World Wide Wes Telling People James is Leaning Towards the Bulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Wide Wes Telling People James is Leaning Towards the Bulls

In the NBA, all roads lead to one man, whom you’ve probably never heard of: William Wesley—a.k.a. Worldwide Wes—the most connected, most discreet, most influential man on and off the court
    GQ

He is associated with many of the league's most prominent players, including Allen Iverson, Richard Hamilton, Michael Jordan and LeBron James. Wesley, who is also known as "World Wide Wes" or simply "Wes", is a longtime client of Iverson and James's agent, the Philadelphia attorney Leon Rose.
    Wikipedia

World Wide Wes has been telling everyone that he believes LeBron James(notes) is leaning hard toward signing with the Chicago Bulls. No one can be certain if basketball’s most famous middleman has been whispering honest insights to friends or amping the anxiety of Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert. Just know this: It wasn’t until Tom Thibodeau – who swore he never again wanted an agent – signed with William Wesley’s CAA that the Chicago Bulls grew serious about the coach’s candidacy.

Something pushed Bulls officials to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles on the eve of the NBA Finals and meet with the Boston Celtics assistant coach. Within 48 hours, the Bulls had a deal for Thibodeau to become their head coach. For several weeks, the Bulls had chances to interview him. They never did. Just a year ago, Thibodeau couldn’t get offers from the Sacramento Kings, Detroit Pistons, Philadelphia Sixers and Minnesota Timberwolves. The Celtics see him as a career assistant and wouldn’t even consider him as a candidate to replace Doc Rivers.

Only now, Tom Thibodeau has a three-year contract to coach the Chicago Bulls.

As one front-office executive with a franchise that has significant salary-cap space this summer said, “I think all the big free-agent deals will be done by July 1, if not the draft. The NBA would have a cow if [it] knew what’s going on now.”

Some league executives don’t even believe Bulls general manager Gar Forman was sold on Thibodeau, but it doesn’t matter. Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was. Everything is happening on the ownership level now, and that’s the reason Gilbert wants to become Jerry Jones and Danny Ferry wanted out of a Cleveland future whether it included LeBron James or not. The hiring of Thibodeau doesn’t assure the Bulls of James, but consider it something of a down payment.
    All the pieces stay fluid and evolving now. World Wide Wes whispers the Bulls for those listening, and all hell has broken loose with a free-agent chase for LeBron James that’s well under way long before July 1.
    Yahoo Sports

This is funny stuff...the first quote (GQ) calls Wes "discreet" and Yahoo writes Wes is "telling everyone that LJ....". I wonder what Stern thinks of Fresh Wes and his modus operandi especially with the finals on.

Comment

Stern

“It’s not about one player changing teams.”

Stern also ridiculed the idea of a Camp David style summit of the major 2010 free agents:

“I was wondering whether they would get together, eight players, and they’ll all look at D-Wade’s ring,” Stern said. “They’d be better off watching these Finals to see how you construct a team and how you play and the like.”

Boom goes the dynamite. I am not David Stern’s biggest fan, but that was wicked, brutal and accurate.
      TFT

Comment

When LeBron James was a rookie, he leased a place in the Reserve Square apartments in downtown Cleveland.

Not too long afterward, William Wesley, the ultimate fixer in the world of basketball, moved in nearby.

From there it wasn’t too long before Wesley had James caught up in playing Booray, the popular Louisiana card game. Soon the game became the rave for James and his Cleveland Cavaliers.
        Yet the angels looking down on LeBron saw that trouble was headed his way. There was this approaching flood of big bucks, and that could destroy you as quickly as anything if you weren’t ready to ride the tide.

There, to make sure that didn’t happen, was William Wesley.
        Wesley has long been an all-access kind of guy in the world of hoops, whether he’s observing a closed practice for Team USA Olympic basketball or hob-nobbing with his legion of good friends among the elite of the game.
        “Wes is powerful, very, very powerful,” explained one up-close source. “He’s got influence at every level.”

One observer says Wesley is mostly a watchful uncle, trying to ensure that basketball’s brightest and richest young stars find their way. They don’t come any brighter or richer than LeBron, of course.
        HoopsHype.com
        Last edited by Apollo; Sun Jun 6, 2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

How Influential is World Wide Wes?

It seems a day doesn't go by now where William Wesley (aka World Wide Wes) isn't making some pronouncement or another about the future of LBJ and the league as a whole. One day he says the team that trades for Chris Paul will have the best shot at landing James, and that sets off a flurry of rumors that have everyone and their brother making deals for CP3. Now World Wide is saying LeBron is a lock to bolt Cleveland and will be joining Chris Bosh in Chicago. So no more speculation about free agency - World Wide Wes has spoken!

Supposedly Wesley has the ear of many if not most NBA players (according to Wesley anyway). Do you think he's truly becoming one of the most powerful and influential individuals in basketball, or is he just a self-promoting windbag?

Comment

Raptomist wrote: View Post

Supposedly Wesley has the ear of many if not most NBA players (according to Wesley anyway). Do you think he's truly becoming one of the most powerful and influential individuals in basketball, or is he just a self-promoting windbag?
            I would say the latter. The issue with it is that he has Lebron. I think he is trying to use that to an advantage and gain more clients/influence, and I believe he will fail ultimately when all is said and done. I am not a Lebron believer, and I think the power brokers that are dismantling the league with this guy in particular will fall flat on their face.

Just a thought.

Comment

If it was common knowledge that any particular NBA insider would post every conversation he had for public consumption, my impression is that person wouldn't be involved in any serious conversations for very long.

If he does have any inside knowledge, I would imagine it's been filtered to drive a particular agenda so we're not hearing "the truth" but rather a carefully crafted PR campaign.

If the NBA really is controlled by this loser/nobody, then there are a lot of overpaid GMs out there.

Comment

Working...
              X