Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Rumor - Mo Williams Headed To Raptors?

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote bodmon wrote: View Post
    Like earlier posts mentioned, no one is really winning here. It's just a change of scenario type of trade and the pros/cons of both players pretty much balance each other out.

However, people always talk about team cohesiveness and that very rarely do you get a team that's been together for a long time. I would think familiarity and having played with each other before has some impact on performance and is an intangible characteristic. Would this trade make sense then? Is Williams, who might be a better scorer, worst distributor and same defensive ability as Calderon worth undermining the team chemistry/cohesiveness?

Maybe if we got a better defender in return, then it would make the team better, so yes. But I'd rather keep Calderon and stick with the familiarity factor than get Williams.
    A point but I dont think anyone can dispute that Williams is quicker than Calderon. I am unsure about the true defensive capabilities of WIlliams (havent watched enough of his defensive game) so it must be seen how he would fare in a retooled Raptors system. I dont think we should diminish the 3 mill. savings in the 2 contracts to either get under the cap or acquire another player. Also with Bosh possibily leaving and prospects of a large turnover the familiarity argument gets diluted some. Williams was pretty good with his alleyoops to LJ.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends if Hedo is staying or not. If he is then I'd do this trade if not then no way
    Last name ever, first name greatest

Raptors Republic Starter OzRapFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only if they throw Jamario Moon in the deal

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10 assist per game?

I would definitely prefer Jose if Hedo is moving (god I hope he gets moved).

BC has stated during his exit interview: "You want your starting point guard to average 10 assists per game."

Jose easily has the upper hand vs. Mo there and already has great chemistry with our "Young Gunz".

Either way, whoever the starting point guard is next season better be ready to play defence or get used to verbal beatings from P.J. Carlesimo.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    He's far more aggressive on offense. He's a far better 3pt shooter. He's a better defender. He's more athletic, faster on his feet.

1. The Bucks teams were in rebuild mode. How's his record with the Cavs?
    2. Mo had a higher true shooting percentage. Actually, his defensive rating was better than Jose's (107 Mo vs. 116 Jose in 2009/10). Oh and the net between offensive rating and defensive rating is +5 for Mo compare to +3 for Jose.
    3. Mo could make the Spanish national team with his eyes closed.
    Yes, he's more aggressive, and that's great, but Calderon makes more of a positive impact on the offensive end than Williams does. Calderon is the type of PG that makes his teammates better. The offense runs more smoothly when he's on the floor. Williams is a scoring PG, and worked well on the Cavs because the offense ran through LeBron and not him. And you'll notice that his three point shooting jumped quite a bit once he started playing beside LeBron. That's not a coincidence.

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    As bodmon said, it's a trade which has more to do with change of scenery. I don't see what purpose Calderon is serving on this team and trading him for a shot-maker isn't a losing proposition. Williams isn't the defender which we need (as Buddah said) but it's not like this will be the only move we'll make all summer. He's got a similar contract as Calderon but has a higher degree of skill and puts out a better defensive effort than Jose.

More than anything, this is a trade which makes sense because we don't need Calderon. Mo Williams isn't anything great and just about the kind of player you'll get for Calderon in a straight swap.
    You don't see what purpose Calderon is serving on the Raptors? Maybe to run the offense, especially with Turkoglu most likely on his way out of town. How many times did Calderon coming in with the second unit bring the team back from trailing after the first quarter? If both Bosh and Turkoglu go, the Raptors will definitely need someone to facilitate the offense. Williams can get his own points, but as I said, he's not going to make anyone around him better.

The Raptors will most definitely need Calderon next season.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    The Raptors will most definitely need Calderon next season.
    And for this reason, I kind of hope he gets traded. Tired of reading all the fickle QQ (what happened to all the Calderon > Ford and Calderon is an All-Star proponents?), and I think he'd do just fine playing in Cleveland with LBJ (assuming he stays).

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

my cousin loves him so yeah get him Now!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Mo's final three years 2010/11: $9,300,000; 2011/12: $8,500,000; 2012/13: $8,500,000

Jose's final three years 2010/11: $9,000,000; 2011/12: $9,780,993; 2012/13: $10,561,985

What that means is that there is also some costs savings going on here.
    Works out to exactly $3,042,978 with one, potentially large, difference not mentioned:

-- the last year of Williams' deal is a Player Option whereas Calderon's is guaranteed.

Do I think Williams will get a better deal elsewhere in 2012/13 and thus be a tradeable asset a year earlier than Calderon?

Not especially. A new CBA will cause some impressive salary deflation (imo) so I think Williams will exercise his PO.

UNKNOWN: we do not know, as of yet, if there are any buy-out clauses in play in either Calderon's or Williams' contract - if williams is an easy buy-out in 2012/13 then maybe the deal makes more sense.

In terms of overall impact on a team, imo, Calderon >> Williams

Unless something else, significant in nature, is in play I don't make that deal.

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Defence wins games. Management need to ditch our model of offensive oriented team structure. Young Lengthy Athletic is where we need to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doug dismisses deal

Yes, there was a rumour of some Jose Calderon-Mo Williams swap but, yawn, if we react to every rumour out there, that’s all we’ll do.

When there’s something up legitimately, you’ll read about it here.

Word I got on this one was: Forget it, put it out of your mind. So I will.
    Doug Smith's Blog

Moving on I guess, what's next? Things should no doubt start heating up with the draft just a couple weeks away.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god. I'm putting it out of my head too. Trading Jose for Mo Williams only signals that Turkoglu would be staying. And I don't want that to happen...

Raptors Republic Rookie mmissile's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    Defence wins games. Management need to ditch our model of offensive oriented team structure. Young Lengthy Athletic is where we need to go.
    Well said.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    Young Lengthy Athletic is where we need to go.
    Still talking basketball...

right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information