trade to team that Turk would play for and Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team then the buyout would be the best way to go for everyone concerned.

Comment

If he takes 20% of $43 million plus say signs a 4 year deal with a FIBA team for $30 million he almost breaks even.
                          Those overseas ball contracts aren't guaranteed like NBA contracts. He won't have the protection of a strong PA.

I think his willingness to play chicken will depend on whether he has any decent serious offers from a FIBA team.
                          He isn't legally allowed to play in another professional league while under contract with the Raptors.

As far as MLSE saving the $10 million. They might do that for 10-11 but the team will be in dire straights operating with one less player, a starter no less and with the same cap hold amount as before. This can not benefit the Raptors performance in 2010-11.
                          It's not that bleak. Seriously, being in rebuild mode and Hedo forfeiting $10M/yr isn't a worst case scenario. They couldn't make the playoffs with CB4 in the lineup last season, what's to come without him?

If Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team he could squeeze BC to do a buyout and why wouldn't BC do that? If the buy out is for 20% then BC frees up $10 million in cap hold and saves $8 million in 10-11 to invest in another player.
                          Hedo has no leverage beyond not playing, in which point he forfeits his salary. He killed all goodwill by publicly blasting the Raptors and demanding out. Hedo won't hold the team for ransom like you're saying, no, he would be holding himself at ransom.

If BC can't work any trade or a decent trade he is better off trying to do a buyout and freeing up that cap hold amount that would enable him to go after a pretty good player.
                          I'm not saying they shouldn't try but I am saying I don't think they'll come to agreed buyout one year into a five year $52M contract. Has something like that every happened in league history?

If Turk doesn't want to come back to play in the NBA or BC can't arrange a trade to team that Turk would play for and Turk gets a good offer from a FIBA team then the buyout would be the best way to go for everyone concerned.
                          Maybe. If he's willing to give up guaranteed millions for non-guaranteed millions and if he can get someone to sign him to those thirty non-guaranteed millions you speak of. In this current economy, with a dollar crisis ripping though the EU do you really think he wants to gamble with his money? I know wouldn't want to if I were in his shoes.

Comment

1. We don't know what kind of contract he may get offered by a FIBA team. I doubt that either one of us is an expert in FIBA contracts. So you are only hoping that he won't get a good contract offer from a FIBA team

2. Obviously he can't play for another team while he is under contract to a NBA team. However, if he gets an offer from a FIBA team he can go to BC and say "Look buy me out for $.20 on a dollar because I don't want to come back and play for Toronto or any team that you might trade me to" So is BC going to tell him to stick it and therefore be stuck with all that cap hold and no player? Of course not. He will try and negotiate a buyout.

3. The salary cap will be about $56.1 million. So if you tie up $10 million and get no player for it you are in effect trying to put together a winning team in 2010-11 with a $46 million salary cap and if Bosh and Johnson walk the Raptors will be in deep sheet. Of course that is the worse case scenario and most likely will not happen. However even the best case scenario with an effective $46 salary cap is not very promising if the Raptors want to make the playoffs in 2010-11 unless BC can pull off a miracle S&T for Bosh.

4. If Hedo doesn't ever want to play in the NBA again and at his age of 31? it is possible he could care less about American goodwill. Europeans are not going to trash Turk because he trashed Americans or Canadians. Just the opposite. They will probably applaud him.

5. A lot of things happen that have never happened before. In fact things happen every day that never happened before. I know of at least two finals records that were broken in last nights game. Most block shots by a team and most three point baskets made by a player. Neither of those numbers had ever been achieved before last night, but they sure did last night.

6. Again I no I am no expert on FIBA contracts and I am pretty sure that you are not either, or else you wouldn't be spending your time monitoring and posting on this forum. You would be too busy doing FIBA contract consulting and related work.

Comment

2. Obviously he can't play for another team while he is under contract to a NBA team. However, if he gets an offer from a FIBA team he can go to BC and say "Look buy me out for $.20 on a dollar because I don't want to come back and play for Toronto or any team that you might trade me to" So is BC going to tell him to stick it and therefore be stuck with all that cap hold and no player? Of course not. He will try and negotiate a buyout.
                              I'm not arguing that. I'm just asking you how are you so sure Hedo is going to get a sweetheart deal overseas that would prompt him to let the Raptors off the hook like that? Also, why gamble with an non-guaranteed contract?

3. The salary cap will be about $56.1 million. So if you tie up $10 million and get no player for it you are in effect trying to put together a winning team in 2010-11 with a $46 million salary cap and if Bosh and Johnson walk the Raptors will be in deep sheet. Of course that is the worse case scenario and most likely will not happen. However even the best case scenario with an effective $46 salary cap is not very promising if the Raptors want to make the playoffs in 2010-11 unless BC can pull off a miracle S&T for Bosh.
                              I think this is a non-issue. Business will go on as usual but what does Hedo do when Mr.Banker repossesses his mansion in Orlando or some other sort of over excessive thing he's on the hook for? How is Mrs.Turkoglu going to feel about potentially losing out of $10M because hubby can't get over himself? Pretty bad timing if you ask me seeing as the owners are getting ready to lock the players out after next season. A man with expensive tastes sure could use all that money to tuck away to weather the coming storm...

5. A lot of things happen that have never happened before. In fact things happen every day that never happened before. I know of at least two finals records that were broken in last nights game. Most block shots by a team and most three point baskets made by a player. Neither of those numbers had ever been achieved before last night, but they sure did last night.
                              We're talking money, Buddahfan. Money controlled by a board of directors placed there by shareholders who care primarily about the bottom line. A $8.6M payoff on $43M isn't a bad deal considering the situation but I think the scenario you're proposing is not realistic. I don't think Hedo wants to leave the NBA and I don't think he wants to gamble on tens of millions of dollars. If he loved playing overseas so much and he felt comfortable with how pro players are treated over there and could overlook the horror stories told by others then he had an ample opportunity last summer to peruse that. There wasn't even a whisper about him talking to pro teams overseas.
                              Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jun 7, 2010, 05:49 PM. Reason: Trimmed it a little

Comment

Working...
                              X